Tacoma Dome Parking Scandal

by VM44 19 Replies latest jw friends

• Mulan
    Mulan

The scandal was that the WTS paid for the use of the Tacoma Dome, with the understanding that parking was to be "no additional charge" to those coming to the Dome. Then they sold parking tickets to the publishers at their KH's.

When that became public knowledge through Tacoma newspapers, they had no choice but to stop selling the tickets.

• outnfree
    outnfree

And am I not right in concluding that the Tacoma Dome waived collection of parking fees because they were leasing to a religious organization when, had the WT not negotiated using the reasoning that the group was charitable, the Dome might have provided its own parking lot attendants and collected fees as it normally does for events held there? Fees that would have been taxable by the local city government (and perhaps state and federal as well)?

outnfree

• bikerchic
    bikerchic

We had the priviledge of meeting VeniceIT and her parents last summer and it was really wonderful to hear their story first hand. Incredible story!

Here is VeniceIT's web site where you can read more about the Tacoma Dome scandle:

http://www.geocities.com/veniceexjw/

Kate

• DIM
    DIM

yeah that makes sense...i'm sure they negotiated that, and then tried to collect on top of that...

my only point was that the city of Philadelphia isn't as stupid as the city of Tacoma...they never let parking go w/ out city of Philadelphia employees...so we had to pay every year.

• Gadget
    Gadget
    us bikers park everywhere like that

Yeah, but they don't normally pull up in the middle of the prayer with open pipes........

• shamus
    shamus

Bump.

What do the apologists have to say about this?

• Special K
    Special K

Thanks for posting Vinice's site... Bikerchic

I read it all . "My story"....was a good picture of how a pack hyenas can turn on it's own and devour you.

I had never heard about this Tacoma Parking Scandal. Even the newpaper article was posted.

sincerely

Special K

• Sam Whiskey
    Sam Whiskey

I remember going to this assembly at the Tacoma Dome and "donating" for my parking ticket. Anyone else attend this assembly and make a "donation" for their parking ticket?

• Calebs Airplane
    Calebs Airplane

Sam... you should set up a class action law suit (wait... maybe it's past the statute of limitations.... never mind)

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

Some JW district conventions in Australia have required the purchase ('contribution') for a 'parking ticket' for convention parking. I don't know whether there was any cost charged by the venue.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit