The poem INVICTUS - what a piece of crap!

by Tallyman 17 Replies latest jw friends

• Tallyman
  • Cygnus
    Cygnus

My good friend COMF happens to quite like that particular piece. So do I.

As a matter of interest, in case anyone might be interested: I knew Tim McVeigh from back in the '80s when we corresponded occasionally via local C64 BBS's (he lived 20 miles away when we were teenagers).

• expatbrit
    expatbrit

Tallyman:

What a curious little diatribe! You appear to have transferred your anger and hatred for McVeigh onto the long dead poet that he happened to quote.

Henley can hardly be blamed if an evil person such as McVeigh chooses to quote him. There is no reason to suppose Henley would have agreed or sympathised with McVeigh in any way whatsoever.

If McVeigh's last words had been "once more into the breach, dear friends, once more!", would you have presented to us an essay on why Shakespeare was an asshole?

Expatbrit

• rem
    rem

Cygnus,

You had a C64 too?!! I've still got mine up in the closet. I don't think I'll ever get rid of it for sentimental reasons. Never had a modem for it, though - couldn't afford it LOL. I had the datasette tape recorder and the huge, loud floppy drive and tons of games and BASIC programs, though. Reminiscing.... those were the days....

rem

• Seeker
    Seeker

How very interesting, Cyg. I'm sure he was a normal guy back then. Just goes to show the power of propaganda. Although I understand some of what McVeigh was fighting against, I also see that the militia groups he fell in with are extremists. He believed what they said, and it affected him to ultimately do an evil act.

A good lesson for all of us who once were part of an organization that taught us extremist views, such as rejoicing that soon 6 billions persons would be killed instead of a mere 168. Groupthink is a powerful, and sometimes deadly, thing. We must ever be on guard against being caught up in it.

• Tallyman
    Tallyman

Cyg,

My good friend COMF happens to quite like that particular piece. So do I.

Yeah.
    So, what is your interpretation of why you like it, as you've already guessed (probably) that I think it is the epitome of Arrogance?

You quite like it?
    Zat it?
    Will you go into WHY you like it?
    ... since at the moment, it is so current and on a lot of minds.

(edited for html tags...)

• Tallyman
    Tallyman

expatbrit

Tallyman:
    What a curious little diatribe!

I think I called it my open interpretation of a poem.

"curious" in what way?

What is your interpretation of the poem by your fellow Brit, Henley?

You appear to have transferred your anger and hatred for McVeigh onto the long dead poet that he happened to quote.

Appearances deceived you.
    I know of Timothy McVeigh far more than I know of William E. Henley.
    I demonstrated much more distaste for Henley than I did for McVeigh, because it was Henley's poem I was disagreeing with. McVeigh did not write it. I've read little of the writings of McVeigh.

Curious that you would word it "he (McVeigh) happened to quote", ...
    McVeigh did not perchance happen upon a 125 year old poem and go ahah! I think I'll use this as my "Last Words" when they execute me.

McVeigh identified with the words of Henley. He made them his.
    Henley's Stratospheric Arrogance appealed highly to McVeigh and McVeigh made sure the poem would be remembered as "his" last words.

Yes, curious that you just said he happened to quote a poem (he just happened to come across?).

Henley can hardly be blamed if an evil person such as McVeigh chooses to quote him. There is no reason to suppose Henley would
    have agreed or sympathised with McVeigh in any way whatsoever.

And if you read the link I posted, just where the hell did I even remotely indicate that?

If McVeigh's last words had been "once more into the breach, dear friends, once more!", would you have presented to us an essay on
    why Shakespeare was an asshole?

If Shakespeare or any other Brit or an Irishman or a Czechoslovakian came across in a print piece with the Supreme Arrogance that Henley did, the answer is "Yes", I would have at least presented a mini-essay about why I interpreted him or her as an Asshole.

• COMF
    COMF

Struggling inside a little bit these days, Tom? That's okay. Rant on, dude, it's good for the soul.

COMF

• Tallyman
    Tallyman

Okay KOMF,

I gots a good Rant tomorrow.

Just for you.

Look for it.

• COMF
    COMF

Yea, verily I say unto thee: it shall be read.

COMF

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit