"the Society teaches"

by somebody 26 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

I remember when we met in the morning for field service, the conductor would frequently remind people that they were not to say something like "Hello, we're Jehover's Witnesses...." at the door. Instead we were to say something like: "Hello, we are Christians...".

The bottom line is this: They want to avoid legal liability. I say this because I recall reading a newspaper article about a JW who sued the WTS and the local congregation after we has injured while out in field service. The WTS won the case after arguing that field service is not mandatory and that every JW does it on his own.

• FirstInLine
    FirstInLine

That brings up a good point.

Dont you think the WTS should pay for someone's medical bills should they be injured as a direct result of field ministry?

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

many Witnesses prefer to use such expressions as, ?the Bible says?

But how do we say that the Bible says

a) that dates like 1914 or 1919 or 1935 are in any way important?

b) That you have to shun your best friend if they give their Mother a birthday present

c) That it is ok to take certain types of blood medical treatment but not others

etc etc.

I can remember that Watchtower article. it made me chuckle at the time, being an obvious ploy for effect , not substance , and was in effect dis honest. We all joked about it but resolved to try to remember to say it the way they wanted.

We were really blinkered at that time

• Love_Truth
    Love_Truth

Bingo.

What the "Society teaches",

and

what the "Bible teaches",

are most often at great odds with one another.

That is why I have always, to this day,

followed the teachings of the Bible rather than teachings of men.

• Phantom Stranger
    Phantom Stranger

Gosh, if I could only be so pleased with myself...guess all it takes is Jesus.

• Phantom Stranger
    Phantom Stranger

Great post, btw, somebody.

• ese
    ese

the society teaches/says that we should not exalt individuals or groups over others

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit