Jehovah's Witness grandparents ordered to keep faith to themselves

by OrphanCrow 35 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow
    DoubtingBro: I guess when I read visitation rights, I see that as something legally enforceable. I didn't realize that grandparents had the ability to legally to see a grandchild with the same enforcement as a parent. I was always under the assumption that parents had complete control over who their kids spent time with.

A Family Court in Canada is going to take a look at what precedents have been set. What is important to the court is what is "usual" for the child. So, in this case, whether the grandparents had a "legal" right to see the child because of their biological connection would be secondary to what was already a common practice in that child's life.

The history of the case is such that a pattern of visitation had already been established. At that point, the legalities of the grandparents' biological right to visitation is secondary. They were already a part of the child's life, with the consent and cooperation of the mother. What is at issue in this case is the circumstances and reasons for the breakdown in an established relationship.

I believe that anybody can apply for visitation rights to a minor child, if it is proven to the courts that they are an integral part of that child's life and will have a positive influence on the child's future. You don't have to be a grandparent or even biologically related to a child to have legal visitation rights established in a court of law. But you also have to prove that not being able to continue in established contact with the child will have a detrimental effect on the child's future or well being.

• Doubting Bro
    Doubting Bro
    OrphanCrow, thanks for the clarification. I forgot this case was Canadian which explains the difference from what I'm used to (US)
  • KateWild
    KateWild

Interesting thread. I missed it 9 months ago. I am annoyed that I couldn't join in the conversation. We didn't have a court ruling, but my son refused to go to meetings with his dad, and his dad was trying to force him. Eventually his dad gave up.

This was when we were in court about 18 months ago, I could have used it as a precedent if there are similar historical cases. But it's good to know if the situation arises again or other posters are in the same position. Good find Orphan.

• DJS
    DJS

Sounds like this would be an excellent concept for this site. There are similarities between children of divorce and those who have left the DarkTower: Broken families, destroyed relationships. Broken trust.

Both are emotionally and psychologically fragile.

Keep it to yourselves. Excellent ruling.

• Wayward
    Wayward

Just to weigh about grandparents' visitation rights: Here in the US the Supreme Court ruled that grandparents do NOT have an absolute right to visitation with grandchildren if the parents refuse to allow it. The parents have the right to decide how much access, if any, to allow. If the grandparents feel that the parent or parents are unfit, they have to go to court to try and get custody.

• Saename
    Saename
    A.R. insisted the child "had begged to go to Kingdom Hall."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit