Watchtower prophesies against life on Mars [or elsewhere]

by nicolaou 23 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Valis
    Valis
    Scriptural grounds for contending that any future populating of other planets will be done by transporting couples from earth.

*LOL* maybe because the didn't know anything about spaceships? Sheesh...

The earth and the people on it are not that important.

well there ya go! The same egocentrism that has stunted the growth of humanity for thousands of years..

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• gitasatsangha
    gitasatsangha
    Just curious. Do any of you know of any religion that acknowledges the existance of life on other planets? I only know of one.

Hinduism specifically teaches other wolds are populated. Some Buddhist texts mention other worlds, but as much or more in an allegorical sense then as astral bodies. Nation of Islam (Black Islam) teaches something about a Mother Ship coming from space to take the black muslims back to their home planet. Scientology acknowledges life on other worlds. Jehovah's Witnesses teach Jehovah lives near the star Alcyone (or at least has a summre cottage there)

Actually I don't know of any religion that specifically prohibits the possibility of life on other planets. Most religions are very old, and date back before the idea of planets was understood as we do today, so its understandable.

Major NASA press conference as I type this. Interesting things going on.

• blondie
    blondie
    Jehovah's Witnesses teach Jehovah lives near the star Alcyone (or at least has a summre cottage there)

That was a Rutherford idea that has not moved into current JW theology. Most JWs would have no idea what you are talking about today if you brought this. JWs no longer teach this. Speculations among individual JWs have been that God dwells outside the physical universe.

Blondie

• gitasatsangha
    gitasatsangha

Blondie,

The reason I mentioned it, is because AFAIK (And I am probably wrong), they never changed their position on the Alcyone thing.. they just stopped talking about it.

• Wallflower
    Wallflower
    Re: Watchtower prophesies against life on Mars [or elsewhere]

Does Elsewhere know about this????

• heathen
    heathen

blondie-- That was some facinating stuff there . I just love when the WTBTS tells people not to speculate even, but does it for you .

valis --- you don't actually believe people are transported from earth to populate other planets do you ? I mean jeeze we have millions of people starving to death around here why don't they just help themselves ? I'm sure it would be a long line to get on the space ship, even longer than noahs ark .

Interesting note --- Today nasa has stated they believe they have found evidence of mars being a wet planet in the past .

• Gerard
    Gerard
    The earth and the people on it are not that important.

How's that for a weird cult?!

** Thy Kingdom Come (SIS vol III) 1891 (1903 edition) p. 327 ***

[Note: not available on 1993/1995/1999 CD-ROM]

?Alcyone, the central one of the renowned Pleiadic stars? Alcyone, then, as far as science has been able to perceive, would seem to be 'the midnight throne' in which the whole system of gravitation has its seat, and from which the Almighty governs his universe?

*** Reconciliation 1928 p.14 ***

[Note: not available on 1993/1995/1999 CD-ROM]

The constellation of the seven stars forming the Pleides? It has been suggested, and with much weight, that one of the stars of that group is the dwelling-place of Jehovah? The constellation of the Pleiades is a small one compared with others? But the greatness in size of other stars or planets is small when compared with the Pleiades in importance, because the Pleiades is the place of the eternal throne of God?

Does Jehover count as a living entity in the outer space?

• richard
    richard
    Just curious. Do any of you know of any religion that acknowledges the existance of life on other planets? I only know of one.

The Raelian Movement. And about 20 more are listed in the Encyclopedia of American Religions

• gaiagirl
    gaiagirl

From a historical standpoint, other worlds with life on them have been viewed as probable for thousands of years.

Around 425 B.C.E. Democritus wrote that the Milky Way was a cloud of stars, with planets orbiting them. He specifically stated that only SOME were capable of supporting life.

Circa 100 B.C.E. Strabo wrote about other inhabited worlds.

At about the same time, Lucretius wrote "Nature is not unique to the visible world. We must have faith that in other regions of space there exist other earths, inhabited by other people and animals."

Christianity did not invent the idea of the flat earth at the center of the Universe, but they adopted the idea and made it a heresy, thus a capital offence to deny for more than 1000 years.

I found these references on a site at http://www.ron521.homestead.com/HistoryScience.html

• Sirona
    Sirona

Carmel,

Most neo-pagan religions also accept the possibility of life on other planets.

Sirona

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit