I finally finished "Crisis of Conscience"

by Nosferatu 18 Replies latest jw friends

• a wee scots lass
    a wee scots lass

I would like to read this book - will try to get hold of it asap.

Has anyone ever written to Ray about this forum? Maybe someone should. He would be a great guy to have on board.

• Valis
    Valis

sctos lass...he's an old man you know and yes many have been in contact w/Ray and from what I understand he does his best to answer emails and phone calls. You can also help him by purchasing the book directly from his website..

http://www.commentarypress.com

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• mouthy
    mouthy

Unfortunately, as far as I am aware, it is still not available in the UK. >My mother ( when she was alive) got it in the Dagenham library ( in England).She said they ordered it from another Library in England

• codeblue
    codeblue

Congrats on your new accompliment Nos!

I won't tell you how quick I read it!!! I enjoyed the book, but I have to agree, he writes the same idea 3 times. I guess, some are not quick enough the first 2 times or convinced enough...to goes his explanations. (He didn't want to leave any doubt for anyone--you know, we all have a different take on some things)

I am glad he wrote these 2 books. You will enjoy ISOCF....a little more tidbits of "truth"...

Codeblue

• Room 215
    Room 215

Heather, any self-respecting editor faced with a WTBTS book manuscript would would either send it back with an angry note demanding a re-write, or reject it out of hand.

Ray's emergence from an editorial environment whose writers seem to believe they get paid a dollar per word explains the verbosity and redundancies. At least in his years of exile, he's learned the importance of attributing quotes.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow
    Ray's emergence from an editorial environment whose writers seem to believe they get paid a dollar per word explains the verbosity and redundancies

Maybe that's it. I used to dread any of the deep society books because most of them written with no editing. Maybe the egos of the writers were too delicate for there to be a strict editing policy? Some of the deep things were better written than others. But mostly the deep things were tedious and, as you say, full of redundancies. My mind would get tied in knots and I would give up reading the books or articles.

With Crisis Of Conscience, I had much more incentive and motivation to read and understand the book; so I persevered. Ray contributed an essential and wonderful book to JWs and the world in general when he wrote C Of C as well as ISOCF.

Ray is very courageous and wise. I am very grateful to him for having the courage to speak up and for setting others and me free. That said, I will say he is not a trained writer and could use the help of an editor to make his books more easily understandable. If ISOCF is ever edited to make it more clear and concise, I may attempt to read it again.

Heather

• boa
    boa

Great post bringing up this book again.

As I mentioned elsewhere, I pretty much made up my mind about the org and leaving it (though not publicly yet) before joining any site like this one. However, on this site that book was mentioned and I immediately went to lib and got it and finished it in a few days. I found it a great but disturbing read coming from 30 yrs in the org. I wasn't really super surprised but still it really really hurt to come to the conclusion that the men at the top are just men and that the history of the org is full of hypocrisy and or hokey pokey chronology stuff.

I'm like a freight train heading out now with my family but am still careful as I need to show discretion and care to those I love still in - but they cant' hurt me anymore if it comes right down to it!

I thought the book was written in a way that is credible and reasonable - a sure fire way to mow down a one-sided defense the wts puts out to avoid 'apostates'. I'm gonna read his other book as well as the Carl Olaf Johnson one on chronology stuff.

Take care,

boa

• Euphemism
    Euphemism

Glad you liked it, Nos, but why the h3ll did you pay 30 bucks for it? Commentary Press and Freeminds have it for 15.

• flower
    flower

it took me less than a week to finish C of C...I was addicted! lol..

i have ISOCF too but i havent read much of it. if anyone wants is planning on buying it im me and i'll send you my copy.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit