Did being a JW kill this young girl's baby?

by Smyler 17 Replies latest jw friends

• Smyler
    Smyler

I

What a sad sad story! I really believe that her being a JW did in part, kill her baby. The fact that she was scared to tell her parents about her being pregnant just goes to show it. She was afraid on being DF'ed.

Reading things like these, just goes to show that the Watchtower is a cult.

smyler

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

Sure. We also know that her parents and the congregation did not help her adequately when she was raped by a relative at 11, whether or not that relative was a witness. How do we know that? Because they NEVER help young people in that situation adequately, and in fact, the teachings, the... spirit, if you will, of JW congregations, is guaranteed to have exacerbated the pain of the girls rape.

Shitty worthless religion.

• Special K
    Special K

Good day Smyler..

Sad story indeed. Here we have this young girl scared to turn to her J.W. parents and confide in them as to what had happened to her.

If I had a daughter, I would find it hard to swallow that my own daughter was pregnant and delivered the baby in my house and I knew nothing about it. .. Sounds strange, but I guess it is possible, because this is not the first time I've heard about this happenning.

Although this scenario has happened in families that are not Jehovahs Witnesses. One wonders if this was a family who were the fanatical type of J.W. .. out in service all the time and ignoring the kids too busy serving their God to notice the problems or needs of their kids.

Sure sounds like a young girl who felt she had no options..

Truly, an baby having a baby.

The article said and I quote,

"In her devout Jehovah's Witness family, Phifer grew up hearing that sex before marriage was immoral. Her parents didn't know about the rape. They would have been mortified had they known about the pregnancy. She saw her situation as hopeless and believed she had no options."

The girl even in her own words, I think, admits that she saw her situation as hopeless. Most suicide victims also feel that exact feeling... a feeling of hopelessness.

Sad, very sad indeed.

sincerely

Special k

• simplesally
    simplesally

This is just so awful. I can't imagine .....ughhhhhh

• Uzzah
    Uzzah
    Reading things like these, just goes to show that the Watchtower is a cult.

It is a tragic story.

However true your final statement is, this story doesn't really prove it.

If you speak to any youth counsellor or shelter you will hear that most teen mothers are petrified to tell their parents and take drastic measures to prevent their parents from finding out.

However the more religious the upbringing the greater the fear. Ironic considering religion is supposedly about love.

Uzzah

• Euphemism
    Euphemism

I bet that until the girl's identity was discovered, the JWs were using the story in service as an example of how bad things have gotten in the world today.

I guess the silver lining is that the girl has finally gotten the help that she needs; and hopefully when she gets out of prison in three years, she'll have the tools that she needs to rebuild her life.

Sad, sad, sad.

• Mary
    Mary
    Phifer.........has spent years in therapy dealing with illnesses diagnosed after she was arrested, including dissociative amnesia, which causes fragmented memory, and schizoaffective disorder, which is marked by major depression and psychotic symptoms.

OK, I feel extremely pissed off when I read about these cases, because they seem to be happening more and more often. While being raised a Witness could easily have contributed to her killing the baby (she didn't want the shame brought on the family by bearing an illegitimate child), in all likelihood, she would have done it anyway. The real question is: why was her mental illnesses never diagnosed properly? Why wasn't she on medication? Is her mother a brain-dead fool not to see that her daughter needed some help? In my opinion, people who are schizoaffective, pyschotic, or have any other major mental problem should not be allowed to have children, as they simply do not have the proper mental facilities to deal with it and they can snap at any time. Remember Andrea Yates? Her husband never bothered to get her proper treatment for her schizophrenia and psychotic illnesses, and as a result, she murdered all her own children.

I can't have any children now. I had to have a hysterectomy a couple of years ago, and now I'll never know what it's like to hold a child of my own, watch them grow, love them, nurture them. So needless to say I get pretty pissed off when I read that someone else has murdered their own child. Maybe I'm just being too emotional on this, but if she didn't want the baby, why not leave it on someone's doorstep or at the hospital instead of murdering it for god's sake.

• simplesally
    simplesally

Mary, I know what you mean........I have a daughter, but gosh, if someone didn't want their baby, I'd take that precious thing and love it rather than the baby lose its life!!!!

• gaiagirl
    gaiagirl

The most ironic thing about this situation is that the entire belief system of the girls family hinges on a young unwed mother and her child.

• DIM
    DIM

You can't blame the JW's for everything, I mean come on.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit