Slavery in the BIble

by Ariell 17 Replies latest jw friends

• somebodylovesme
    somebodylovesme

I'm no Biblical scholar - at ALL - but whenever I've quoted passages from Leviticus, I was told that it was voided when Jesus came, so nothing it said applied. ???

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere
    I'm no Biblical scholar - at ALL - but whenever I've quoted passages from Leviticus, I was told that it was voided when Jesus came, so nothing it said applied. ???

That's the Gotcha in religion... it depends on whether you believe something or not. If you believe that Jesus got rid of the law... then it is true. If you believe that Jesus did not get rid of the law... then that is true. JWs like to have it both ways. They say that the law was abolished with Jesus, but at the same time they are to be used as guidelines... which is why women may or may not have to scream while being raped to avoid being DFed and shunned.

• Double Edge
    Double Edge
    Exactly. If I was a bible believing slave owner 200 years ago I would think slavery was okay too. I'm surprised they outlawed it.

well, there was the 'minor' skermish that changed they way things were run.... it was called The Civil War.

• Ariell
    Ariell
    well, there was the 'minor' skermish that changed they way things were run.... it was called The Civil War.

Yea, and the side that opposed it had to come to a conclusion that it was wrong, which surprises me, as I'm sure most, if not all, where Christian.

• flower
    flower

Slavery? thats nothing compared to the...rape, murder, child abuse, ect ect. The bible is full of violence and crimes that are today unthinkable. I dont know how anyone can read it and say its God is loving. Heres another 'loving' example... I'm sure these things were for the womans own good, just like disfellowshiping of jw's is for our own good

RAPE (duet 22:23-24 28-29)

If a man is caught in the act of raping a young woman who is not engaged, he must pay fifty pieces of silver to her father. Then he must marry the young woman because he violated her, and he will never be allowed to divorce her.

If within the city a man comes upon a maiden who is betrothed, and has relations with her, you shall bring them both out of the gate of the city and there stone them to death: the girl because she did not cry out for help though she was in the city, and the man because he violated his neighbors wife.

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

Actually Ariell most Abolitionists were Christians (for example, the Quakers).

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

The next silly thing to judging a 2000 y-o text by modern standards is using this text as a standard for present behaviour (or politics).

Maybe in the next centuries our descendants will stare at some of our current institutions (jail, for instance) as utterly barbarous. I hope so.

• Navigator
    Navigator

How ridiculous to imagine that God approved of slavery!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit