Diabetes

by CountryGuy 12 Replies latest watchtower medical

• CountryGuy
    CountryGuy

Hello everyone,

There are two diseases that seem to "run" in my family: cancer and diabetes. This morning my doctor told me that I now have diabetes. This really isn't a surprise to me, I've been waiting for the shoe to drop so to speak. In less than two months I've lost 40 lbs., and I've had a never ending thirst which lead to many trips to the bathroom.

Does anyone else here have diabetes? What are your experiences with changing your eating habits? Any other suggestions?

Thanks, CountryGuy

• talesin
    talesin

CG,

Sorry to hear that, but it can be manageable.

Diabetes also 'runs in my family'. I have the kind that requires no drugs, as does my dad.

Controlling the blood sugar is the most important thing - too much carbs at one time will cause a sugar rush, putting you into a blood sugar crisis. Protein is safer than carbs - I have found that learning to cook high-protein low carb meals is most helpful.

For example, beans are an excellent source of protein - refried beans, hummus, and tofu are really good sources and easy to cook. Guacomole (I know it's a fruit, but low sugar and high fat - gives your system a rest from dealing with the sugar) makes an excellent snacks (ie, meal since I snack at least 5 times per day). Add with that small portions of carbs - rice, potatoe (sp? a la Quail). Add in some veg with the carbs - a small amount of rice for example 1/4 cup with 1/2 cup of broccoli - that way your blood sugar doesn't rise too much and you get good nutrients with the carbs as well as a bit of fat with the butter on your broccoli (yum). Eat proteins separate from the carbs - learn to regulate your blood sugar naturally.

Fruits are tricky - you have to watch the sugar content. Although they contain a lot of good minerals and vitamins, they are often high in fructose, which give a quick sugar rush (dangerous). Suggested reading: Jane Brody's Guide to Nutrition (an old book from the 80's but good info).

Also, if you smoke you must take this into consideration since smoking changes your insulin levels in a strange way that I can't quite grasp.

If you are an insulin diabetic, the rules change - it's a different ball game that I am not familiar with and I would suggest seeking the help of a nutritionist and other health professionals.

The main purpose is to 'manage' your illness, and take it seriously. Learn to enjoy your choices, rather than fight the limitations of your diet.

Good luck with it!

talesin

• jgnat
    jgnat

I found it much easier to change my eating habits than I thought. Once I figured out the sugar high-low cycle, and found out WHY certain foods were making me sick, sick, sick, it was not so hard to turn them down. When I see a bowl of candies, now, I see poison and misery.

The trick with diabetic living is balance, balance, balance. Eat on a schedule, every two hours, no variation. Get a carb in there (not too much), protein, fruit/vegetable. When I first started out, my doctor gave me a picture of a plate. Half the plate was tossed salad. The second half of the plate was broken in to quarters - protein (burger patty) and carbohydrate (potatoes). Now I see a plate and can predict how good (or bad) it will make me feel.

The way my dad explained it, our body converts WHATEVER we eat in to fuel. We can't be driving around on NOS (Nitrous Oxide) 24/7, we would burn out the engine. The trick is to portion out our fuel sources from the slowest burning to the fastest burning. That way our engine humms along nicely all day. ... and why every two hours? 'cause otherwise, it is too hard to keep track of what bit of fuel you need next. In order of slowest to fastest,

Veggies
    Proteins
    Carbohydrates
    Sugars!!!! (NOS)

• ZazuWitts
    ZazuWitts

Country Guy, I highly suggest you get a book titled: Type II Diabetes: The First year by Gretchen Becker, it is in most book stores, or you may even find it at your local library, and even Amazon.com - where they even have used copies at a reasonable price. Most hospitals and even dieticians recommend the typical American Diabetes Association diet (ADA), which is heavy on carbohydrates. Diabetes is very much a YMMV disease (Your mileage may vary) - and, therefore, ONE type diet doesn't work for all diabetics. This book will explain the various options diabetics have in regard to diet. Did your doctor give you a glucose monitoring device? You definitely need one, it is very, very important to test frequently to see how various foods are affecting your blood glucose. When I was first dx'd - I tested 10-12 times/day to see just how various foods affected my sugars. Don't worry, you won't have to do this forever!! - once you find what foods have the negative impact on your meter, you can then test just morning and evening to see how you are maintaining. The idea is to keep your sugar levels as near to normal (non-diabetic) as possible to avoid diabetic complications. Your doctor will be monitoring you (via blood tests) several times per year to check on how your 'sugar' levels are impacting you. Particularly important is your A1c, which is a three-month overall average of glucose glycation in your body. Do you know what your A1c was upon diagnoses? If not, find out, and in fact, ask for copies of your lab work each time your doctor has it done - you are entitled to them. It will all seem overwhelming at first, but will quickly become second nature to you. I wish you well.

• Scully
    Scully

Country Guy

Check with your doctor about attending diabetic education sessions. Diabetic Educators are specially trained nurses who can help you formulate a plan for modifying your lifestyle so that diabetes is properly managed.

You'll learn about your medications, appropriate diet and exercise and the roles each play in controlling your blood sugar.

If your doctor isn't aware of any such programs, you can usually find them through your local chapter of the American Diabetes Association. http://www.diabetes.org/

Love, Scully RN

• CountryGuy
    CountryGuy

Hi everyone,

Thanks for your replies and PMs. Even though I was expecting it, the reality of the situation has hit me a bit harder than I would have thought. I appreciate your support.

My doctor drew blood to do get the three month levels on Friday. Since it was the last day of the week, I won't know the results until Monday. Maybe by then I'll have all the information sheets and booklets he gave me read.

Thanks again for your support!

CountryGuy

• Redneck
    Redneck

I was diagnosed last year..its not been easy ..I am still having time with it myself..but theres alotta good advice here so far..

Scully, those nurse well there called the dreaded Sugar Nazis....My Dr started calling the one I had that..lol

• shamus
    shamus

If I don't eat properly, my depression acts up big time. I have to restrict my diet to mostly diabetic to protect me from sharp jumps in my sugar level.

I used to know a person who was diabetic years ago. He would stick himself with needles occasionally, and have big mood swings. It's not a pleasant disease, but it can be managed.

Sorry you all have to deal with it.

• flower
    flower

Diabetes runs in my family as well. My mother lost her eyesight completely a few years ago due to complications of the disease. Take care of your diet and exercise. This disease is not something to be taken lightly.

• Panda
    Panda

I'm type II diabetic and I am a miserable example. My blood sugar is way to high and the doc now suggests getting on insulin. But since I don't have health insurance I am putting that off. I'd say really make the effort to regulate your blood sugar with your diet.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit