JW baptisms......

by Nan 17 Replies latest jw friends

• Nan
    Nan

Was curious how JWs are baptized? What is said when they are baptized? Christians are baptized "....in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit". What wording is used with JWs?

Also, who does the baptizing? The elders?

Thanks,

Nan

• Phantom Stranger
    Phantom Stranger

Nan, "Christians" is a very broad term, and I'm pretty sure you're not their union representative :)

What flavor of christians are you talking about?

BTW, click on Search up on top, then select Belief, Doctrine and Practices, then select Anytime, and you'll get a list of discussions on this very topic (better than I could provide:)

• logansrun
    logansrun

Any baptized brother in "good standing" can baptise someone else.

I believe the JWs are baptised in the name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Socks. j/k...

B.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Dunked, by the elders. Baptism is done at the larger gatherings. Purpose-built buildings will have a baptism room. At public facilities, they may rent a portable pool. Much fanfare by suited elders and ministerial servants surrounds the care and maintenance of this pool. Watching them fuss over the pool is more interesting than the talk. Candidates bring their own change of clothes, usually something modest over a swimsuit. The baptism announcement and candidates is done publicly, but there is not as much fanfare about the dunking as one would see at a Baptist service.

See the very end of this webpage for the wording:

http://quotes.jehovahswitnesses.com/baptism.htm

I believe this has been updated recently, candidates no longer vow to follow the organization.

• logansrun
    logansrun

I've heard of MS's doing the plunging, jgnat. You lie. It be more than elders!

• jgnat
    jgnat

You may be right, Logans. I speak only from my own observations. Them suits all look alike to me....

• logansrun
    logansrun

JWs generally like to have big, burly men do the dunking. There's a lot of humungoid bible-students, you know.

• Phantom Stranger
    Phantom Stranger

Hey, anything to touch women in swimsuits without marrying them first...

• logansrun
    logansrun

OMG...I wonder how many brother's got wood in the pool?

• gitasatsangha
    gitasatsangha

I cant say, logan-5, but i did get wood watching some of the sisters get dunked. Modest bathingsuits, be damned!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit