Ozzie's Weekend Poll #82

by ozziepost 19 Replies latest jw friends

• mustang
    mustang

My #12: (I could do several, as I pIONEERED & was an MS equivalent, before MS's existed)

And the winner is: a CO & I got "picked up" by the Police for violation of the City Ordinance regarding registering and getting a Salemans License. The PO (a relative of mine) showed up shortly. I remember keeping the cops busy and glancing over my shoulder to note the CO & the PO searching through their briefcases. They came up with some legal references about the time a Police Supervisor showed up. The Police really got into this and the City Attorney was called. This was all set to be a "Test Case", but a few phone calls next week and it fizzled

It happened once more (different CO visit; why me? pIONEERING I suppose), but this time they took us to City Hall, talked to us and dropped us off back where they found us

Would I do it again? Hell NO, I won't GO

Mustang

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

How about trying to a Tuesday afternoon off from work so that I could meet the C/O and discuss the Cong Record Cards. I was Secretary.

Extra long elders meetings and meetings with elders and Min servants. These at one time were spontanaeous but later on became tightly scripted by a Societies outline - and deadly boring.

• Sassy
    Sassy

12 (other)...

it is an extention from #3.. the way the elders were so setting up a good face.. loving.. stopping and saying welcome to you even though at the other meetings they could have cared less.. it was all a fake.. a pretense to get a good report.. it wasn't abou the people or you would have seen it year round..

• blondie
    blondie

All of the above except the 8:30 time but it was earlier than normal.

Refreshing good time was said but not true

I do remember that the CO for the most part was a better speaker and gave talks on subjects that we hadn't heard 30 times. In the olden days he used to tell the congregation what they needed to "work on." That was fun. Now they chastise the elders in private. I liked new things learned because I prepared. Teacher's pet, that was me. They don't make COs like they used to.

Blondie

• pr_capone
    pr_capone

1. Everyone was on their best behaviour.
    2. Even the irregular meeting attenders showed up!
    3. The elders gave a lot of comments in the meetings.
    4. All the ?try hards? were making themselves heard.
    5. More meetings.
    6. Longer meetings.
    7. We had to go out in field service!
    8. Field service was at 8:30 in the morning!!
    9. Rushed meetings.
    10. Hard work!
    11. Other - ducking the elders right before the visit so we wouldnt have to take them on our return visits or out to lunch.

Kansas District Overbeer

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

What do you remember most about the circuit overseer?s visit?

1. Everyone was on their best behaviour.
    2. Even the irregular meeting attenders showed up!
    3. The elders gave a lot of comments in the meetings.
    4. All the ?try hards? were making themselves heard.
    5. More meetings.
    6. Longer meetings.
    7. A spiritually refreshing time. (Who said that??)
    8. We had to go out in field service! (We always had to do that)
    9. Field service was at 8:30 in the morning!! (yup)
    10. Rushed meetings.
    11. Hard work! (cleaning)
    12. Other (please detail) (lunches) (elder husband was always gone to another meeting leaving me alone with two kids) (far too many reminders to be a good example to others)
  • gumby
    gumby
    Here in Oz we?re enjoying the summer heat with blue skies and light breezes. Temperatures are in the high 30s Celsius so it?s time for swimming, bbqs, and flies!

First, I want to say your trying to make me "covet"(see Exodus 20:17b) your weather over there you baaaaaaaaaaastard!!!!

You took away all the fun in this survey and named all the good choices. I disagree with those who picked 7.

I was a spiritual junkie and I liked the CO's visit. I was a little more afraid being on the platform during his visit since the visit is for the purpose of being critical of any needed adjustments.

Since I lived 16 years of my life in Arizona in a little town.........the CO's visit was better than watching two roadrunners humpin.

Gumby

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

Dawn:

I would much rather enjoy a glass of wine kicked back in comfy clothes with a few of the posters here!

Oh yes! How right you are! You're talking of a good shiraz of course!

Gumby:

Since I lived 16 years of my life in Arizona in a little town.........the CO's visit was better than watching two roadrunners humpin.

You may not think so, but I do know what you mean!! At one time we were on a farm in a small bush town and the C.O. visit for us was a kind of highlight, something different from the usual slow routine.

Now about this weather, mate. Today was bloody hot - the missus and I drove to the coast to take in the sea-breeze. We're now in the low 40s - that's centigrade!!!!

Now where's the shiraz??

Cheers, Ozzie

• simplesally
    simplesally

I hated that the brothers got these supershort haircuts and that all the people who never came to meeting were suddenly there. I would sometimes think, "Well, its good they came, maybe they'll come more often." But there quite a few who only came to assemblies, the Memorial and CO visits.......... so it was their habit. Now my thinking about it is that why should they bother...........just leave. Their lifestyle indicates they don't want to be JWs......so in my mind, they are hypocrites too, just like the elders. I guess they are just fading over a looooooooong period of time??????/

• gumby
    gumby
    I hated that the brothers got these supershort haircuts and that all the people who never came to meeting were suddenly there.

LOL Simplesally,

It must have made the C.O. sick to his stomach to see all this pseudo behavior. I wonder if the Apostles cut their hair when they heard Paul was paying them a visit?

Gumby

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit