COLONIALISTS

by RAYZORBLADE 7 Replies latest social humour

• RAYZORBLADE
    RAYZORBLADE

OK, some of us...erm, most of us here, are of some sort of 'colonialist' extraction.

That being said, those of us, of the 'Commonwealth' persuasion, do you have any comments or perceptions of your fellow *colonialist* nation neighbour?

Rayzorblade is here in Canada, no surprise.

As far as my personal affinity towards Great Britain: zero. Do not take offense.

But, that being said, I look towards some of my other Commonwealth neighbour nations: Australia, New Zealand, Belize, Malaysia, Singapore, and many other nations I did not mention; how do you feel as a so-called: colonialist ?

Just wonderin'?

Any colonialist thoughts??

Personally, it's interesting, but for me, as much as I love Aussies, I find an affinity for Kiwis. I guess comparitively when I think of how folks view Canadians compared to Americans; thus Aussies with Kiwis (New Zealanders).

Dunno.....

...just wonderin', "how bizarre"

• Sargon
    Sargon

Personally I don't think about the other 'colonies' too much. Wasn't Australia a penal colony?

• jgnat
    jgnat

Our American brothers are a lot like us. Our history lessons are different, though. There are proud loyalists in my family tree. But I think the Americans have another name for them....

• Special K
    Special K

Your right Jgnat......history books in different countries sure paint different pictures sometimes.

sincerely

Special K .

• shotgun
    shotgun

I did not know Australia was a penile colony?

And I bet you like kiwi's because they're all fuzzy on the outside?

I tend to compare myself more to scandinavian countries..maybe it's the climate's.

• Golf
    Golf

RB. You may want to check out the book, "The Struggle For The Border" by Bruce Hutchinson. The book was written from a Canadian standpoint.

Guest 77

• Zoewrex
    Zoewrex

1732 the state of Georgia was a penal Colony. Good thread and am courious to see what others write.

• Sargon
    Sargon

jgnat has good point about loyalist roots. The only hereditary title bestowed by the English Crown outside of the British Isles is the title UEL. United Empire Loyalists are the descendants of those who lost property or limb for remaining loyal to the crown during the American revolution. Many of those people settled in the part of Canada I live in and still cling proudly to that title. They print a magazine called the Loyalist, and meet at events like annual picnics and festivals celebrating their heritage. I'm not sure what our friends south of the border call the Loyalists but I'm sure it's not very flattering.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit