Marley Cole - "Jehovahs Witnesses, the New World Society"

by nicolaou 18 Replies latest watchtower bible

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

I recently bought a copy of this book off Ebay and am trying to find some official Watchtower approval of it so that I can lend it to my Mum. Ray Franz stated that Cole himself was a Witness and that he wrote the book "with the full cooperation of the Society." [C of C p72]

Is there any way of corroborating this? The only two WT references to Marley Cole and his book are from 1955 issues of the Watchtower;

*** w55 8/15 p. 511 Jehovah?s Witnesses?the New World Society ***

Jehovah?s Witnesses?the New World SocietyA new book by this name has been published by Vantage Press of New York city. Written in newsy reporter style by Marley Cole, it presents for the first time in book form authentic information on the history, activities and doctrinal views of Jehovah?s witnesses. Much of the material was gathered by personal interviews with witnesses, some of them being officials of the Society. Frequently in the news is something about the religion of President Eisenhower?s parents. This book gives the facts often overlooked or concealed, with documentary proof that they were Jehovah?s witnesses for many years. You will be interested in reading this 229-page book and seeing its many fine photographs. It is $2.95 a copy, and may be had at your local bookstore or from the Watchtower Society, 117 Adams Street, Brooklyn 1, N. Y.

[emphasis added]

w55 12/1 pp. 733-734 Part 1: The "Triumphant Kingdom" Assemblies of 1955 ***

The way the assembly dominated the news affected the sale of the newly released Vantage Press? book entitled "Jehovah?s Witnesses?the New World Society," by Marley Cole. Chicago bookstores handling it were selling out their stock of it, to put the book in line for a place on the best-seller list.

Of course, an advert in the Watchtower for a 'non-Watchtower' book is a pretty strong endorsement but is there anything else I can use?

Nic'

• TheOldHippie
    TheOldHippie

In the brochure "Report on "Divine Will" International Assembly of Jehovah's Witnesses", issued in 1958 and covering the huge assembly held on Yankee Stadium and Polo Grounds in New York, July 27 thru August 3, 1958, I ran across a photo towards the end of the brochure, of a man teaching or lecturing people, and the text says that it is Brother Marley Cole instructing these brothers and sisters working in the press department on how to deal with the press.

So it is stated by the JW themselves in that brochure.

• Gopher
    Gopher

We had a copy of this book in our home when I was growing up (as a J-dub). My parents attended the New York City convention in 1958. I don't know if they got this book there or if they ordered it from Vantage Press.

Anyhow most old-time JW's will remember this book, and it seems to have been "approved reading" while it was in print. I'm sure that now the Society would rather have you read their "Kingdom Proclaimers" book released in 1993, but Cole's book is still of interest to some JW's.

I remember hearing the term "new world society" applied to JW's as a group when I was younger, but it seemed to go out of style after the 1970's.

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

Old Hippie

Do you have a copy of that brochure? Could you scan and post the relevant part?

cheers

• TheOldHippie
    TheOldHippie

I'll check and be back tomorrow if I manage to scan.

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman

The fact that the book was being advertised in the Watchtower and could even be purchased from the Society is a pretty strong endorsement by them of its contents. The number of "outside" books that could actually be purchased through the Society over the years has been minimal. The only other two that come to mind (except for Bible translations) are The Two Babylons and Faith on the March.

As I recall, you could even order Marley Cole's book through the Kingdom Hall literature counter.

• Mulan
    Mulan

We never met Marley Cole, but he was the uncle of one of our friends, so he definitely WAS a JW.

• Farkel
    Farkel

Two things are interesting about Marley Cole and his book. First, the WTS somewhat dishonestly did not state that Cole was a dub. Second, and most important, the WTS did not DISAPPROVE the book, as they did with all but a few other books not written by themselves as mentioned by another poster.

Whether they publically approved it or not is not nearly as important to a dub as the fact that they did not disapprove it. Like Macmillan's "Faith on the March," you can bet your last dollar that the society had its hand in the editing of Cole's book before it was published, and like Macmillan's book, it presents and very favorable and distorted view of dubism.

Farkel

• onacruse
    onacruse

If anyone would like information about this book (and Faith on the March), arrangements can be made.

• Phantom Stranger
    Phantom Stranger

I remember reading FOTM as a kid.

I was somewhat surprised to discover that some JW has apparently put the entire book online in HTML. He links to the WTS website right at the top of the home page. This may be old news around here, but it seemed pertinent...

http://www.e-cepher.com/books/fotm/vfaith.html

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit