'God Bless You' When You Sneeze?

by willyloman 12 Replies latest jw friends

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

I say it all the time now. Just seems like a courteous thing to say after a sneeze.

Pagan, smagan. Watchtower 'scholars' wouldn't know pagan customs if they bit them in the ass.

Jeff

• aSphereisnotaCircle
    aSphereisnotaCircle

Hey Puter, it is so nice to see your smiling face.

I miss you and wish you were still here.

• Caedes
    Caedes

According to snopes the nursery rhyme Ring a rosie has nothing to do with the bubonic plague.

Although folklorists have been collecting and setting down in print bits of oral tradition such as nursery rhymes and fairy tales for hundreds of years, the earliest print appearance of "Ring Around the Rosie" did not occur until the publication of Kate Greenaway's Mother Goose or The Old Nursery Rhymes in 1881. For the "plague" explanation of "Ring Around the Rosie" to be true, we have to believe that children were reciting this nursery rhyme continuously for over five centuries, yet not one person in that five hundred year span found it popular enough to merit writing it down. (How anyone could credibly assert that a rhyme which didn't appear in print until 1881 actually "began about 1347" is a mystery. If the rhyme were really this old, then "Ring Around the Rosie" antedates even Chaucer's Canterbury Tales, and therefore we would have examples of this rhyme in Middle English as well as Modern English forms.)

They also point out that the rhyme has a number of forms and that they don't all contain the alleged references to the plague.

From http://www.snopes.com/language/literary/rosie.asp

I dont say 'Bless you' or anything similar because it is of course all superstitious nonsense, a hankie and somewhere to wash your hands is far more useful after sneezing.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit