Racism In The Organization

by Hunyadi 35 Replies latest jw friends

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

Although they preach differently from the platform, racism is very alive and well in the Organization.

DY

• got my forty homey?
    got my forty homey?

Of course there is racism in the Borg. They open branch offices in foriegn countries and the head of the branch is always a white/europeein man. The governing body for decades never has had a non-white on its board. I know there must be "anointed" people in Africa,south america,mexico,pacific islands. I was a victim of racism at bethel because I was a hispanic from the City. My Father first opposed my marrying my wife (who is African-American) and he was a big shot Elder in the congo. In fact he said to me, aren't there any Puerto Rican girls to marry?

Its the biggest joke in the world the Watchtower Society.

• Pleasuredome
    Pleasuredome

one of my local elders told me about 3 years ago that he didnt like black men much even black jw's, because they all had a chip on their shoulders.

• Sassy
    Sassy

My first husband and I attended a hall in Indianapolis many years ago. He was an electrician and since there was no work at home, the union sent him out on a job out of state. I joined him when it looked like it would me a long job. This hall had a mix of white and black brothers and sisters. Although I did not notice it at first, the majority of the black members sat in the back while the white ones sat in the front. Because we were totally not racist, we were getting to know people in the hall from both sides. I remember the day I told a family from the front about a sister who lived next door to us and what a surprise it was to find that out. They asked who she was and we told her. They had no idea who she was. We said, she goes to the hall and we described her. Their response was, OH, she must sit in the back part of the hall.

They barely intermixed between the two sections we realized after that.. We were just floored.. never expecting that in the org.

• wannaexit
    wannaexit
    He said that they openly discouraged him from marrying the woman he loved because she was black and it would cause too many problems for everyone.

That sounds about right. Racism is very much alive among Jw's.

wannaexit

• Sassy
    Sassy

well racism makes me sick. We sure were taught we were not supposed to be preduced and that we were worshiping an impartial God. practice what we preach huh?

I have never had much time for racism. I don't care who I am talking to. That is the one time I rarely keep my mouth shut because it pisses me off.

• ColdRedRain
    ColdRedRain
    About nine years ago, when I (a Caucasian) was considering marrying a non-Caucasian, my parents, both JW's for over 4 decades, opposed it. My dad, a JW elder, said "there is a reason Jehovah created the races," clearly implying that they should stay separate rather than intermix. I pointed out, to no avail, that some of the children of these racially-mixed marriages are among the most beautiful children I had ever seen. If "Jehovah" had not meant for this possibility, such children would be impossible or deformed

And you're the one that's considered "immoral".

Well, what do you expect of a religion that says that their unpaied and unlearned ministers are trained well enough to debunk students of anceint Greek and Hebrew.

BTW Goph, I hope I'm not wrong, but if I'm wrong, I'll delete this. Didn't your parents do the same whining when you were sort of going out with Sh*********?

• talesin
    talesin

It seems to me that one's own family and their views makes the huge difference.

In our house, a racist comment would get you the 'belt'. No ifs, ands or buts. We were taught that all were the same (as long as they were JW, mind you ). My parents thought it was ridiculous that some whites thought blacks smelled different, had a larger 'package', were in any intrinsic way different. Same went w/ aboriginal peoples, arabs etc.

Caucasian was only our history - not an identity. JW was our identity.

Therefore, the race of a brudder or sista was not the question at home.

HOWEVER,

I have a friend (hard to believe, huh?) who is African Canadian. We grew up in the local congo and were friends till I left. Then reunited abt 10 yrs ago. :) He has told me about the racism that existed in the congo. I believe him, too.

When I was sixteen, my father got very angry when one of the boys (also sixteen) drove me home from the Dumbhall. He called the boy's father, told him this was out of line - WE WERE ALONE FOR ALL OF 15 MINUTES!

Anyway, the guys all thought it was because he was African Cdn. (now that I think about he was African American, they were from NJ), but no, it was ANY BOY. So, 25 years later, I find this out. I was astounded - my father would permit NO boys to be alone with me.

So we talked quite a bit about the subject, and I found out the TRUTH about racism within the BoRG.

*stomps feet*

Oh, it's there, and it's real.

tal

• talesin
    talesin
    white/europeein

not comfortable with this slur term

• Sassy
    Sassy

When I married a 'brother' from Africa, I did see racism in the eyes of many in the congregation. We heard about talk behind our backs and I even heard about other African brothers thinking highly of me for marrying an African. I thought it was all weird because I thought we were all one brotherhood and all one race in God's eyes. The problem was, I probably should have realized in many ways their judgements against him for marrying me were on the mark. It wasn't as much that he was black, but that he was African. And not that it is the country he comes from is wrong, but they questioned his sincerity. Because racism is a soapbox for me, I blindly didn't think and let him sweep me off my feet..only to find out after the wedding he wanted a green card from me.. But all I could see was racism in front of me and no one was going to tell me what to do as far as marrying someone of another race.. I was an idiot.. I let my ideals cloud my intelligence...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit