"The Four Presidents of the Watchtower Society"

by RR 51 Replies latest jw friends

• Farkel
    Farkel

minimus,

You are wrong on ALL your comments in this thread. You said:

: BUT NOBODY BUYS THE LITERATURE ANYMORE. What kind of "salespeople" don't sell. don't make money?? In the last 15 years, no one has bought a book from the Watchtower salesmen!

Of course, this statement of yours is obviously the most wrong. Dubs "buy" the literature, even though they must "contribute" for it. If they don't contribute "enough" they are "encouraged to "contribute" enough. Or else.

Every dub who wants to be recognized as a dub must buy ALL the literature produced by their religious masters. District Assemblies are nothing more than a world-wide book promotional tour, and the main captive audience the WTS has are the dubs who attend. (And buy the stuff they must buy to remain acceptable in the congregations.)

This gives the WTS MILLIONS of people who are nothing more than a captive audience to buy their stuff. Once they buy that stuff, they are "encourged" to buy more of that stuff and then "place" it with others. If they "place" it and get a donation for it, they are "encouraged" to "donate" that money back to the organization which charged them for buying the stuff they "placed" and then got a "donation" for it.

If they aren't able to "place" the extra stuff they "donated" for, HAVE YOU EVER SEEN THE WATCHTOWER SOCIETY REIMBURSE THEM FOR AT LEAST TRYING TO RE-SELL IT AFTER THEY'VE RECEIVED THE MONEY FOR IT? DOES THE WATCHTOWER SOCIETY GIVE BACK MONEY TO ANYONE ONCE THEY'VE RECEIVED IT?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

How many thousands of WTS magazines and books have you thrown into the trash that you paid for and couldn't "place?"

It's all about the making and selling of many books, and the WTS has at the very least a willing and very captive and intimidated (read: "threatened") set of buyers among the dubs who are "encouraged" to feast from the "rich" and "very wonderful spiritual food" offered them (which stuff has a shelf life about as long as it takes the WTS to produced their NEXT book which replaces the current book.)

If you don't think the WTS is worldwide publishing and book-selling Corporation, then you'd better learn to think.

Farkel

• minimus
    minimus

JWs do NOT have to buy anything! Most of the Witnesses that I know do NOT contribute at all. Only a handful in our congregation were regular contributors. That's why the congregation had to be constantly reminded to give a "donation". When you go to conventions with book releases you are NOT required to pay for the books. You are not intimidated to do so, either. Sure, they would make "reminders" as to how grateful they are that we would be paying the expenses (in advance), but once again I'll say, the vast majority are not contributing, although some obviously are.

• PopeOfEruke
    PopeOfEruke

I still think the literature desk is the "front" for guaranteeing government approval for the tax-free status, thus allowing the real-estate millions to flow in untaxed. I think it matters very little to the Borg leaders how much money the literature brings in.....

Any ideas on this Farks??

Pope

• minimus
    minimus

Pope, I think you might be right. The publishing of anything is something the Society wants to protect. They have other goals and reasons to print literature that the MAJORITY of people do not read. For years, we had 20 mags per week. They were never placed. Yet, the Society only cared about downsizing the orders after the "donation program" came into existence.

• asleif_dufansdottir
    asleif_dufansdottir
    Most of the Witnesses that I know do NOT contribute at all. Only a handful in our congregation were regular contributors.

But those that do contribute, often contribute more as donations than they would have paid for the 25 cent mags and couple-of-dollar books they receive. Face it, WT literature was cheap (when it was priced). Much cheaper than books sold in Christian bookstores. That's why people were willing to toss a bit of cash at JWs at the door, back when there was a price on it.

I, personally think the WT was a bit disappointed that the rank-and-file didn't donate as much as they thought they would. I remember when the "donation arrangement" went into effect. Very few in our congregation were not aware that it was because the WT was being threatened with having to pay taxes. Good old (who was it - Swaggart?). But still, they're still better off financially not paying taxes.

There are some JWs with money. Think of how much they donate, especially the "true believers" with money, and stuff to leave to the WT in their wills.

And not just money given to the society...how about the money given as gifts to individual COs, DOs, Bethelites. All unreported. Some of them live pretty high on the hog, and they have crowds of willing peons falling at their feet in adulation.

Yes they're whining about donations, but this is still a wealthy corporation, and money makes money. They have stocks, don't forget.

I doubt that literature sales is the real moneymaker of the WT empire. So what if the literature peddling isn't all that profitable? What does it cost them? Pennies per item, all printed and distributed with volunteer labor. All their labor, all of it, is volunteer. All the real estate is maintained by volunteer labor, all the intellectual capital is volunteer, all the stuff that costs most corporations the most is free or dirt cheap.

Do they care if the book and mag sales aren't hugely profitable? Why would they? If it makes them anything it's gravy. And it keeps the rank and file too busy to think for themselves and gives them something to do...it keeps their followers in line. It might occasionally accidentally even bring them a new follower. All at absolutely no cost to those who run the society.

PLUS, it gives them an excellent front to present to the rest of the world, "We are a charity, we do Bible education, we are a religion." Got them into the UN, gets them tax-exempt status, gives them a lot of perks. And, don't forget, it has to be a huge ego boost to have millions of people who think you speak for God.

Edited because I forgot to ask:
    Was there anybody who didn't have stacks of "extra" literature at home? Stuff they could never place? At least you could leave old mags at not at homes, but the books, I don't know how many copies of the Live Forever, or Creation book etc, I had...

• PopeOfEruke
    PopeOfEruke

Hi Min,

the thing is: how shallow can the world governments be to allow this obvious tax-dodge? I guess the various tax-offices know its just a scam but are scared to go up against "religion". At least the French government got that right!!

Its like I own a shop, selling fish and chips. The government brings in a new tax-rule which would effectively mean my fish-and-chips now get taxed. So I put out a big sign and say "FREE FISH AND CHIPS". But I put a big box right near the counter which says "Contribute to the Fish and Chips". And the tax-man inspects its and says "Yep thats perfectly legal".

Pope

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy
    In the 20 odd congregations I have had contact with in the last 3 or 4 years, the money situation has been bleak, donations at the hall to the WTS have been dropping, and many find it hard to pay their utilities.

Blondie

This pretty much sums up my expierence as well.

minimus statements are far from wrong

I seriously doubt that the WTS makes much money, if anything at all, on literature. If it serves any dollar purpose at all it is probably a tax shelter. Face it, even with free labor and feeding everyone only bread and water on the asembly line, there still couldn?t possibly be a profit made after the sale of a few million 25-cent mags and $2.00 bibles. They have to be in the red with regard to literature, which should be simple enough to figure out.

They make all their money from investments stocks and real estate and from BIG independant donations.

• soontobe
    soontobe
    When I was a Witness, all Watch Tower Society (Corporation) activities have to do with the books the leaders published.

Personal study was reading the books the leaders published. Meetings were studying the books the leaders published. Service was distributing the books the leaders published. Bible studies were sessions indoctrinating new workers by using the books the leaders published. 

Kingdom Halls were distribution centers where inventory is stocked and a special literature counter is provided and staffed with volunteer workers for the sales people to pick up the books the leaders published. Contribution boxes were conveniently placed for "publishers" to pay by donation for the literature the leaders published. 

The worldwide ministry was designed to increase the distribution of the books the leaders published. The Corporation's school for missionaries was called Gilead, and it's purpose was to teach members how to start new congregations using the books the leaders published.

Our weekly schedules revolve around the study and distribution of literature the leaders wrote and published. That schedule was set up by the Watch Tower Publishing Corporation. 

Saturday morning was devoted to distributing magazines the leaders wrote and published. 

Sunday public talk meeting was given from an outline the leaders wrote and published on a topic selected by the leaders and referenced by books the leaders wrote and published.

Sunday Watchtower Study meeting was reading from and studying a magazine the leaders wrote and published.

Tuesday book study meeting was reading from and studying a book the leaders wrote and published.

Wednesday was preparing for Thursday night meetings by reading books the leaders wrote and published.

Thursday Theocratic Ministry School was speaking from and reading from books the leaders wrote and published.

Thursday Service Meeting was a sales meeting training for presentations to distribute books and magazines the leaders wrote and published. The Service Meeting was also used to announce staff additions, changes, or deletions as approved by the Watch Tower Publishing Corporation. 

Daily texts were read daily from a book the leaders wrote and published.

Yearly conventions were sponsored by the Watch Tower Publishing Corporation. The highlight was the release of new publications the leaders wrote and published and the water baptism of new "Publishers" who agreed to be identified with the Publishing Corporation, calling themselves the "Spirit Directed Organization". 

Members were called "publisher" and only qualify to be recognized as members if they engage in the distribution of books and magazines the leaders wrote and published and then report that engagement on Field Service Report forms that the leaders published.

("Publisher" is dictionary defined as One that is engaged in publishing printed material.) 

Minimus , what about this in NOT about book distribution and advancement of the interests of the publishing corporation? GaryB

Kind of sums it up with a bow on top, doesn't it?

• Terry
    Terry

The following is only my opinion:

If you are a cat burglar you have to sneak into people's houses and avoid detection or your criminal career is over.

Let's say you have been successful for a number of years, in fact, you're an expert at what you do.

However, one day, your ex-partner who has "gone straight" starts talking publicly about your misdeeds.

Since you are an expert you know how to protect yourself.

1.You accuse the accuser and label him a liar.

2.You give plausible explanations to explain away the particulars.

3.You stop all burglar activity while the "heat" is on.

Now apply the above to the Watchtower Corporation.

They have sent out trained cat burglar "ministers" to people's homes. Some recruits were obtained and some pretty good pocket change resulted.

In the pre-Internet era ex-JW's simply grumbled and were labeled Evil Slaves. Nobody listened.

An occasional book (Thirty Years a Watchtower Slave) was released to very limited sales. The ex-member usually sounded like Christendom had brainwashed and financed the criticism.

Then, the real whistleblowing began!

An ex GB member wrote two books and the Internet revolution brought scans of documents, old publications, scandals, cover-ups and such VERY PUBLICLY to view!

The same old tricks were tried in response.

1.Accusing the accusers and labeling them Apostate

2.Feeble explanations oozed out which were more self-justification than any apology.

3.The clampdown started at the Kingdom Halls and witch-hunt mentality was launched.

4.The religion became a call for Loyalty to the GB more than anything else.

But, since the whistleblowing was reaching millions of people worldwide THERE WAS A BACKFIRE IN THE DOOR TO DOOR MINISTRY!

Innocent, naive and often newly-converted JW's knocked on doors and got INFORMED questions for a change which forced them to answer TOUGH QUESTIONS.

The members were now asking questions of their own in trying to answer the critics' questions at the door!

In short: this religion is in CRISIS MODE.

1.All the weaknesses in doctrine must be repaired, explained, solved and spackled shut.

2.A controlable core of LOYAL members must be solidified by discipline and rigorous elder spying.

3.A "new improved" Watchtower Society will emerge like a butterfly from a cocoon.

Until the transition takes place they are very vulnerable indeed!

Child molestation, lawsuits, public awareness and false prophecy has brought some crowing chickens home to roost!!

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

There's an interesting occurrence of nothing more of improbable fate that the WTS. with its long list of doctrinal teachings and

proclamations are now being openly exposed in places like the inter-net.

This easy accessible information is causing problems for the organization to be sure

This new and unexpected revealing of the organization and its history is even got the WTS. leaders (GB) worried and concerned.

So much so that they put out a video of them proclaiming the organization has always taught Christian truths from the bible, even C T Russell

was mentioned, stopping short of course of mentioning his Quack theology of Pyramidology.

What this open information is doing in essence is showing to the public that the WTS. publishing corporation is an organization of

devious but cunning religious charlatanism at its operational core.

I'll even predict that the organization in the future will disengage itself from the Watchtower identity all together in the foreseeable future

as the organization tries to reform itself into something uniquely different.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit