Hiram built Solomon's temple.

by peacefulpete 24 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

I agree peacfulpete,I think it is impossible to unravel, to separate Legend and Myth from History, and to extract who may have ben a real figure in History.

Certainly the Hebrew Bible is a mish-mash of stories and myths that the Scribes of the 6th century B.C and later made in to a " History" for their own purposes. The main purpose being to have a "History" for Israel that gave them National Pride.

They followed in a tradition, started by those who wrote the Epic of Gilgamesh, ( which they plagiarise of course) and other similar works. But I have been surprised that the Myths and Legends of old more often than not have a foundation in real history, from that early stuff, through the Greek Myths and likely up to the persons of King Arthur, and later Robin hood, all those stories were more than likely based upon people who actually lived, embellished for entertainment value obviously, but some basis in fact.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Would be nice is the other participants returned too!

My take? Solomon didn’t have his own construction workers, so he decided to Hiram.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Once again I start reading a thread before realising how old it is...There are some seriously missed members on here , Gumby and Leolaia in particular. I am glad that you are still around Pete to write these interesting things.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Solomon's Temple as described in the Bible is thought to be mainly Myth, so maybe Hiram is too, great Pun by the way Slim !

Apparently the structure must have been smaller than the Bible describes, as was indeed the "Empire" of David and Solomon, not nearly as big as the Bible says !

It is interesting that the design of the Temple describes the design of a number of known "pagan " Temples of the time, so if Hiram was real, maybe he designed and built along those lines, again, the design not really coming from "god" as the Bible implies.

• dropoffyourkeylee
    dropoffyourkeylee

There are some commentators who believe the’steps of Ahaz’ were actually something like a sundial used in sun worship. Seems more of a possibility if Hiram designed it as a copy of the temple in Tyre.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit