Why do people get mad at the person who answers when they dial a wrong # ?

by somebodylovesme 11 Replies latest jw friends

• somebodylovesme
    somebodylovesme

Just venting for a minute.

We get a LOT of wrong numbers here -- several a week, sometimes several a day, because our phone number is one digit different than the number for the advertising department of the county newspaper. I'm quite used to it. What I can't get over is how people get annoyed with ME when I tell them they have the wrong number. Most commonly, they say, "well, if you're not the newspaper, then what's the newspaper's number?" and I said, "I don't know. Look it up." 'cause I can't remember which digit is different. I just had a call where the guy, finding out there was no one here named "Sara", gave me an exasperated sigh and asked what my phone number was. Then he says, "Well, that's the number I have for her." ... um... okay, well, there's no one here by that name. And he says, again, "Well, that's the number I have for her" as if I have kidnapped the elusive Sara and am withholding her calls.

I also had a lady who called the day after we moved in and was responding to a classified ad that the former resident must have placed. The lady wanted to buy our sofa. I explained we had just moved in and that that must have been from the previous resident, but that I had no forwarding information (apartment complex, you know). She got all pissy about how she wanted the couch (come on, lady!) and how I must know SOMETHING about where the couch is. No, ma'am, I don't. Fine, she hung up. Then she CALLED BACK the next day and did the same thing all over again. I'm like... nope, still no couch. She finally said, "Well, if you don't want to sell me the couch, you could just say so!" and hung up. whaaacko.

Anyway... I really do have a life, but I am about ready to cut the phone line some days!

SLM
    who has been eerily absent due to the JW family visiting here.. ha ha.

• simplesally
    simplesally

How about when someone calls and says, "Who's this?" I say, "Well, you called me, who you looking for?"

• somebodylovesme
    somebodylovesme

Oh, I know, I hate that too! Funny side note, though... sometimes when I call my mom and just say "Hello!", she says, "Who is this?" and I say... "Your daughter", and she says, "Which one?" and she means it. It's just funny because I only have one sister, and she's twenty years older than me and sounds completely different. My poor mom is getting senile, methinks!

• itsallgoodnow
    itsallgoodnow

That's so funny. I have that too at my job where they are calling the wrong number all the time and what usually happens is they get all pissy at me, like they don't believe me. Next time, I might try saying "John doesn't want to speak to you anymore" or somthing. Give them a reason to be mad! I love to mess with people.

I just can't understand why they insist on arguing with you.

Hell, they are probably JWs and can prove it to you in the bible that they've got the right number or something!

• Sassy
    Sassy

My sister used to have a number one digit off of the Comfort Inn in town.. they got calls CONSTANTLY..

sometimes her boyfriend got tired of argueing with people about them dialing wrong and just took the reservation...

• kat2u
    kat2u

Ive had some really funny experiences with wrong numbers.Once when someone called we told them it was the wrong number so they tried again and again and kept calling us.well we thought it would be fun to answer the phone with different accents and sometimes stange businessess.massage parlors and funeral homes.took this poor person waaayy too long to catch on.

Another time some poor women was sure her husband was there alone with me.And I had no clue who this guy was or his wife in fact I felt very bad for her and ended up ,after I convinced her I didnt know him, trying to calm her down and comfort her.

• no one
    no one

Phone: Ring, ring!!!

Me: Hello?

Caller: Is Sarah there?

Me: Sorry, you have the wrong number.

Caller: Are you sure?

Me: Have I ever lied to you before? (Hangs up)

• Tuesday
    Tuesday

Our number was one number off of home depot, people would actually leave messages on our machine which said "Hello (long pause) Nah just kidding no one's here so leave a message" with the order they wanted. Or they'd ask the hours that home depot is open. It got so annoying after a while I would just take the order and then give them a fake name to ask for, "Yeah just ask for Jack, oh my last name is Meoff" My favorite was using names people wouldn't get unless they thought about it, "Oh ask for Mr. Amah, my first name is Neil but most people call me N." or simpler "Benjamin Dover, you can just ask for Ben". Makes me laugh just thinking of people going to home depot saying "I have sink number 55247 on hold with Ben." "Ben, Ben who?" "Ben Dover...". "I swear the guy told me people call him N. so his name would be N. Amah"

• talesin
    talesin

Once, we had a number that was previously that of a toy store.

This woman called three times in a row, I told her it was not the toy store. On the fourth call, I just pretended I was a clerk, answered her question "No, we don't stock that anymore."

My favourite though, is telemarketers,

me: Hello?

Hello, is this Mrs. So-and-so?

me: I'm not interested in talking to you.

When would be a convenient time for me to call back?

me: I'll tell you what, give me your number and I'll call YOU back later this evening.

I can't give you my home phone number!!!

me: Exactly! *click*

btw, I have a fictitious name listed in phone book, so I always KNOW when it's a telemarketer.

talesin

• desib77
    desib77

We had a woman who kept dialing the wrong number. She would call at all hours night and day. We kept telling her that this was the wrong number but she continued to call. My husband got fed up with it one day and called her number back, hung up, called her number, hung up and kept doing this to show her how annoying it is. The last time he called she picked up the phone and said, "You ARE the weakest link,,,,,,, good bye."

The next day I ordered call block...

Desi

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit