Bible Has No Room for "Observers"

by OHappyDay 16 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Golf
    Golf

Firstinline, Jesus knew the rich man couldn't keep the law. The Law was a tudor leading to Christ. Only Jesus could fulfill the law. James 2:10 says, For whoever observes all the Law but makes a false step in one point, he has become an offender against them ALL." Jesus could have a called the rich man a liar but he didn't.

About turning the other cheek, Jesus didn't say anything about the third slap. Remember, Jesus did whip the hell out of the money changers in the temple, didn't he. Paul said, " ...as far it depends upon YOU, be peaceable with all me." Romans 12:18. Human imperfection gives us plenty of room for error and forgiveness.

Guest 77

• JCanon
    JCanon
    He said to "turn the other cheek" if you got whacked by a jerk. If everyone followed THAT dictim, then criminals would reign supreme, and they would be able to get away with ANYTHING. If EVERYONE followed that rule, then it wouldn't have to be a rule at all. No one would hit anyone. Jesus well knew that not all humans could folow that rule.

Hi Farkel, you remain interesting as usual. Hope all is well with you. I'm still trying to get the singing career going; I'm still learning so I guess there's promise.

Anyway, your argument is circular. You said if EVERYBODY did what Jesus said then the criminals would take over. But that depends totally on the criminal population ratio to the good folks following Jesus. In fact, if EVERYBODY followed what Jesus did, there'd be no smacking of anybody but all of then would become Christians and the result would be a wonderful world without criminals.

Meaning what?

Meaning some of us are participants and some of us are "observers", and some of the "observers" are in dire need of a new prescription.

J.C.

• FirstInLine
    FirstInLine

Golf,

I guess that was my point.

• Farkel
    Farkel

: Ninety-nine percent of those who attend the Memorial will ignore and transgress Jesus' commandment...

Actually it's even worse than that! A little rough math of dividing 6,000,000 into 8,000 gives us a percentage of non-partakers to be 99.9%!

It's like I've said before: "Memorial: the only day Jehovah's Witnesses may have a celebration in which nobody is allowed to celebrate."

FirstInLine,

So your argument is that Jesus didn't actually mean what he said?

Farkel

• FirstInLine
    FirstInLine

Farkel,

no

• JCanon
    JCanon
    It's like I've said before: "Memorial: the only day Jehovah's Witnesses may have a celebration in which nobody is allowed to celebrate."

Jesus said to celebrate it UNTIL he arrived, not long afterwards. JWs believe Christ arrived in 1914, so why are they still celebrating it?

For those who are distracted by the chronology for the NB period, with Jerusalem falling in either 607BCE, 587BCE or 529BCE (i.e. Martin Anstey, Philip Mauro, et al) you have two other choices for the second coming in 1934 or 1992, both dates are now past! So no matter when you think Christ would have arrived you should have stopped partaking in one of those years, right?

So it's kind of a bogus gesture anyway, isn't it?

J.C.

• OHappyDay
    OHappyDay

J.C., I appreciate your comments. Truth is, however, that I have enough trouble with understanding our own take on chronology, etc., to consider taking on another viewpoint. So, my post is with current JW commentary on the Memorial.

As I understand it, we now interpret "until the Lord comes" to mean his coming with judgment, i.e., at Armageddon. So, we celebrate the Memorial until that "coming."

My point is that if Witnesses are going to celebrate the Memorial, we should really celebrate it, all who are in attendance, by doing as Jesus said, "drink of it, all of you," and not as our Tradition says, "drink of it, some of you." Jesus did not say in any case, "Just sit there and observe."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit