Do you ever feel like a member of the XJW cult??

by DIM 20 Replies latest jw experiences

• DIM
    DIM

What I specifically mean, is, sometimes do you feel frustrated that you are bound to XJW things / topics / issues? Once an xjw, always an anti jw type thing? Since leaving the organization in 2002 I've done a pretty good job of moving on, making "worldy" friends, met up w/ some wonderful XJW's (princess and family), and really don't think too much about how much pain JW's have caused me.....but every now and then I find myself compelled to read this board for hours...look up new teachings that make no sense......so in a way I feel forever bound to the XJW world....which I'm not sure is a good thing or a bad thing. Just who I am I guess....What are your opinions??

• franklin J
    franklin J

it is part of who we are; our back ground; however harmless, it is still there.

I have been out for 20 years and have recently discovered this forum. Yes, the JW part of my life is ancient history . I live in a completely different world and perspective of life than I had as a JW.

I enjoy the camaraderie on this forum, and enjoy the communication with others who have shared our very unique experiences in life.

• Sassy
    Sassy

I haven't been out that long, less than a yr, so I am not sure how a yr from now I will feel or even 5 yrs from now. I have made several non JW friends since quitting, and so I can't say that even now, my life is caught up with only xJW things. It isn't. But it is nice to come here and 'bond' in a way with people who do understand our past. Like Franklin said, it will always be a part of our past and a part of who we are to some extent depending on how engrained it was put into them and even for how long. Some of us were raised with this mindset and I assume it will take years to deal with. It was an abuse. Do you ever get over it? Probably not, but like abuse victims, we learn to cope and move on somehow. But that moving on does not mean we have to cut off association with other people who understand where we come from.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

You should not question such things.

The older XJWs here are working as your servants to help you along the path to properly approved independnt thinking - it would be unwise for you to resist them or limit your association with them, lest you become spiritually weak and fall back under the spell of the watchtower.

If you leave the XJW community, no XJW will ever speak with you again.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine
    Just who I am I guess....

That pretty much sums it up for every one of us, whether we pretend otherwise or not.

• Phantom Stranger
    Phantom Stranger

You make a good point, as the only place I tie into that part of my past is here...

TIme for another vacation.

• Gopher
    Gopher

LOL @ Nathan. I swear my allegiance to the XJW community, and to the apostate organization for which it stands.

BTW, who's our cult leader?

Gopher of the "I'll always be an XJW" class

• franklin J
    franklin J

our cult leader? why, Simon, of course!

"SIMON ! SIMOM! SIMON!" ( multitudes bowing down) ( proceeding to make a golden calve--er--chip)

• zen nudist
    zen nudist

depending on how long you were in, there is a lot of brain wiring devoted to JW and bible things....they are after all very powerful social engineers....so no matter how long out, activating those old programs is going to be like activating those old addiction programs and habits....like the smoker who has not touched a cig in years and then suddenly finds one lit in his mouth....it feels like only a moment has transpired over all those years.... one of the reason many children leave JWs as rebellious teens and end up back in as devoted parents later down the road...especially those who never took the time to investigate other views.

I still like arguing the trinity with the standard christians even though I have no stake in it any more as I now view the bible as nothing more than mythology of the hebrew persuasion.

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie

Nope. I feel more like this is Jdubs-Anonymous...like AA

Frannie B

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit