Phillip K. Dick

by Valis 12 Replies latest social entertainment

• Valis
    Valis

Anyone else a fan? My favorites are...

Valis, of course! and suggested reading to all my Christian friends..

Ubik, truth in a can

A Scanner Darkly..one I need to reread

and then some of you movie folks might know including

Blade Runner (Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep)

Minority Report

Total Recall

He was an early pulp fiction writer and to make enough money (got paid by the word) he started taking methamphetamines, which eventually made him a very paranoid man and IMO shaped a lot of his later writings...

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• minimus
    minimus

Is he related to Dick Hertz who was always asked, "Do you have any gum on ya, Dick"?

• Valis
    Valis

No dot head...

• Satanus
    Satanus

He's unforgettable, although, after 20 yrs, i have forgotten a few of his books. As well, the fact that so many of his books have been turned into super movies says a lot. While runner was a great movie, the original book was even better in some ideas that it contained. The infinite survillance, for instance. At one point the dekker goes of somewhere, and finds hills of speck sized survillance robots.

Three stigmata of palmer eldritch was a mind bender. I'ld like to see a movie based on it. Done well, it could be comparable to a drug, imo.

SS

• Valis
    Valis

SS...if you ever go on a road trip Do Androids is a great listen on tape.

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• Satanus
    Satanus

Didn't know it was available in audio. Will look for it. Is it the book text, or movie text?

SS

• Valis
    Valis

The book..

• PopeOfEruke
    PopeOfEruke

Hi Valis

never a great fan though I did really enjoy Ubik. I read the collaberation with Roger Zelazny, I think it was called Deus Irae. I recall that I didn't like it at the time, maybe I should revisit it - its been ages....

What about Philip Jose Farmer? do you like him??

Pope

• Valis
    Valis

Pope...ya I always liked the Doc Savage stuff..

SIncerely,

District Overbeer

• MegaDude
    MegaDude

Valis,

I think the Philip K. Dick's life was as interesting as his novels. I recommend the autobiography "Divine Invasions: A Life of Philip K. Dick."

He was a searcher looking for the answer to the riddle of reality.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit