Scrutinizing the teaching of Jesus Christ year 1874 vs 1914

by MacHislopp 10 Replies latest watchtower bible

• MacHislopp
    MacHislopp

Hello everyone,

As some of the older posters will remember me, will know that I’been absent from the board for a long time. I was sick for a long time and now I’m slowly recovering.

I’ve been reading the posts for the last few days now and I do like them, as in the past.

I would like to share with you an e-mail that I sent to a friend who was challenging me to prove a mistake or wrong statement in the rather recent Society’s publication.

I took advantage of a post written here (!) to prepare the email.

Here below what I’ve sent the other evening

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°

Dear Jonathan,

Following your challenge, I would like to show you briefly

what I did tell you personally concerning the incorrect/false

claims made by the Society’ Governing Body.

The subject is

Scrutinizing the teaching of Jesus Christ

presence year 1874 vs year 1914

QUOTE:

· *** g84 8/22 p. 28 From Our Readers ***

You all loved it, didn’t you? You couldn’t resist taking a shot at the Catholic Church, could you? I will never forgive the way you mercilessly tore down the Pope. If Jehovah’s Witnesses must refer to cheap shots in attempting to bring down other religions, they’re in more trouble than the Catholics.

M. C., Florida

We surely were not trying to take cheap shots at the pope or the Catholic Church, nor were we criticizing Catholics. The Catholic Church occupies a very significant position in the world and claims to be the way of salvation for hundreds of millions of people.Any organization that assumes that position should be willing to submit to scrutiny and criticism. All who criticize have the obligation to be truthful in presenting the facts and fair and objective in assessing such. In both respects we try to live up to that obligation’ED.

End of Quote _

With the above premise, allow me to give you an example based on a recent Society’s publication:

Quote :

11 Upon recognizing that Christ’s presence began in 1914, Jesus’ followers rightly prepared for a possible early arrival of the end. They did so by intensifying their Kingdom-preaching work. Jesus indicated that he might come later—“at dawn or early in the morning.” If that happened, how were his followers to respond? He said: “Keep on the watch.” So a long wait would not justify mentally postponing the end or totally dismissing their expectations.

From The Watchtower August 15th , 2015 pag 16. par 11

Study article schheduled for Sunday , October 11th 2015

·

·

Q. When did the Society’s Governing Body recognize that the presence began in the year 1914? The facts

The answer is provided by a Society’s publication published 42 years ago , a book called .

“God’s Kingdom of a Thousand Years Has Approached”

*** ka *(1973 edition)

Let’s see on page 208 par.55:

*** ka chap. 11 pp. 209-210 par. 55 “Here Is the Bridegroom!” ***

55 In the year 1943 the Watch Tower Bible and Tract Society published the book “The Truth Shall Make You Free.” In its chapter 11, entitled “The Count of Time,” it did away with the insertion of 100 years into the period of the Judges and went according to the oldest and most authentic reading of Acts 13:20, and accepted the spelled-out numbers of the Hebrew Scriptures.

This moved forward the end of six thousand years of man’s existence into the decade of the 1970’s. Naturally this did away with the year 1874 C.E. as the date of return of the Lord Jesus Christ and the beginning of his invisible presence or parousia. The millennium that was to be marked by the detaining of Satan the Devil enchained in the abyss and by the reign of the 144,000 joint heirs with Christ in heavenly glory was therefore yet in the future.

What, then, about the parousia (presence) of Christ? Page 324 of the above book positively says:

“The King’s presence or parousia began in 1914 .”

Also, in the Watchtower issue of July 15, 1949 (page 215, paragraph 22), the statement is made:

“ . . . Messiah, the Son of man, came into Kingdom power A.D. 1914 and . . . this constitutes his second coming and the beginning of his second parousía or presence.”

Q. 55. (a) When and how was the insertion of 100 years into the period of the Judges done away with, so that 6,000 years of man’s existence ended when?

(b) How did this affect the date 1874 C.E., and what question arose?

and

56 In the year 1950, there was published the New World Translation of the Christian Greek Scriptures, with the most authentic reading of Acts 13:20, and translating pa·rou·siʹa every time as “presence.”

Immediately afterward appeared the book “This Means Everlasting Life.” Its chapter 21 was entitled “Second Presence of Life’s Chief Agent.”

Here was a whole chapter on the subject according to the straight Bible timetable. On pages 220-222, we read:

The evidence already considered proves that A.D. 1914 God’s kingdom was born and his Son was enthroned with authority to rule with an iron rod amid his foes. Eventually he will dash them to pieces and rid the universe of all fighters against God’s rightful sovereignty.—Psalm 2:8, 9.

So A.D. 1914 marks the time of Christ’s invisible return in spirit. . . . His coming into the Kingdom in 1914 marks the beginning of his second presence or pa·rou·siʹa. This Greek word means presence.

. . . Although invisible in spirit, his second presence is of such importance to people over all the earth that it must not be kept secret, and it will not be. . . . “For just as the lightning comes out of eastern parts and shines over to western parts, so the presence [pa·rou·siʹa] of the Son of man will be.”—Matthew 24:26, 27, NW.

Since 1914 the present Christ has been making the evidences of his second presence or pa·rou·siʹa manifest and understandable to men everywhere.

57 How harmonious with the inspired Scriptures it is, then, that Christ did not begin reigning forty years before the end of the Gentile Times in 1914!

Rather, he waited till then at his heavenly Father’s right hand to begin ruling in the midst of his earthly enemies, whom Jehovah places as a stool for his feet! (Psalm 110:1, 2; Hebrews 10:12, 13) Rightly, then, his royal presence or parousia began in that year. In the year 1919, as history proves, he caused the midnight cry to sound on earth and roused the sleeping “virgins” to the urgency of the situation. “Here is the bridegroom! Be on your way out to meet him.” That cry assured them of the heavenly Bridegroom’s presence. The “discreet” virgin class has since been on its way out to meet him. They are seen shining as luminaries in this benighted world. This in itself is an evidence that the promised presence of Christ is upon us. It is also an evidence that God’s kingdom by Christ of a thousand years has approached!

58 Fulfillment of the parable of the “ten virgins” is not all there is to the “sign” of the approach of that blessed millennial kingdom. We cannot, therefore, stop with this parable, but must go on to consider other features of that wondrous “sign.”

End of Quote

In conclusion it is very clear that the Society’s Governing Body admitted that it was not until the year 1943 that the Presence/Parousia from the year 1914 was adopted and taught as a the official teaching.

In other word since the year 1879 (1st issue of the Zion’s Watch Tower) until 1943, the Society taught something biblically incorrect/false!

Think about it….for 64 long years!

Always ready to help you, receive my sincere greetings

Your friend

James C. MacHislopp

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°end of the email °°°°°°°°°°

I do hope that I’ve not upset nor bored anyone ..with the above material.

Greetings to all,

JC MacHislopp

P.S. For ayone interested complete research on the year 1874 vs the year 1914

see

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/topic/60475/1874-v-1914-date-change-masterpiece-forgery-deception

Part One

and

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/topic/60653/1874-v-1914-date-change-masterpiece-part-two

and

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/topic/60836/1874-v-1914-date-change-masterpiece-part-three

• nicolaou
    nicolaou
    Whoa! Nice to see you again after so long, hope your recovery continues Mac'. This isn't the type of topic that interests me much, just wanted to say 'Welcome back'.
  • Phizzy
    Phizzy

Dear MacHislopp, I echo what Nic says above. Welcome back !

It seems to me that Jesus' 2nd presence did not occur when his followers expected in the 1st Century, or at any time afterward, and will not occur, because the Carpenter from Nazareth died, and remains dead forever.

There are a number of things that the WT/JW's taught in error for many years, but of course the really silly one is that they were supposedly appointed as the FDS in 1919 but did not realize it, or teach it, for decades. WTF ?

A a guy said who looked briefly into the claims of the WT/JW religion when I was in it, he was asked why he had rejected it, : " it is all so very, very silly".

• tim3l0rd
    tim3l0rd
    Quote :
    11 Upon recognizing that Christ’s presence began in 1914, Jesus’ followers rightly prepared for a possible early arrival of the end.

I tried pointing this out to my wife recently. She responded that the sentence didn't say when they recognized that Christ's presence began in 1914. Even though this sentence would probably mislead someone to think that they recognized Christ's presence began prior to 1914, it is technically not saying that the recognized this prior to 1914. You could say that they when they realized it in 1943 they started preparing...

I don't agree with the above, but wanted to give insight into how a JW mind thinks.

• cha ching
    cha ching

Thank you MacHislopp!

I think people SHOULD be able to defend "truths", and if the WT claims to be the way of salvation for ... millions of people" they should be willing to submit to scrutiny and criticism.

All who criticize have the obligation to be truthful in presenting the facts and fair and objective inassessing such

It always bothered me too when the "Society" would say terrible things about any other religion,institution, any ANYthing that "criticizes or scrutinizes" them, or that was "incorrect"!

Also, in the Watchtower issue of July 15, 1949 (page 215, paragraph 22), the statement is made:

“ . . . Messiah, the Son of man, came into Kingdom power A.D. 1914 and . . . this constitutes his second coming and the beginning of his second parousía or presence.”

Q. 55. (a) When and how was the insertion of 100 years into the period of the Judges done away with, so that 6,000 years of man’s existence ended when?

(b) How did this affect the date 1874 C.E., and what question arose? This is a question from the WT, very direct! This is what they do when they change something.... like "What does a generation mean NOW?"

I was a teenager, in the 70's when a couple of these books were studied, and very busy with highschool, homework, etc.... Then, when these books were studied again and again, I was a wife, mother, busy on my little hamster wheel: "studying for meetings, writing talks, going in service every weekend.."

It was hard to even get the materials together to just 'write a talk.' I remember having WT's and AW's all over the kitchen table, scouring paragraphs for subjects that related to my "theme".

No CD-Roms... no internet, no computer. Even with these things (that I totally LOVE) it takes time to do the research.

Thank you AGAIN MacHislopp!

cha ching!

• NVR2L8
    NVR2L8
    Thank you and welcome back!
  • Zoos
    Zoos

Marked

• leaving_quietly
    leaving_quietly
    Marked for later reading...
  • blondie
    blondie

Hi Mac

I missed you; sorry to hear about your illness.

I changed my avatar. Do you like the pink hair?

• MacHislopp
    MacHislopp

Hello again to everyone,

Nicolau, many thanks or your greetings.

Phizzy

There are a number of things that the WT/JW's taught in error for many years”

Really so, ..it is offensive to the human intellect!

tim3l0rd Thanks for your comments.

I would like to add :

· 11 Upon recognizing that Christ’s presence began in 1914, Jesus’ followers rightlyprepared for a possible early arrival of the end.

· The Watchtower August 15th , 2015 page 16.par 11

·

Since the proven facts show that that Pastor C.T. Russell and all the Bible Students for decades prepared themselves and taught to the world the the END would come in the year 1914, imho to mask,and to make less obvious the truth of past events, the Society’s Governing Body preferred to phrase themselves in a truly ambiguous way.

Cha Cing

Thanks for you appreciative comment.

I do understand you. It is all ever-changing and confusing .

To search you also need time, tools, patience and a motivation

(for example exposing incorrect, unscriptural claims , lies etc, etc).

NVR2L8 , ZOOS and leaving- quietly Thanks for your greetings

blondie Many thanks for your concern. As I wrote I’m getting better. I also missed your comments and not participating more to the board, which has expanded greatly and acquired so many new….posters and their keen observations and providing also vital …inside informations.(a thousands thanks to Atlantis & Co) By the way again to I do like you new avatar…It makes you look better!

Greetings to all

JC MacHislopp

*** Awake ! August 22nd 1984 page 28 From Our Readers ***

“…claims to be the way of salvation .Any organization that assumes that position should be willing to submit to scrutiny and criticism.”

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit