A "Bloody" Question -- Hospital bound...!

by Rabbit 19 Replies latest watchtower medical

• little witch
    little witch

Thankyou Rabbit

It is your decision. your life, your health. I encourage you to be in control of it, it is yours.

I do hope your surgery and recovery goes well, keep us informed wont you?

• Sam Beli
    Sam Beli

Transplants became okay in 1980. You can confirm that here: http://quotes.jehovahswitnesses.com/

Look under "Organ Transplants

Also look under "Blood," etc.

Another site worth looking at is WWW.AJWRB.org/

Good Luck,

Sam

• Sentinel
    Sentinel

In reading all this information, I am quite dumbfounded learning that the JW's decided that "organ transplanting" was okay back in '80. In the best of my memory, I don't recall this change. But then, I was nearly out the door for good at that time.

Anyway, how in the world can a JW get an organ transplant "without" blood? ...especially back in the '80's. We are just now, in the past twenty years, learning about how blood substitutes are acceptable. Organs hold blood, right? I mean, if you drained all the blood from them, they would wither and not be usuable, right? I'm thinking about the heart, the liver, etc. Just some lingering questions here.

I'm not concerned, because I will just do what my heart tells me, if and when I'm ever presented with a medical concern that might require a transfusion. No use to worry needlessly. Even after I left the JW's, for the longest time, I still thought it was rather "gross" to consider putting someone else's blood in my body. Since then, my opinion has changed. I even donate blood myself now. The Blood Banks have so many safety precautions in place--and even moreso now, with the HIV virus peaking in the 80's. One does what one must do in order to continue living. Doctors can do a good job when they don't have the additional worry of the "blood issue" to consider.

Rabbit, I certainly hope your surgery goes well. I will be thinking of you.

/<

• MacHislopp
    MacHislopp

Hello Rabbit,

first of all I do wish you all the best for your incoming surgery,

and since many of the board have already given to you a wealth of

updated informations, please allow me to give you a link to

" University of Pennsylvania Health System" where you willk

find the 'Jehovah's Witnesses Position overviw in a form of a very

clear chat which defines the actual position of JW's relatinng

to which technique is clearly:

acceptable/personal decision / forbidden

Here is the link:

http://pennhealth.com/health_info/bloodless/blood _jchart.html

Greetings, J.C.MacHislopp

• MacHislopp
    MacHislopp

Hello Rabbit,

It is me again.

I'm sorry for the mistakes in my message.

Here they are:

***willk instead of WILL

***overviv instead of OVERVIEW

***chat insted of CHART

Greetings, J.C. MacHislopp

• galaxy7
    galaxy7

The Doctors can do alot without blood these days

I had open heart surgurey last year with no blood

I just told my doctor try not to use blood but if I need it go for it.

Dont die for the Watchtower society

• Rabbit
    Rabbit

Hey everybody!

They moved my back surgery from mid-March -- to the middle of this week ! Surprise, surprise...!

Thank all of you for all the great info, links and thoughts about this issue. It is I think, the most pervasive, destructive belief all of us JW's once had. The second being -- shunning.

I say 'had', because tho' I've been thinking about this for a while...I've made a very big decision. If it comes down to me needing a blood transfusion -- I said, OK. W h e w ! After 35 years of believing and fighting for the WTS theory, I said, "Enough." I felt very embarassed talking to the R.N. during Pre-Op, when asked about 'religious preferences' I said, "Well...it's been a JW, but, I've decided to take blood any way, if my life is in danger. She said something very interesting..."don't be embarassed...A LOT of JW's say OK to blood!" "Really,?" I said. Then we got into a good discussion about the bible. We talked about 'eating or abstaining' from blood and agreed it was referring to animal blood. She did NOT know that a JW would be DF'd if they accepted blood and said, "Well, that's not right..."

I told her then, I wanted to somehow keep this confidential and if any inquires were made from any JW family, elders, etc. or anyone...except my wife and my father, no info was to be given out. If a tranfusion was taking place -- no one else will be allowed in the room. When the Doc comes out to talk to the family -- y'all know how that is...JW's will step up to the plate to question him, just to make sure 'he did the right thing'. As you know I am trying to 'stay-under-the JW-radar' for the time being and do not want to cause anymore problems for myself and my family, I want to f a d e...quietly and take some of them with me by example.

I wish I had had this surgery long ago, but, now I've got one of the best surgeons anywhere, so wish me good luck!

Someone asked in a post one time, 'Does this forum really help anyone?' (or similar), yes, I have been struggling with several issues and situations for awhile now and have received such a good broad spectrum of ideas and opinions from so many -- that have a common history and roots, that I CAN see clearly the answers to a lot of them. On this BLOOD issue, I don't think I would have been able to be where I am now if not for the people on this board.

So-o, I guess y'all have officially corrupted me now, huh?

Sentinal said:

I'm not concerned, because I will just do what my heart tells me, if and when I'm ever presented with a medical concern that might require a transfusion. No use to worry needlessly. Even after I left the JW's, for the longest time, I still thought it was rather "gross" to consider putting someone else's blood in my body. Since then, my opinion has changed

Thanks to everyone who wrote me about this!

~ Lee ~

• seeitallclearlynow
    seeitallclearlynow

Congratulations on your decision, Rabbit, and your peace of mind, and the VERY VERY best hopes for a successful surgery!

• Rabbit
    Rabbit

Thanks SeeClearly,

This has been a long time coming, the surgery and the blood issue.

Anyone have any experiences of relatives reactions to blood transfusions with circumstances like mine ?

Thanks, Lee

• Rabbit

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit