Can JW's vote on whether the UK should leave the EU?

by Splash 10 Replies latest social current

• Splash
    Splash

JW's are not allowed to vote for political parties etc, but what about the vote, probably during 2016, to decide if the UK should leave the EU?

The w99 11/1 QFR on voting says
    There are clear principles set out in the Bible that enable servants of God to take a proper view of this matter. However, there appears to be no principle against the practice of voting itself...
    What, though, of voting in political elections? ... As to whether they will personally vote for someone running in an election, each one of Jehovah’s Witnesses makes a decision based on his Bible-trained conscience and an understanding of his responsibility to God and to the State. (Matthew 22:21; 1 Peter 3:16) In making this personal decision, the Witnesses consider a number of factors.

This isn't a political election. If a JW did vote on this the elders would instinctively try to 'play it safe' and bring this person to book, but would they be following WT directions correctly if they did so?
  • Splash
    Splash

A more recent directive comes from the God's Love (2014) book:

*** lv pp. 213-214 Flag Salute, Voting, and Civilian Service *** Voting in political elections.
    True Christians respect the right of others to vote. They do not campaign against elections, and they cooperate with elected authorities. However, they remain resolutely neutral with regard to the political affairs of the nations. What should a Christian do in lands where voting is compulsory or in a situation where feelings run high against those who do not go to the voting booth? Remembering that Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego went as far as the plain of Dura, a Christian, under similar circumstances, may decide to go to the booth if his conscience permits. However, he will take care not to violate his neutrality. He should take into account the following six principles:

1. Jesus’ followers are “no part of the world.”

2. Christians represent Christ and his Kingdom.

3. The Christian congregation is united in belief, and its members are bound together by Christlike love.

4. Those who elect a certain official share responsibility for what he does.

5. Jehovah viewed Israel’s desire for a visible ruler as a sign that they had rejected Him.

6. Christians must have freeness of speech when speaking to people of all political persuasions about God’s Kingdom government.

Some JW's will freak out just at the mention of the word "vote" and have no ability to reason on it, but do any of the above criteria relate to the forthcoming EU election?

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

What they put in print for the public (political leaders) to read is in no way the same as what they put into practice. If you vote (for anything), you're violating your neutrality and you have (by your actions) shown that you "no longer are one of JWs". You have DA (by your actions).

Doc

• Actigall Ur
    Actigall Ur

Who cares? I'm still an active JW and I registered last year to vote. I've been endorsing, Ted Cruz, Ben Carson and Trump and if either of them get he nomination I'll vote for them.

Vote, play the lotto, smoke. Just live.

• Simon
    Simon
    I've been endorsing, Ted Cruz, Ben Carson and Trump and if either of them get he nomination I'll vote for them.

Jesus wept.

• Splash
    Splash
    DOC If you vote (for anything), you're violating your neutrality

Yes, you're correct. That will be the reaction.
    So if I vote for "in" or "out", who am I aligning myself with? How am I no longer neutral?

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Any B.O.E, or J.C appointed by them, is free to interpret your actions their way, and there is little you can do.

They may claim that the E.U is a political union as well as an economic one or something.

I have voted openly in all elections since I walked away from the cult, nearly eight years ago, I have never heard anything from the JW's about this, they are probably not aware that I vote ?

If they tried to DA me for it, I would involve the national Media, just for the hell of it, such coercion not to Vote is despicable, and of course not really justifiable from scripture, like nearly all their rules.

• Actigall Ur
    Actigall Ur

Jesus wept.

I take it that you don't like any of them.

• StephaneLaliberte
    StephaneLaliberte
    I voted for the first time of my life last Monday. To be honest, I never thought the reasons provided by the JW made much sense about not voting. However, I didn’t think it was worth making a fuss about it.
    • How would voting make you “part of the world” opposed to say, going to work everyday and paying your taxes?
    • How does voting would prevent you from representing Christ and his kingdom?
    • Those who elect a certain official share a responsibility? Anyone who pays taxes and makes no action against a bad official shares in the responsibility!
    • Israel’s desire for a human leader has nothing to do with Christians… Israel had its own government while Christians do not control any governments!
    • Since you do not have to say who you vote for, how would that impact your preaching work?

Arguments provided by the JW for not voting is BS.

• StephaneLaliberte
    StephaneLaliberte

Also, an argument that was often provided to me was : Voting is putting your trust in the worlds government. Yes, governments can do some goods, but only Jehovah’s kingdom will bring lasting changes.

Yet that logic, transferred to the medical world shows just how stupid that is: Going to the doctor for treatment is putting your trust in man. Yes, doctors can do some good, but only Jehovah’s kingdom will bring lasting cures to everything, including death.

Who came up with the no voting rule? I mean, I understand that an active minister should not get involved in politics, but to the extent of not even voting?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit