Power of the Mind?

by Frannie Banannie 31 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Sneaky Russian
    Sneaky Russian

I have heard it said that many paranormal experiences are the product of the subconscious mind. If you really believe that something is the case, like Jehovah's Witnesses believe that spirits are out to get them and Satan is always looking for a new convert, then you are bound to fear the unknown, and believe that these things really exist.

Its not real, but your mind makes it real.

• Sirona
    Sirona
    then you are bound to fear the unknown,

SR - not necessarily. Belief in spirits for instance doesn't always have to be about fear.

your mind makes it real.

Are you quoting Morpheus here?

Sirona

• Satanus
    Satanus

Flying

So, what was the scarey book called. I wanna read it

SS

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Flying

So, what was the scarey book called. I wanna read it

SS

I have looked, a limited amount, for the same book but have not found it. I can't recall the exact title of it but I thought it was Out Of Body Experience. Now there are a few books with similar titles. I read part of this book in 1975.

The reason the book was so scary was it was very convincing and it made you scared it would happen to you. Then you would not make it back to your body and the silver cord connecting soul with body would somehow get severed and your body die.

If you read any books like this and you come across a part where the author has an OOBE during a nap, goes down the road, sees his neighbor passing out large white cards on the patio, then finds out later his neighbor was actually handing out mail, then you've got the right book! Maybe all those books are scary. Let me know if you read one and it scares you.

I'll let you know if I find the title to the book.

Heather

• Pleasuredome
    Pleasuredome
    it seems paranormal or spiritual experiences (even my own) are the products of what we've been led to believe

everything is a product of what we are conditioned to believe.

• Satanus
    Satanus

Thanks heather

Actually i have read a few books on obe. Robert monroe wrote 3 books, the earliest may have been in the sixties, one in the seventies. He claims to have gone so far and for so long that his body's temperature went down dangerously low. It took him a while to warm up, when he got back.

SS

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow
    He claims to have gone so far and for so long that his body's temperature went down dangerously low. It took him a while to warm up, when he got back.

See, Saint Satan, scary stuff. At least to me it is.

Before I studied with JWs at the age of 17, I spent about three years reading about Eastern philosophies, doing astrology and reading this kind of thing. It brought me little comfort when my oldest brother was killed when I was 17 and he was 22. He was into all this but had been reformulating his beliefs. I looked up to him and so when he died I was very confused. I had always felt like John Lennon did in his song Imagine. Though I had lost any faith in the Bible, the JWs explanation of Psalm 37 and Matthew 6:9&10 eventually seemed to make sense. Now, they have sort of poisoned my mind about this other stuff. I don't know what to believe anymore but in love.

Heather

• Satanus
    Satanus

Flying

I believe that we don't need to believe in anything.

Actually i tried obeing a little bit. Couldn't do it, so i gave up. From what i read about it, people who could do it aren't in danger, to speak of. If anything happens, they automatically snap back. One person i know, was doing the eckankar exercises. He managed by accident, he says, to go obe. He flew over the city of montreal. To be somewhere, he just needed to imagine it, and he was there.

Bruce moen, in his books and seminar courses, teaches what he calls a phase shift. This is without exiting, but gets some of the same results. This may be going along w the holographic theory. In this theory, as in a regular hologram, each fragment has a copy of the whole. Theoretically then, we may each of us have a copy of everything that exists. Theoretically, we could access everything through internal meditational techniques.

I have only skimmed the surface in my exploration, so i can't say that the above forms a belief system for me, just possibilities. Some things, though experienced can be ignored/denied, like many people suppress pain, guilt, intuitions, instincts, etc.

SS

• one_ugly_time
    one_ugly_time

Frannie --

I can't really comment on NDE or OBE, since that would require me to put into words the pictures I saw and the feelings my body experienced... I am unable to do that...

My point really is... Thoughts don't require language... we seem to think that they do, because of our social nature and our desire to share and be validated as individuals... In the end, however, it becomes the language we use that really describes externally how we think and feel...

I could tell you that my healing path has taken me down some pretty windy roads recently... quite a few lefts and rights, feeling like I was steering through pylons, then a couple of large NASCAR style turns and headed the other direction for a while... at one point I came to a hair-pin curve at maybe 90 miles an hour, slammed on my emotional brakes as hard as I could, and still crashed head in to the wall... I got up, finished navigating the turn, and proceeded to ramp my speed back up to the desired 90 miles per hour... I haven't crashed again lately, but now I watch just a little further out then when I go just 10 miles an hour...

Or, I could tell you that I am depressed and can't find a place in the world. Everytime I turn around, something hits me upside the head and I don't know what to do, other than try again. The emotional pain is killing me. I just want to run as fast as I can and escape it all. I keep watching for the signs that something is going to go wrong, but I never see them in time. I'm really, really tired of all this crap but I know I will make it through it.

They both describe where I am in life... which version of this story allowed you to process your own feelings and which version was asking for advice or sympathy?

After taking the walks I have taken, I would recommend studying your primary language and the models of communication you use... By looking closely, consciously at your own THOUGHT process... which for me usually occurs after I open my mouth... you can begin changing... your thought process will change your interaction with others (as you will begin to eliminate negative reactions, just because they are not in your nature), which in turn will change behaviors... you soon discover all those wonder paths you want to go down, just to see whats down there... you can always turn around and go another direction...

It's a path I find rewarding. More rewarding everyday.

ugly

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie
    I would recommend studying your primary language and the models of communication you use... By looking closely, consciously at your own THOUGHT process... which for me usually occurs after I open my mouth... you can begin changing... your thought process will change your interaction with others (as you will begin to eliminate negative reactions, just because they are not in your nature), which in turn will change behaviors... you soon discover all those wonder paths you want to go down, just to see whats down there... you can always turn around and go another direction...

oneuglytime, I already know my own thoughts are hypercritical and negative because of all the crapola I've had to deal with and am dealing with on my life's path.....I just don't seem to be able to find the personal "space" to explore ways to change my thought processes.....I don't know how to do this....everything and everyone around me seems to add to the negativity in my life and I am inundated with it constantly.....How can I turn this "lemon tree" into sweet refreshing lemonade? I feel it's all I can do to put on a happy face and keep on keepin' on, while I just barely tread water....

Frannie B

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit