Can a pedolphile reform?

by Bonnie_Clyde 2 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• Bonnie_Clyde
    Bonnie_Clyde

I need help soon - I was molested by my brother when I was about 9 or 10 and he was about 15 or 16. It has been about 50 years now. The only way I got him to stop was when I threatened to tell my parents. Since then, I was completely quiet about it. We became witnesses not long after that and I truly believed that now that we were in Jehovah's "clean" organization that everything would be OK.

Since then, he married and had four children. He lived 2000 miles away so for at least 30 years, I seldom saw him. He was not particularly a good father--He often used physical abuse (which he called discipline) but I do know that it was harsh enough where at least once his daughter called the police. However, in my naivity, I still believed that no way would he molest his children as he was in the "truth." Lately, after becoming more aware of the scope of the pedophile problem, I am beginning to wonder. However, all of his children are grown now. He has one grandchild, but doesn't live at all near him. In fact he is quite the loner.

Right now, my brother is giving me all kinds of problems on another issue, even threatening to take me to court over a financial issue. All of a sudden, all my old feelings are coming back. He was always a bully when I was growing up, and now I'm seeing him as a bully again. I'm thinking that this might be the time to expose him. Don't know for sure what good it would do and whether I need to go through the trauma. Any advice?

• Stacy Smith
    Stacy Smith

Well if you out him over revenge no one will believe you anyway.

To your primary question..... I believe they can never be reformed, only controlled.

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

I'd say speak to a mental health pro on the issue. As a whole, no, they can't be reformed is my opinion. I was about the same age when I was molested by my brother too.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit