Is it respectful to call God by name?

by woodland 21 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Sirona
    Sirona

hang on a minute! There are more gods out there than Jehovah you know! I think you need to specify who you're talking to....

Sirona

• shotgun
    shotgun

(((((Sirona))))))) is a Goddess..does that count

• Love_Truth
    Love_Truth

I don't think there's anything wrong with respectfully using God's name. However, we really aren't sure how to pronounce it. The closest rendering is believed to be "Yahweh" or something like it, by most researchers. Regardless, though, I can't see God taking offense to a mispronunciation of his name, so using it respectfully, no matter the rendering, seems to me to be OK.

Now, on the subject of "Jehovah's Witnesses". I find that to be one of the most pompous, vain, arrogant, disrespectful uses of God's name ever. They took his name upon themselves, God did not speak from heaven to tell them to do so. Then, by equating the Governing Body to God's spokesman, his channel of communication, they equate themselves with God. (Exodus 20:7)

• Special K
    Special K

Well, if you didn't know his name or your bible didn't use Jehovah or Yahweh..

Then I'm not sure it would be right to say.. "Hey you with the face"..

No that doesn't sound right.. because by biblical beliefs he or she is a "spirit" therefore no face.

God sounds okay to me. I sometimes use the statement "Higher power". and I don't mean coffee.

Yeah,.. either God or Higher Power work for me..

special k

• shotgun
    shotgun

Oh that's good SK

Then I'm not sure it would be right to say.. "Hey you with the face"..

What about the angels with four faces the WT depicts...you couldn't say... Hey four eyes cuz they got eight.

In the Soloman Islands they speak Pigeon English and refer to god as BIG FELLA even the JW's at times..I kinda like that one

• Special K
    Special K

"The big fella".... I like that one.. but the first thing that comes in my mind is Shaqille and basketball?

Some in conversation call him "The guy upstairs"...

anymore?

I'm surprised J.W.'s don't call him "the Terminator" with their big belief in Armageddon.

special K

• shotgun
    shotgun

No.... Jesus is the Terminator...I'll be back.

J.F Rutherford was Kindergarden Cop...It's not a tumour.

• Mr Ben
    Mr Ben

Father Franz

Who art in heaven?

I?m sure a most serene and beautiful ?embodiment? of love couldn?t care less what name we use. I call her Selene for some reason. I used to use a different name. As the Bard said, ?A rose smells as sweet??

• willy_think
    willy_think

Seems to me all the names have been the invention of men. To name, is to make what has been named a thing; an object captured in time and space. Defined by subtle boundaries, we can now hold it in our mind as what we believe to be a hole concept, a tamed thing within our understanding. I favor "I am" but i'm not offended by any name people have given God.

Will

• got my forty homey?
    got my forty homey?

I remember in the movie "Life or Brian" the Rabbi got stoned for saying Jehovah despite his telling the stoners that HE can say Jehovah (Beaten by stones!)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit