Will Jehovah Forgive Your Sins If You Don't Confess To Men?

by Englishman 20 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Love_Truth
    Love_Truth

No confession to men is necessary, as there is only one Mediator between God and man:

1 Timothy 2:5 :: New International Version (NIV) For there is one God and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus,

1 Timothy 2:5 :: New American Standard Bible (NASB)
    For there is (1) one God, and (2) one mediator also between God and men, the (3) man Christ Jesus,

Cross references: Rom 3:30; 10:12; 1 Cor 8:4

1 Cor 8:6; Gal 3:20

Matt 1:1; Rom 1:3 © 1 Timothy 2:5 :: The Message (MSG) 1 Timothy 2
    5 that there's one God and only one, and one Priest-Mediator between God and us--Jesus,

1 Timothy 2:5 :: Amplified Bible (AMP)
    1 Timothy 2
    5 For there [is only] one God, and [only] one Mediator between God and men, the Man Christ Jesus,

1 Timothy 2:5 :: New Living Translation (NLT)

1 Timothy 2
    5 For there is only one God and one Mediator who can reconcile God and people. He is the man Christ Jesus.

1 Timothy 2:5 :: King James Version (KJV)
    1 Timothy 2
    5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus; 1 Timothy 2:5 :: New Life Version (NLV)
    1 Timothy 2
    5 There is one God. There is one Man standing between God and men. That Man is Christ Jesus.

1 Timothy 2:5 :: English Standard Version (ESV)
    1 Timothy 2
    5 For there is one God, and there is one mediator between God and men, the man [1] Christ Jesus, Footnotes

1. men and man render the same Greek word that is translated people in verses 1 and 4

1 Timothy 2:5 :: Contemporary English Version (CEV)
    1 Timothy 2
    5 There is only one God,
    and Christ Jesus
    is the only one
    who can bring us
    to God.
    Jesus was truly human,
    and he gave himself
    to rescue all of us.

1 Timothy 2:5 :: New King James Version (NKJV)
    1 Timothy 2
    5 For there is one God and one Mediator between God and men, the Man Christ Jesus,

1 Timothy 2:5 :: 21st Century King James Version (KJ21)
    1 Timothy 2
    5 For there is one God and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus,

1 Timothy 2:5 :: American Standard Version (ASV)
    1 Timothy 2
    5 For there is one God, one mediator also between God and men, himself man, Christ Jesus,

1 Timothy 2:5 :: Worldwide English (New Testament) (WE)
    1 Timothy 2
    5 There is one God. There is also one man who can open the way between God and all people. That man is Christ Jesus. 1 Timothy 2:5 :: Young's Literal Translation (YLT)
    1 Timothy 2
    5 for one [is] God, one also [is] mediator of God and of men, the man Christ Jesus,

1 Timothy 2:5 :: Darby Translation (DARBY)
    1 Timothy 2
    5 For God is one, and [the] mediator of God and men one, [the] man Christ Jesus, 1 Timothy 2:5 :: Wycliffe New Testament (WYC)
    1 Timothy 2
    5 For one God and one mediator is of God and of men, a man Christ Jesus,

1 Timothy 2:5 :: New International Version - UK (NIV-UK)
    1 Timothy 2
    5 For there is one God and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus,

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Spotlight: Watchtower 6/1/01 p. 30-31

Questions

From Readers

In

view of Jehovah?s willingness to forgive sins by the merit of the ransom sacrifice, why is it necessary for Christians to confess to the older men in the congregation?

As can be seen in the case of David and Bath-sheba, Jehovah forgave David?s sin, grave though it was, because of David?s genuine repentance. When the prophet Nathan approached him, David openly confessed: "I have sinned against Jehovah."?2 Samuel 12:13.

However, Jehovah not only accepts a sinner?s sincere confession and extends forgiveness but he also makes loving provisions to help the erring one progress to spiritual recovery. In David?s case, the help came through the prophet Nathan. Today, in the Christian congregation, there are spiritually mature older men, or elders. The disciple James explains: "Is there anyone [spiritually] sick among you? Let him call the older men of the congregation to him, and let them pray over him, greasing him with oil in the name of Jehovah. And the prayer of faith will make the indisposed one well, and Jehovah will raise him up. Also, if he has committed sins, it will be forgiven him."?James 5:14, 15.

Skillful elders can do much to ease the pain of heart that is felt by the remorseful sinner. They strive to imitate Jehovah in their dealings with him. They never want to be harsh, even though strong discipline may be warranted. Rather, they compassionately consider the immediate needs of the individual. Patiently they strive to readjust the erring one?s thinking by using God?s Word. (Galatians 6:1) Even if a person does not voluntarily confess his sin, he may still be moved to repentance when approached by the elders, as David was when approached by Nathan. The support thus rendered by the elders helps the erring one to avoid the danger of repeating the sin and the serious consequences of becoming a hardened practicer of sin.?Hebrews 10:26-31.

It is certainly not easy to confess to others deeds that one feels ashamed of and to seek forgiveness. It takes inner strength. Reflect for a moment, though, on the alternative. One man who failed to reveal his serious sin to the elders in the congregation said: "I felt a pain in my heart that would not go away. I increased my efforts in the preaching work, but the sickening feeling remained." He felt that confession to God in prayer was enough, but clearly it was not, for he experienced feelings similar to King David?s. (Psalm 51:8, 11) How much better to accept the loving assistance that Jehovah provides through the elders!

Note the WT carefully avoids the reference to James 5:16 about confessing to one another (not to a certain category of men)... v. 14f do not mention confession of sins, but the fact any sin committed by a person cured from illness will be forgiven...

Contrast the Commentary on the Letter of James (1979: as we know, the author of this book has been disfellowshipped shortly afterwards):

16 Therefore openly confess your sins to one another and pray for one another

How encouraging toward ?openly confessing sins to one another? if the sincerely repentant wrong-doer knows that those to whom he confesses are primarily interested in helping him ?get healed? of his spiritual sickness! However, if such a repentant one felt that the elders would automatically deal with him as one meriting a reprimand before the whole congregation as a ?practicer of sin,? the effect would be quite different. Such a feeling could create a barrier between the congregational shepherds and those sorely needing their help to overcome a drift into continued wrongdoing. On the other hand, where confidence existed that the elders would take into account one?s sincerity in wanting to turn away from the wrong course or attitude, being desirous of never going back to it, this would surely be an encouragement to call upon the older men for assistance, and to respond to their help as would an ailing sheep to that of its conscientious shepherd.?Contrast Psalm 23:1-5 with Ezekiel 34:4.

The tense of the Greek verbs used here has a continuative sense, as saying, ?Make it a practice to confess openly your sins to one another.? Thus, Phillips? The New Testament in Modern English reads: "You should get into the habit of admitting your sins to each other."

James has previously dealt with matters that exemplify the family-like interest and warm concern that should exist within the Christian congregation as a brotherhood. With such a spiritual atmosphere, there should indeed be a confidence among its members that contributes to freeness of expression, and that confidence could be especially notable when it came to acknowledging one?s faults and wrong acts. Christians are shown in Scripture that they can and should have freeness of speech in going to God with their petitions and problems, for they have a loving Father and a compassionate, understanding Helper with the Father, God?s Son. (Heb. 2:17, 18; 4:14-16; 1 John 2:1, 2; 3:19-21; 4:17-19) What is true of the heavenly courts should be reflected in the earthly realm of God?s servants.

This confessing is not like a "confessional" arrangement where one is viewed as obligated to appear and confess all sins in order to obtain absolution from guilt in the eyes of God. Although James had previously made specific mention of the congregation elders with regard to sick ones needing aid, he here says to "confess your sins to one another," not limiting the matter to certain ones within the congregation. While this is so, it is reasonable that the one confessing his sins would seek a person who could be of real help to him in a spiritual way. Along with the desire to unburden himself, he doubtless desires the counsel and prayer of another. Galatians 6:1, 2 speaks of the readjusting of one who takes a false step and shows that it is those "who have spiritual qualifications" who are in a position to do this. Elders should have such qualifications, and others in the congregation may also have these. A woman, for example, may seek the help of a Christian sister, possibly someone older than she is, as is indicated by Paul?s counsel at Titus 2:3-5. Thus the source of the help is not limited to a certain few; the important thing is that the person have "spiritual qualifications." James shows that the object and result of this humble seeking for help should be a brotherly (or a sisterly) interest manifested in prayer to Jehovah on behalf of the one confessing the fault.

The expression "to one another" is most appropriate since all must honestly recognize their own sinful nature, thereby eliminating any basis for pride or superiority in responding to the needs of the erring one. (Compare Luke 18:9-14; 1 John 1:8-10.) Rather than superiority, there obviously should be a sense of mutual compassion, all having their own particular faults and weaknesses. The one extending help now should realize that he may someday need help himself. Along with calling for humility, such open confessing of faults can also serve as a restraint toward sinning. It leads away from a secretive course of life that deprives one of the balancing effect that the counsel of others can provide.

• got my forty homey?
    got my forty homey?

The witnesses heavily emphasize prayer, prayer, prayer. Talk to Jehovah about all your problems no matter how small! Yet tell your serious sins to the Elders! A group of plumbers, security guards and golf course maintainers! I had a long time pioneer partner of mine who was removed from pioneering because he had a serious masturbation problem. I use to ask him, what the hell is wrong with you, why tell anybody, keep it yourself and try to stop on your own. Think nasty thoughts if you want to stop wanking off!

The only reason I confessed my sins to the Elders was because my parents made me do it in order to stay in thier house with them while I was detoxing off the crack and dope!

• Gadget
    Gadget
    So there is a line that can be crossed that somehow stops you being forgiven by Jehovah?

So, I was just wondering, do people still push the limits of their behaviour right up to that line?

Do they, I wonder, feel a momentary sensation of guilt that quickly wears off, providing that they don't cross the line?

If they do cross the line, do they then feel totally rejected by Jehovah and so desperate for his approval that they quickly seek out the elders, confess all, just so they can feel that Jehovah has accepted them back again?

This is exactly the scenario that lead to my jc and being df'd. My girlfriend(Now ex) was very happy doing allsorts, but then we crossed the line and she found her consciounce.............

• Pistoff
    Pistoff

Notice that in this answer:

In view of Jehovah?s willingness to forgive sins by the merit of the ransom sacrifice, why is it necessary for Christians to confess to the older men in the congregation?

As can be seen in the case of David and Bath-sheba, Jehovah forgave David?s sin, grave though it was, because of David?s genuine repentance. When the prophet Nathan approached him, David openly confessed: "I have sinned against Jehovah."?2 Samuel 12:13.

However, Jehovah not only accepts a sinner?s sincere confession and extends forgiveness but he also makes loving provisions to help the erring one progress to spiritual recovery. In David?s case, the help came through the prophet Nathan. Today, in the Christian congregation, there are spiritually mature older men, or elders. The disciple James explains: "Is there anyone [spiritually] sick among you? Let him call the older men of the congregation to him, and let them pray over him, greasing him with oil in the name of Jehovah. And the prayer of faith will make the indisposed one well, and Jehovah will raise him up. Also, if he has committed sins, it will be forgiven him."?James 5:14, 15.

Skillful elders can do much to ease the pain of heart that is felt by the remorseful sinner. They strive to imitate Jehovah in their dealings with him. They never want to be harsh, even though strong discipline may be warranted. Rather, they compassionately consider the immediate needs of the individual. Patiently they strive to readjust the erring one?s thinking by using God?s Word. (Galatians 6:1) Even if a person does not voluntarily confess his sin, he may still be moved to repentance when approached by the elders, as David was when approached by Nathan. The support thus rendered by the elders helps the erring one to avoid the danger of repeating the sin and the serious consequences of becoming a hardened practicer of sin.?Hebrews 10:26-31.

It is certainly not easy to confess to others deeds that one feels ashamed of and to seek forgiveness. It takes inner strength. Reflect for a moment, though, on the alternative. One man who failed to reveal his serious sin to the elders in the congregation said: "I felt a pain in my heart that would not go away. I increased my efforts in the preaching work, but the sickening feeling remained." He felt that confession to God in prayer was enough, but clearly it was not, for he experienced feelings similar to King David?s. (Psalm 51:8, 11) How much better to accept the loving assistance that Jehovah provides through the elders!

THERE IS NO ANSWER TO THE QUESTION!!! Nothing in these paragraphs even restates the question; they just deliver the platitudes that the elders are there to help the weak , blah blah blah; NO WHERE do they answer the question, because the answer is NO one has to confess anything to the elders. This is just an extension of the idea that we need the elders to intercede for some reason between us and God.

I will never again discuss my private life with these pretenders; they are not shepherds or even counselors; they merely judge conduct and attitude (however they filter the attitude) and kick people out or not.

In the congregation I still attend occasionally, the elders are EXTREMELY bad about keeping things secret; my brother, who lives thousands of miles away, knew before I did that 2 people would be disfellowshiped for immorality; he knew what they were doing!!! The PO is a friend of his and told him.

When I heard this, I just shook my head. Why would any sane person go to the elders with ANYTHING?

• Spotlight
    Spotlight

Hi Narkissos,

Thanks for those useful quotes. Could you please clarify the reference though as I am in the UK and there can be confusion over the way references are quoted. I want accuracy as I may use the quotes you gave in afuture article I am writing for my site. Could you please write the actual month of the ref.. Thanks.

• JH
    JH

Didn't Jesus say "if you forgive others, your sins will also be forgiven"?

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Spotlight: Watchtower June 1st, 2001, p. 30-31.

• donkey
    donkey

Eman,

Jehovah wants them to stone your sorry ass!!!! Then you will be a good dubbie.

• Englishman
    Englishman

Seems to me that it is human nature to confess one's sins, after all confession is said to be good for the soul.

But here's the rub: Because the WT insist that confession is done through the elders, the sinning JW may keep quiet about his shortcomings to everyone because of his fear of being DF'd. If the witness confesses to anyone who is not an elder, that person then has a responsibility, under JW law, to grass him up to the elders.

Now you have a very unhappy dubby who not only is suffering from guilt, but severe repression too.

Not a good mix for maintaining one's mental health IMHO.

Englishman.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit