Anyone have scans of College directives?

by Hyghlandyr 11 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Hyghlandyr
    Hyghlandyr

I have been discussing with my current S.O.'s mother about the fact that JWs were not supposed to go to college in the past...and in someplaces still are not supposed to. She has family that are well placed JWs, aka well to do. Ive explained that there are double standards, for instance the Williams sisters can display their bodies but an average JW sister would be called into the library for displaying herself as they have. The mother I am talking to says that her family that are JWs ALL went to college. While she concedes that different congregations might do things different, she cannot believe that it was a stand of the JWs. This despite my telling her about the 1972? watchtower that called it the devil's propaganda. If any of you have references to literature that discusses the "dangers" of college attendance, and tries to discourage college attendance, I would appreciate quotes and scans if possible. Please quote the year of publication, the name, page, paragraph etc. Also the chapter would be good in case in a reprint the page number is different.

This link has some which I will use..but the more the better....

http://quotes.jehovahswitnesses.com/education.htm

and this one also of course:

http://quotes.jehovahswitnesses.com/1975.htm

Thanks in advance to the help yall. Goddess Bless. (Thyself)

• SpannerintheWorks
    SpannerintheWorks

Hey, good to see you, Hy, ;-)

Spanner

• Hyghlandyr
    Hyghlandyr

wazup spanner long long time no see. Pop me a shout out.

• LyinEyes
    LyinEyes

((((((((((Hygh))))))))))))) darn good to see you,,,,,dude. Where in the heck have you been??? Sorry I am off the topic here,,,,but I just had to say hi......., Dede

• Hyghlandyr
    Hyghlandyr

Lyin Eyes, Hello Goddess,

Ive been in cleveland. Getting ready to attend a community college this year. I might also start Over the Road truck driving. Not sure.

How'v things been with you? Good to hear from someone I know.

Not much been online lately though, nor postin nor chattin nor nor nor. It's sorta worn on me a wee bit. Kinda thinkin bout doin the hermit thing now...though it would be on the road:) A little alone time for some self relection.

• izobcenec
    izobcenec

For negative view on education, check the "Young people ask" book...

Some interesting WT scans can be found here:

http://pathfinder.sinfree.net/jwList.html

• Hyghlandyr
    Hyghlandyr

Thanks IZO,

unfortunately when I left cincinnati I left all of my publications...though my ex said she packed up my pioneer book with my diploma and other importants and a friend of mine picked them up from her. Hopefully I will get them soon. But all my old old OLD books, and I had a great many, are likely gone now forever. I will see when I get back to my friend who has my stuff. If so then I might have a young people ask book. In the meantime a scan would be appreciated by anyone willing and able, if not its cool and thanks for the help. I will keep trying:)

• izobcenec
  • Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

AWAKE! June 8, 1971 pages 3-8, "Second Thoughts About a College Education"

IN TIMES past, most people felt that the way to success and happiness was by getting a college education. But now many are having second thoughts about this.

What is responsible for the changing attitude? A combination of factors that were not so obvious a decade or two ago. These factors have now built up to the point where ?higher? education is in a state of crisis in many countries.

One of the most comprehensive studies on the problems facing education was made recently by the Carnegie Corporation in the United States. A participant, Charles Silberman, editor and former college teacher, said of the study: ?When we began, I thought the severest critics of the schools were overstating things. But now I think they were understating them.?

Inadequate Courses

One area of criticism has to do with the study courses of many colleges. Some educators feel that often the courses do not prepare youths for the fields they will be entering, or for life in general.

For instance, fundamental to the entire education structure is the training of the teachers. But of this vital area Mr. Silberman stated: ?I have yet to meet a teacher in the middle-class suburban school who considered his preparation even remotely adequate. On the contrary, the great majority agree with the judgment of Seymour Sarason of Yale, that ?the contents and procedures of teacher education frequently have no demonstrable relevance to the actual teaching task.??

This same criticism is also leveled at other fields of education, not just teacher training. Too often courses are studied that have little or no relationship to what the student will be doing after he graduates. That is why many educators feel that, for a liberal arts degree in particular, more emphasis should be placed on how to learn rather than on learning facts that will never be used. But that takes considerable skill on the part of teachers. And as the Carnegie report shows, teachers themselves admit to being unprepared.

Also, what makes the matter more complex is that the average teacher is more and more unable to give students the personal attention they need. Why? ?in the huge colleges of today, the student is lost in a maze of fellow students. The days when teachers had small classes and carried on question-and-answer sessions with about a dozen students at a time have been superseded by crowded conditions. Classes are large, campuses are congested like the streets of big cities, dormitories are cramped and some are far from quiet for study purposes.??U.S. News & World Report.

Thus, colleges increasingly resemble huge factories turning out graduates unprepared, or uncertain, as to their life?s work.

Financial Troubles

Instead of more teachers and better facilities being available, the situation is reversing. Why is this so? Dartmouth College?s president John G. Kemeny answers: ?Higher education, both public and private, is facing its most serious financial crisis in history.?

The costs of operating colleges rise swiftly, but income does not. Thus, many colleges have had to cut back personnel and facilities at the very time when expansion is needed. Already 500 American colleges are in deep financial difficulty. Twice as many are headed that way. ?Some small private colleges have already folded for lack of funds, and others are in danger of collapsing. Almost all public universities are just barely scraping by. And the biggest and richest and most prestigious institutions are finding themselves deep in the red,? says The Wall Street Journal.

Princeton foresees a deficit of over $2,000,000 this year, Columbia?s deficit for the school year beginning in autumn 1969 was $11,000,000, with 1970?s even larger. Yale?s deficits in recent school years have run as follows: 1967?$300,000; 1968?$900,000; 1969?$1,250,000; and 1970 an estimated $1,750,000. Yale?s president, Kingman Brewster, Jr., warns: ?If the present shrinkage of funds were to continue . . . we would have to either abandon the quality of what we?re doing, abandon great discernible areas of activity or abandon the effort to be accessible on the merits of talent, not of wealth or of race or of inheritance.?

Of course, not all colleges have severe financial difficulties. But increasing numbers of them do. Also, the cost to each student is skyrocketing. That is why some parents are asking themselves searching questions as to the advisability of sending their children to costly institutions that have such a clouded future with no improvement in sight.

Violence and Cynicism

Campus disorder is another factor damaging to ?higher? education. Colleges throughout the world have erupted in violence over various issues such as the Vietnam war, nationalism, racial injustice and the role of the college itself.

College youths have strong opinions. Some do not hesitate to make their opinions known even if it means violence and revolt. This has often disrupted classroom procedure. In the United States, ?the 1969-70 school year closed last spring with six students dead, dozens injured in campus uprisings, with 125 schools shut down for varying periods through student strikes, with higher education facing its most severe challenge, a struggle for its existence,? reported New York?s Sunday News. Some parents and students demanded a refund of their tuition because classes were not held.

In a study of campus disorders, a government commission said: ?We find ominous and shocking reports that students are laying in supplies of weapons, and that others are preparing to take the law into their own hands against protestors.?

So in the case of many young folks, college is providing another kind of education, an education in revolt and violence. Many are the parents who sent their children to college with high hopes, only to be shocked to see the way they turned out.

When colleges opened in the autumn of 1970, officials held their breath. However, there was not as much violence as in the previous year. Why not? Those close to the students feel that many of them have sunk into a mood of deep cynicism, having lost all faith in their government, their elders and school officials to bring about meaningful change.

Experts warn that such profound cynicism, although resulting in a quieter campus for a while, may turn out to be far more dangerous in the long run. In another crisis, that cynicism may turn into action much more severe than anything yet experienced.

What Moral Climate?

Violence and rebellion are not the only kind of revolutionary activity going on in college. There is another kind of revolution spreading. This has to do with living arrangements. Increasingly, men and women are being permitted to share the same dormitories without supervision. In other places they are often free to visit each other?s rooms at any hour of the day or night.

A few educators have concluded that this does not lead to a lowering of sexual morality. For instance, when dismayed parents asked about the propriety of coeducational dormitories in the college their daughter was attending, an official of the college answered: ?Did it ever occur to you that boys in your daughter?s dorm may look upon her as a sister instead of as simply a sex object??

Such a view is naïve in the extreme. To think that today?s young men and women, reared in permissiveness, will be put together in the same house without supervision and then regard each other only as brother and sister is incredible, a sheer fantasy.

Some adults feel that if the students have not learned right from wrong before going to college, then it is too late once they get there. But even if they have learned what is right, the solid Bible principle holds true that ?bad associations spoil useful habits.? (1 Cor. 15:33) Under the pressure of circumstances, being around other young men and women who see nothing wrong with loose sexual conduct, youths with previously high moral standards can have them corrupted.

Of course, some school officials, parents and students do not care about high sexual morality. But if you are a parent with a child in high school, thinking about sending him or her to college, do you care? If you do you must face this hard fact: without a doubt, college tends to corrupt sexual morality. Ask those who have been there. If they are truthful, you will rarely find one who says his morals have been improved.

Dr. L. T. Woodward, author, and graduate of New York University Medical School, says that while sexual immorality has increased very rapidly in high school, ?sex in college is even more widespread. It is possible to interview whole platoons of college seniors, both male and female, and find only a small percentage of students who have never had sexual intercourse.? He noted that while many enter college as virgins, ?by the time they graduate, four years later, a very high percentage of the college students will no longer be virgins.?

The truth of the matter is inescapable: for young, impressionable students, perhaps away from home for the first time, college is usually devastating to sexual morals. There is no reason whatever to believe your child will be the exception.

The Drug Scene

The disintegration of sexual morals is made worse by the current drug craze. Most students in college have at least experimented with some kind of drug. An increasing number turn to the deadly heroin habit.

At one college campus in New York, Marshall Berman, an assistant professor in political science, stated: ?What I think is involved is that a lot of young people are eating their hearts out watching their lives disintegrate so they take heroin so they can watch the disintegration and be amused.?

So common has drug taking become in college that the New York Times says: ?With the same openness that some students . . . do homework on the major lawn of the City College campus, others congregate there to buy and use heroin. . . . the presence of users in certain areas, such as the lawn and the cafeteria, is dramatically visible. During a 15-minute period after the noon class change, 12 people were observed making purchases.?

To Be Expected

True, similar attitudes toward violence, sex and drugs exist in cities and nations at large. But in college it is more concentrated and comes at an age when young people tend to experiment and are away from home restraint.

The result? A tidal wave of behavior that few parents want. There is a personality change that takes place that often drives parents to tears. The young are exposed to a climate of violence, cynicism, sexual immorality with its accompanying venereal disease and unwanted pregnancies, disillusionment and a turning to drugs. Is that the kind of climate you want for your children?

Yet, what else could you expect? An atheistic philosophy prevails in nearly all colleges. They are dominated by evolutionary thinking, which makes people more animalistic in their viewpoint. There is little or no restraining force or guide for their lives. This leads to abandonment of the Bible?s high principles that have proved to be such a benefit in the lives of God-fearing persons, as can be attested to by Jehovah?s witnesses who believe and practice those high standards.

Job Opportunities

Then too, what about one of the main reasons people had for going to college?that it prepared one for a better job? Now even that is open to question. Job opportunities for college graduates have never been poorer in many lands.

Placement counselors at colleges report a sharp drop in hiring of graduates by companies. Michigan State?s placement director calls it ?the worst job market in the 26-year history of the placement bureau here.? And colleges are graduating a record number of students who are competing for fewer openings.

Even those with higher degrees are having trouble. Robert Brocksbank, head of Mobil Oil Corporation?s college recruiting efforts, said: ?A lot of guys who went on to business school for that pie in the sky are going to be disappointed this year. A lot of companies are cutting way back on their MBA [master?s degree in business administration] hiring for the first time in years.?

Thousands of people with master?s and doctor?s degrees, such as scientists, educators, engineers and corporation executives, have lost their jobs in these times of economic difficulty. ?Unemployment among professional and technical workers has soared 67% in the last year,? reports The Wall Street Journal. One chemist who had been making $40,000 a year was laid off because of cost cutting. He said: ?I?ve written more than 600 letters and have not gotten one firm job offer.?

Another problem is that a company hesitates to hire a man they feel is over-qualified for a job. A person with a doctor?s degree, in desperation, may apply for work that pays less. But companies generally shy away from hiring such a person. They feel that he can become dissatisfied easily, and also as soon as he gets an opportunity for a better job he will quit.

Some have not been laid off from highpaying jobs. They have quit. Why? The Wall Street Journal says: ?Most men who have let go and stepped off the corporate ladder say any regrets they have are rare, and fleeting. Their disillusionment with their old way of life and work is so strong that it overrides any thought of turning back. That?s true even of those who aren?t sure where they?re going and of those who are struggling to stay solvent.?

Yes, just as many students are ?dropping out? from the college ?rat race,? so, too, many executives are dropping out of the executive or professional ?rat race? they entered with such high hopes after college. It has proved to be a sad commentary on the way of life promised by a college education.

Indeed, the disillusionment with the purpose and results of college is so great now that only about one third who enter college ever complete a four-year course. In a ?Report on Higher Education? issued at Stanford University in March of 1971 the following was noted: ?The majority of dropouts cite dissatisfaction with college and the desire to reconsider personal goals and interest as the major reasons for leaving school. . . . College is failing to capture the attention and engage the enthusiasm of many students. For some, it is a decidedly negative experience.?

Other Work

In days gone by, college did help many to find better positions. But times are changing. Many jobs today that do not require a college education pay well. They enable a person to acquire a trade that can be used in many places.

Until recently it was made to seem that a person working with, his hands was not doing dignified work. He was not considered really successful. But many so-called ?dignified? college graduates and professional people today wonder where their next meal is coming from, while carpenters, plumbers, clerks, electricians and others who have a trade and work with their hands have jobs. Some garbage collectors are currently making $10,000 a year.

It is no shame for a person to learn a trade and work with his hands. Indeed, these days it is getting to be the practical thing to do. That is another reason why some parents now have second thoughts about this matter of a college education. They choose to channel their boys and girls into more useful trades in high school where such things can be learned, at least in part. After graduating from high school, they may continue briefly in a trade school or get valuable on-the-job training. Then they qualify for a trade and avoid the anguish often suffered in executive-type positions.

Parents who are Jehovah?s witnesses have another very sound reason for channeling their children?s lives into useful trades. They know from fulfilled Bible prophecy that today?s industrial society is near its end. Soon it will be given its death stroke by Almighty God himself. (Prov. 2:20, 21; 1 John 2:17) After that, in God?s new order a reconstruction work will be done to transform this entire earth into a paradise. (Luke 23:43) Trades of many types will be very useful then, as will skills in agriculture and homemaking. So by guiding their children away from the so-called ?higher? education of today, these parents spare their children exposure to an increasingly demoralizing atmosphere, and at the same time prepare them for life in a new system as well.

[Picture on page 5]

How beneficial is a college education?

WILL IT REALLY PROVIDE BETTER JOB OPPORTUNITIES?

WILL CAMPUS ASSOCIATIONS IMPROVE YOU MENTALLY AND MORALLY?

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

AWAKE! August 22, 1994, pages 4-6, "Additional Schooling or not?"

HOW much education is necessary to earn a living? The answer varies from one country to another. It seems in many lands that the level of schooling needed to support oneself is higher than it was a few years ago. In some cases the minimum schooling required by law is not enough.

No doubt this is why an increasing number of graduates are heading back to school rather than to the workplace. Indeed, the rewards seem attractive. The New York Times cites an Economic Policy Institute report that found that ?working men with only high school diplomas suffered a 7.4 percent erosion in the value of their wages from 1979 to 1987, while the wages of male college graduates rose 7 percent.?

College graduates receive degrees that can open the door to employment opportunities. William B. Johnston, a senior researcher at the Hudson Institute, says: ?The college degree, or even the evidence of having participated in college, has become the nation?s major form of job certification.?

On the other hand, it must be acknowledged that many college graduates struggle to find work, and they are not immune to layoffs. ?The majority of my friends who graduated with me do not have jobs,? says 22-year-old Karl. Jim, 55, graduated with honors from a prestigious university but was laid off in February 1992. His diploma did not save him, nor did it help him to find steady work. ?Your foundation turns out to be sand,? he says.

Like Jim, quite a few college graduates have found themselves in what U.S.News & World Report calls ?white-collar purgatory??too young to retire, too old to be hired by another company.

Therefore, while college may have benefits, clearly it is not a panacea. Nor is it the only option. Herbert Kohl writes in The Question Is College: ?There are many successful people who didn?t go to college and many decent jobs that do not require college degrees.? One corporation, for example, hires noncollege people for positions often held by college graduates. Rather than looking for degrees, the company seeks applicants who demonstrate the ability to succeed. ?Once we find that person,? says a spokesman, ?we assume we can teach [him] specific job skills.?

Yes, many have provided well for themselves and their families without the benefit of a college degree. Some of these have taken courses at vocational schools, technical schools, or community colleges, at a minimal investment of time and money. Others have developed a trade or a service without any form of specialized training at all. With a record of dependability, they have managed to maintain steady employment.

A Balanced View

Of course, no form of schooling?including college or any other supplementary education?provides a guarantee of success. Moreover, the Bible accurately notes that ?the scene of this world is changing.? (1 Corinthians 7:31) What is in demand today may be worthless tomorrow.

Thus, a person considering supplementary education would do well to weigh carefully the pros and cons. ?Can I afford the cost? What type of environment and associates would I be exposed to? Would the courses impart practical training that would enable me to support myself? Would it help me to provide for a family if I eventually get married?? Supportive parents may be able to provide valuable counsel in line with the responsibility that the Bible places on them. (Deuteronomy 4:10; 6:4-9; 11:18-21; Proverbs 4:1, 2) If you are considering the financial benefits of supplementary education or any other aspect of it, Jesus? words are appropriate: ?Who of you that wants to build a tower does not first sit down and calculate the expense, to see if he has enough to complete it???Luke 14:28.

Indeed, whether to pursue supplementary education is a decision that should be weighed carefully. A Christian always bears in mind Jesus? words at Matthew 6:33: ?Keep on, then, seeking first the kingdom and [your heavenly Father?s] righteousness, and all these other things will be added to you.? Among genuine Christians, those without additional education are not looked down upon or treated as inferior, nor are those with extended education ostracized or dismissed as high-minded. The apostle Paul wrote: ?Who are you to judge the house servant of another? To his own master he stands or falls. Indeed, he will be made to stand, for Jehovah can make him stand.??Romans 14:4.

Jesus reflected this balanced view. He did not despise those who were ?unlettered and ordinary,? nor did he hold back from selecting well-educated Paul to accomplish a powerful evangelizing work. (Acts 4:13; 9:10-16) In either situation education must be kept in its place, as the following article will show.

[Footnotes]

Supplementary education programs vary from place to place. Schools, libraries, and government employment services are valuable sources in finding out what is available in your area.

[Box on page 5]

Supplementary Education

The Watchtower of November 1, 1992, noted concerning Jehovah?s Witnesses and the full-time ministry: ?The general trend in many lands is that the level of schooling required to earn decent wages is now higher than it was a few years ago. . . . It is difficult to find jobs with decent wages after completing simply the minimum schooling required by law . . .

?What is meant by ?decent wages?? . . . Their wages might be termed ?adequate,? or ?satisfactory,? if what they earn allows them to live decently while leaving them sufficient time and strength to accomplish their Christian ministry.?

So The Watchtower said: ?No hard-and-fast rules should be made either for or against extra education.?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit