The Gaia hypothesis is simply that idea that the Earth is a living organism

by frankiespeakin 12 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• talesin
    talesin

"The loss of self-respect produced by evidence of our cruelty and folly as a species, and the looming threat of nuclear holocaust, have darkened our horizons, entrenching the view that we can be a blight, a cancer on the face of the earth.; But along with this undeniable destructive power, we have also acquired the power to protect and sustain life - a gift we sadly undervalue. Consider what role we might now assume - not as destroyers but as life-givers, as caretakers of a flowering world ... It is time for humanity to use this power, and use it well. We must have the courage to face ourselves, to admit our power of life and death, and bring it under permanent, watchful control. Now we must take sides with life."

- Gaia, an atlas of planet management; Gaia Books Limited, London, 1984.

t

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

WHAT DANGERS LIE AHEAD? by James E. Lovelock (1994)

. . Even if we reform immediately, we shall still see the Earth change and we, its first social intelligent species, are privileged to be both the cause and the spectators. The imminent change in climate is as large as between the last ice age and now.

To comprehend the magnitude of the change ahead, glance back to the depth of the last ice age, some tens of thousands of years ago. Then the glaciers reached as far south as latitude 35 in North America and to the Alps in Europe. The sea was more than 100 meters lower than now, and therefore an area of land as large as Africa was above water, and where plants grew. The tropics were like the warm temperate regions are now. In all, it was a pleasant world to live on, and there was more land. What will happen, as a result of our presence so far, will be a change as great as that from the last ice age until about 100 years ago.

To understand what has already begun and will develop in the next century, imagine the start of a heat age. Temperatures and sea level will climb, by fits and starts, until eventually the world will be torrid, ice free, and all but unrecognizable. Eventually is a long time ahead, it might never happen to that extent; what we have to prepare for now are the incidents of a changing climate, just about to begin. These are likely to be surprises, things that even the most detailed of big science models do not predict. Think of the ozone hole--this was a real surprise. The most expensive computer modelling and monitoring of the Earth's ozone layer failed to see or predict it. It was seen by observers looking at the sky with simple instruments. Surprise may comes as climatic extremes, like ferocious storms, or as unexpected atmospheric events. Nature is nonlinear and unpredictable and never more so than in a period of change.

This is an occasion when we cannot look to Gaia for help. If the present warm period is a planetary fever, we should expect that the Earth left to itself would be relaxing into its normal comfortable ice age. Such comfort may be unattainable because we have been busy removing its skin for farm land, taking away the trees that are the means for recovery. We also are adding vast blanket of greenhouse gases to the already feverish patient.

Gaia is more likely to shudder, then move over to a new stable state, fit for a different and more amenable biota. It could be much hotter, but whatever it is, no longer the comfortable world we know. These predictions are not fictional doom scenarios, but uncomfortably close to certainty. We have already changed the atmosphere to an extent unprecedented in recent geological history. We seem to be driving ourselves heedlessly down a slope into a sea that is rising to drown us.

We must, in our own interest, recognize that our planet is at least as important as we are. If we continue to pollute and destroy for narrow self interest, we could bring about the end of the Pleistocene and the dawn of a new hot Earth. The future depends on decisions made now on the supplies of food and energy. We must moderate our passion for human rights and begin to recognize the rest of life on Earth. Individual risk, such as of cancer from exposure to nuclear radiation, or to products of the chemical industry, are to be prevented, but they are no longer the most urgent concern. First in our thoughts should be the need to avoid perturbing Gaia and exacerbating its present natural instability. Above all, we do not want to trigger the jump to a new but unwanted stable climate.

http://www.geocities.com/~gaiachurch/lovelock.html

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

Beautiful Insignificance! When we get a glimps of it!

C&P&L:

http://www.geocities.com/~gaiachurch/adrs-9-3.html

. It's harder to unlearn the crap that society sneaks into your head, than learning all you ever will! ... That's both my diet and my path to Zen; there are many diets and many paths. Fortunately, enlightenment has many keys. Unfortunately, the door has many locks.

. . As well as sugar, I ignore the various gods --thousands of them. I finally decided that I know as much about any real god as anybody on earth --namely nuthin'. All the religions think that everybody else's idea of God is wrong, and they're all probably right about that! Religion so often gets in the way of spirituality. I think... Full awareness of reality is the greatest prayer and adoration. In this, the fool may surpass the genius in his awe of the ineffable.

. . Notice... when you fall, you don't feel gravity. Something not in resistance to a force does not feel that force. (It's not just physics --there's something very Zen in that.) That's what I'm sayin'! Don't resist the real picture. We paint pictures on the universe, like we gild the lily. When you try to see it, you paint it --to the degree that you try. When you see it as it is, without resistance, you'll lose the "gravity" of the situation. (enlightening!) (You'll still "chop wood, carry water", but... differently.)

. . To vastly over-simplify, "enlightenment" might be an awareness of the pure reality that is hidden from our awareness by the colors of our preconceptions.

. . Note that "reality" is popularly used in two senses: objective, scientific reality; and someone's experience of it. ONLY in the latter sense can there be more than one "reality".

. . Reality, science, and Gaia/Zen spirituality have this in common: that all see things as nature insists they are, rather than as modified by the trip thru human perceptions and pre-conceptions and mis-conceptions. (Pre-)Conception colors perception. ...gilds the lily. To perceive, de-conceive. What misguided conceptions color your world? What would it be if you didn't?

. . Various of my moments were revelations --I loved 'em... like, 1: Darwin; 2: that the function of genes is just to make proteins that do and influence other stuff; 3: Socio-Biology, to explain motives and identity; 4: the ever-larger cosmos, compared to the insignificant Earth.
    . . The earth is insignificant; you are insignificant. But I repeat myself --you and the Earth are the same, just as your every cell knows how to make all of you.

. . Somehow, a sense of insignificance is important and basic to any understanding --it compensates for our ego. I remember when I lay on the grass and looked at the stars, and FELT the sun behind me, the dark earth between us, myself pushed against the side of this tiny globe (gravity felt funny!), and I saw the different distances of the stars in 3-D. A great revelatory moment --I was about 14. To feel in such a way that you could not possibly find

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit