Newsweek Cover: Who Killed Jesus?

by willyloman 9 Replies latest jw friends

• willyloman
    willyloman

MSN has posted the cover of the latest issue of Newsweek, with a cover story on Mel Gibson's new movie based on Jesus' crucifixion. The provocative headline: Who Really Killed Jesus.

Without getting into THAT debate, I'm going to go out on a limb and make a prediction:

I have not read the article, but think it is a pretty safe bet that with all the religious experts they will quote in this article, there will not be one single reference to the WTS or JW's.

Just a couple of years ago, the same magazine (or was it Time?), did an article on "The Last Days" and the Armageddon scare, remember? I was "in" at the time; I searched in vain for some mention of Watchtower prophecy. Did I find anything? No! The WTS simply does not exist as far as the mainstream media are concerned. This always mystified me when I was "in the truth." I chalked it up to a grudge against God's chosen ones; you know, their eyes blinded by Satan, and all that.

But I never could fully convince myself. It seemed odd that after 120 years of preaching about the coming of the end, that if this work was THAT effective, no major news magazine could even think about doing an article on Armageddon -- or any other topic related to bible prophecy, or bible research -- without going to what JW's all believe is the highest authority on the planet on this subject: the FDS!

Perhaps they need a better "publicity agent," to use Rutherford's phrase. Because, in the 80-some years since 1919, they've utterly failed to advertise, advertise, advertise, the king and his kingdom. After all that effort, they don't even register as a blip on the screen when reporters set out to investigate stories based on the bible. Remarkable, isn't it? If the preaching work really worked, the standard response in any newsroom to the suggestion, "Let's do a story on (insert bible topic here)" would be to call Brooklyn.

• Carmel
    Carmel

sokay! they missed the second coming too!

caveman

• Loris
    Loris

Willyloman, amazing insight.

Newsweek had an article about Ray Franz leaving the GB in the mid 80's and in mid 2002 they had a couple of paragraphs about the WT at the end of an article about sexual abuse in the Catholic church. The WT is a curiosity to the media nothing more. It is seen as just another goofy religion.

You're right, if they really were the great world recognized Bible experts that they proclaim they are, the media would be asking them the tough Bible questions.

Thanks for the thread.

Loris

• Richie
    Richie

I haven't seen the movie yet but I surely will at a future date. I know that there is quite a controversy about the issue whether the "Jewish people" killed my saviour Jesus Christ. In fact, the opposite is the truth: Jewish people did not kill Jesus, but only the religious leaders, the Pharisees were responsible for killing Him. There may have been some scattered individuals who were standing behind the Pharisees in condoning the Pharisees' actions, but overall the Jewish race or people were NOT guilty for that crime. Just an observation, albeit important.

Richie :*)

• Guest 77
    Guest 77

willyloman, greetings. It has suprised me why the ever bashing Bill O"Reilly never did a story about JW's and pedophilia. It also surprises me that he never has linked MJ with the JW's, especially the accusation against him. Nope, not a beep. I could be wrong as others also tune into Bill.

As to the movie, there's enough 'enemies in this sytem to go around for everyone, including you. No need to be surprised or shock.

Guest 77

• RunningMan
    RunningMan

Good point. The society claims that they are the central figure in modern history. Every Bible prophecy revolves around them and is being fulfilled in them. They are "rocking the nations". The are like a "swarm of locusts", tormenting the politicians and religious leaders. They have "filled the earth" with their teachings. Their resolutions are the "bowls of God's anger". In fact, Armageddon itself will come because the world leaders refuse to hand over rightful control of the planet to them.

They have made all these grandious claims, yet in reality, even in a field in which they actually do contribute greatly (apocalyptic crapola) they don't even register. They are irrelevant.

• Sargon
    Sargon
    After all that effort, they don't even register as a blip on the screen when reporters set out to investigate stories based on the bible

Excellant thread Willy, the only positive press the WTS gets is it's own. I'm just wondering why, after so many years of such intense study by the WTS; nobody outside the org looks upon them as experts.

Runningman... love that term apocalytic crapola; you should copyrite it.

• willyloman
    willyloman
    They have made all these grandious claims, yet in reality, even in a field in which they actually do contribute greatly (apocalyptic crapola) they don't even register. They are irrelevant.

My point, exactly (and you did it in far fewer words).

• willyloman
    willyloman
    after so many years...nobody outside the org looks upon them as experts.

Isn't that remarkable?

• jst2laws
    jst2laws

Hello Willyloman,

No! The WTS simply does not exist as far as the mainstream media are concerned.

Well, they did get mention a few months ago in NewsWeek, as a dangerous sect in a serious of articles on medical treatment vs waiting on God to cure.

Steve

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit