Disrespectful

by finger 15 Replies latest jw friends

• finger
    finger

Hi, just need to shout about something that happend today. Went to my Grandfather in law funeral today in a Church of England church, my bro in laws g/f is becoming a witness so she said that she would go to funeral but couldnt join in prayers and hymns fair enough I thought. When we were seated she picked up the bible that was there for us and was making a show of reading something in it then turning to my bro in law and I could here her saying " they have translated it wrong" or something to that effect, then when the coffin was being brought in we all stood up which in my eyes was as a sign of respect to my Grandad, she refused to stand up at any point apart from when we were leaving. I think what I am trying to say is that I dont think she should have attended the church bit if all she was going to do is mock the service, I understand (i think) that she believes different things but feel there is a time and a place to debate who has the right or wrong translation?? I definately do not think a funeral is the right place to do that, it shows a lack of respect for the deceased and the family that he or she has left behind. right im done thanks for listening

• Scully
    Scully

If you think *that* was disrespectful, you should see what happens at a JW funeral Memorial Service?.

They don't do eulogies in memory of the person who has passed away, except to say that they were a "servant of Jehovah" for X number of years.

The rest of the service is pretty much an infomercial for the JWs aimed at sucking vulnerable grief-stricken people into their cult.

Love, Scully

• Valis
    Valis

Ya they ruined my grandfather's funeral...maybe 10 minutes of his life and a whole hour or something for JW bullshit. You would think they would be nice and not have to make a witness out of everything. Sorry for the experience finger oh and welcome to the board.

SIncerely,

District Overbeer

• franklin J
    franklin J

finger

I would think that she showed disrespect for the situation. By the way you describe it; she should have kept her mouth shut; except to offer condolences; and stood to show respect. There is nothing wrong or untheocratic about that. She just wanted to show her "attitude". They like to think of themselves as being "gods chosen"; and look for excuses to stand out from the majority.

Shame on her.

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu
    When we were seated she picked up the bible that was there for us and was making a show of reading something in it then turning to my bro in law and I could here her saying " they have translated it wrong" or something to that effect

I think I know what that was about. She probably turned to Psalm 83:18 (holy shit! I remembered that!) and checked to see if the name "Jehovah" was there. That's a common practice for JWs who get their hands on different bible translations.

then when the coffin was being brought in we all stood up which in my eyes was as a sign of respect to my Grandad, she refused to stand up at any point apart from when we were leaving.

To JWs, showing respect for anything that is invisible and named "Jehovah" is viewed as worshipping. F**king stupid, I know, but that's the way they view things. She wasn't consciously mocking the service, she was doing what she was told.

• galaxy7
    galaxy7

When my father died before the service I made it very clear I would walk out if they didnt say anything nice about my dad and his life

The poor brother stared at me the whole time. You could really see him trying to go off script.He did say a few more words than he normally would but not much.

My friend died in November and my husband came to her funeral with me, the first time in a catholic church for him

when the priest gave out the wafer, I thought he was going to run from the church.He said in a loud voice im not taking that

The moral is JWs shouldnt go to other religions funerals

• kls
    kls

That is very disrepectful,that is not the place to show or act like a jw.It,s not their funeral When they die they can have theirs the way they want. But you know the cult it is their way or satans way.

• 95stormfront
    95stormfront
    I think I know what that was about. She probably turned to Psalm 83:18 (holy shit! I remembered that!) and checked to see if the name "Jehovah" was there. That's a common practice for JWs who get their hands on different bible translations.

Yep...that's exactly what I suspect she did also. That was the very first scripture I learned when I was a study and I am totally guilty of pulling that stunt when I was a newly baptised wet behind the ears JW.

I was recently at a family funeral. When my JW wife was getting dressed I saw her moving around one of those stupid "what happens when you die" pamphlets. At the service, she's sitting there with that stupid pamphlet in her hand the whole time waiting for someone to ask her about it, standing ready to give the "proper witness". Probably the most stupid thing I've ever seen a witness do.....always the shameless plug for the WT brand of truth.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Sadly they believe in taking any and every opportunity to "take a stand" and "give a witness" Unfortunately they come off as insensitive and uncaring.

Sorry about your loss

• Golden Girl
    Golden Girl

Yep!..They acted like that at both my Mom's and Dad's funeral.

And when my JW hubby died he had a memorial..I think they may have mentioned his name..oh yeah..they kept saying he had a nice smile!

Now I have nothing to do with any JW's..His JW family and I do not see each other. His Mom talks to my oldest daughter once in a while to see how the family is.(.my daughter announced to them she is now a Catholic and very happy )..

They all grouped together at my oldest Daughter's catholic wedding and snickered all the way through it. They also snickered and laughed at my parent's funeral. But my hubby worshiped his mom so I kept quiet!

They really should have stayed home.

My husband was convinced by his JW Mom that it was wrong to go to church and give his second daughter away at her wedding.So he didn't go.I went alone.....

Nope..considerate they aren't.

Snoozy...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit