Collected stories about my JW upbringing...

by kyria 8 Replies latest jw experiences

• kyria
    kyria

Hello.

I am working on a series of stories about my JW upbringing which I intend to perform as a one-person show in the near future.

I am in the process of putting them up online, and thought they might be of interest to some people here. (Keep in mind that they are still a bit rough!)

They can be found here:

http://mysite.verizon.net/vze6shsy/

I hope that you enjoy them!

- Kyria

kyriaoei at hotmail

• RunningMan
    RunningMan

Good writing. Insightful. Keep it up.

• kyria
    kyria

Thank you :)

• asleif_dufansdottir
    asleif_dufansdottir

Ky~

I tried to fool myself into affection but I just wasn't getting the same crush on God the rest of the congregation appeared to have. I wanted to believe it, in the pit of my stomach, I wanted to feel something. I thought, someday it will come naturally. I wanted God to be someone I cared deeply for. (snip)

As nice as God was, there was just no chemistry between us.

Excellent! (I relate)

You are a very good writer. I really enjoyed them.

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

I had no choice but to sit and real all 11 :)

A lot I can relate to; the one worldly friend, watching trick-or-treaters from a darkened room, being asked to make something "seasonal" in school for an art project.

Very interesting read!

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere
    I didn't know how to make myself feel this love, so I imagined myself kissing Jesus. I would wrap my arms around him and plant a big wet one right on his lips

hehe... that's cute... I never thought of it that way.

I always had a hard time with "loving god". I just never "felt" it's presence. Sometimes I suspect that I'm missing a specialized cluster of cells in my brain that allows so many other people to "feel" this god thing. Other times I wonder if I'm not one of the few sane people.

• Hunyadi
    Hunyadi

Kyria,

Wow, great stuff. It really took me back, and I found myself laughing (not at you, but with you) and I was hooked. It is comforting to know that the same absurd and disfunctional behavior of the ones I grew up with in the congregation was happening somewhere off in another congregation. You really do have style and flair and I want to come and see your one-gal show. Lemme know when and where!

Sincerely,

Hunyadi

• shotgun
    shotgun

Kyria

After reading your stories I can now totally understand you letter to your mom. If a non-dub were to read the collective up-bringing of most JW's they would probably call it abuse.

Thanks for sharing...the Halloween Salvation tubes made me feel awful for you and your brother.

• cyber-sista
    cyber-sista

Kyria--excellent writing--I read them all in a row--couldn't stop. I will never forget the "zombie automaton door-knockers"-going to mark your site and check in on the progress of your further stories.

Thanks for sharing,

cybs

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit