Where were you when..........

by ScoobySnax 39 Replies latest jw friends

• ScoobySnax
    ScoobySnax

Nina......

You remember Kennedy? Blimey! you must be eledgible to be my mum too.

9/11 as in Diana......I remember a funny sort of atmosphere about the day to day stuff, like something was hanging heavy in the air......almost like you could sort of feel something. Weird.

• ScoobySnax
    ScoobySnax

Tex..... I never said that......it was a typo. I said shag. as in shaggy. It just came out wrong. ok?

• luna
    luna

Diana- I don't really remember where I was when Diana died...It was sad, but I didn't lose any sleep over it. I imagine you Brits were hit much harder than us.

9/11- I had an interview that day, and had woken up early. However, I didn't want to wake anyone, so I didn't turn on the news like I normally did. I had a cd on in my car, and didn't listen to the radio, so I had no idea what had happened until I got to my interview. The girl at the front desk told me the lady that was supposed to interview me was gone, and hadn't I heard what had happened. I imagine they thought I was crazy showing up for an interview when we were under attack. All the girls in the office were in a state of shock, and had me listen to the radio while I filled out paperwork, which was really surreal. I remember thinking I needed to get home and watch the news. Hearing it on the radio didn't have as much impact as seeing it visually. That day, I watched the news non-stop, but it didn't have the emotional impact of the next few weeks. That day was about disbelief. Then the reports about the people that died started up. I swear I didn't stop crying for the entire month of September....

Now I have a really, really good friend who lives in Manhattan, and he can't even talk about it. I can't imagine what it would've been like to live through it...

Luna

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

1. I was babysitting my precious grandson. We drover over to pick up my daughter who met us at the car. With big, sad liquid eyes, she said, "Did you hear Princess Diana's been killed in a car crash?" It was about 10 at night when I found out. We were and are very sad to lose such a beautiful soul. So humble and so caring. What a great loss to her sons.

2. I was living on Oahu. My daughter woke me up at 2:30 AM, there is a six hour time difference in the east coast and Hawaii. She said, mom a plane has crashed into the Trade Center. She read it on line. We turned on the TV only to watch in horror as the second plane hit and then news of the Pentagon crash and the plane in Pennsylvania. Very weird and scary to be stranded in the middle of the Pacific Ocean with all that going on. Deafening silence and very surreal right up to the time I left several months later.

I didn't even know there was such a thing as a president until Kennedy was shot. Then I saw Jack Ruby shot on national TV. I was only 5. I remember that all day long they interviewed crying people. I watched the funeral, too.

I recall Bobby Kennedy's death as well as MLK. I was 9 then.

I remember the Space Shuttle Challenger blowing up. I was having a bible study with a pioneer sister. She would study with me to encourage me. That cong. was an exceptional one.

Heather

• CountryGuy
    CountryGuy

1. I was the night security guard at a retirement community. This community had private homes, independent living apartments and a nursing home. About 1:00 in the morning, I got a call from one of the residents the apartment complex. "She's dead! She's dead!"

"Who's dead?" I asked her.

"Diana, she died tonight," she cried into the phone.

"Let me call 911 and I'll be right up!" We had just had a gentleman pass away a week before on another guard's shift.

"No you idiot! Princess Diana was killed in a car crash this evening!"

2. I had scheduled myself to work that afternoon, so I could take care of a speeding ticket in municiple court that morning. My case was first, so I got out relatively quick. On the way home, I was scanning the radio stations. I landed on one station who's morning dj's were known to be a bit "crass" at times. When they announced that a plane had just hit the WTC, I thought to myself, "Now, these a$$holes have gone too far." By the time I got home, I had listened to three other stations and confirmed the news report. I ran inside and sat there watching the news until it was time to go to work.

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart
    you must be eledgible to be my mum too

Is the position open? I make a great chicken soup!

(Of course, you realize if you ever come to an apostafest in Dallas I'm going to have to get you for that remark!)

Nina

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

Who me?

Nah, it's not like that here Scoob. Just having you on.

You should know not to read the Daily Mail.

By the way, Nina just told me that you're going to get it if you ever come to Dallas. Don't know what she means by that.

• ScoobySnax
    ScoobySnax

Does that make Chris "the daddy" .......lol

and I read the Daily Express........the Daily Mail is a right wing mothers institute publication!

Ok I'm fornicating.....but an Apostofest? Nah that would be pushing it toooooooo far!

Scott

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart

Aw, c'mon! We'll bring the drinks!

Nina

• luna
    luna

The Challenger! I was in sixth grade. We were watching it on TV in class....it was a really big deal to our teachers, since there was a teacher on board the shuttle. They'd been preparing us for the big event, and I remember watching it, and being a little in awe of it all, being 11-12 years old...

Then it exploded. There was just dead silence in the room. My teacher ran to the tv and turned it off, which I suppose he thought was a good idea. Protecting our little minds, or something. But, we were all just confused..."was that SUPPOSED to happen??" sort of thing. Then a bunch of teachers ran in our class crying, and then we knew.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit