Kennewick Man Retained

by Satanus 14 Replies latest social current

• Satanus
    Satanus

A US appeals court has given permission to scientists to study a 9,000-year-old skeleton

Appeal judges ruled it was impossible to establish a relationship between the Indian tribes and "Kennewick Man".

Like other early Americans, "Kennewick Man" has a longer, narrower skull than is typical of present-day people.

Scientists want to know if this is because early settlers were replaced by ancestors of modern Native Americans, or if the differences are the result of evolutionary processes.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/3460773.stm

9000 yrs old??? Must be a mistake. Ain't science wonnerful?

SS

• RunningMan
    RunningMan
    Must be a mistake.

Yeah, Kennewick wasn't founded until 1904, so, like, how could someone be from there 9000 years ago? Did he have a driver's licence dated 6997 BC?

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

He was found in 1996... so I guess he was "Grand Fathered" in.

• Satanus
    Satanus

I find stuff like this interesting because it blows up wt theology, and because it could be evidence of ancient travels and influence by white people.

Running

Must be a mistake.

I had slipped into considering the response this would get from a watchtower adherent. I think they called the skeleton kennewick because of a town near which it was found.

And yes, it was his drivers liscence that enabled scientists to date the skeleton. Ruins of his flintstone car were later found nearby. Traces of alchohal were found in a petrified animal skin.

SS

• RunningMan
    RunningMan

I pointed out something similar to my wife, a week or two ago. A headline in our daily paper pointed out that the following day was Chinese New Year - 4701. I asked her how the Chinese survived under water, since Noah's flood occured 327 after the founding of China.

Just another error, I guess. Those abbacusses (abbacii ?) must not work very well.

• seedy3
    seedy3

Some of the other suspicions of this personis that he may have been one of the first Caucasions in the americas. They can only specualte how he got here, but suspect that he may have come from Japan. Japan that long ago was settled by a race of whites, and then the aisians came to settle there and interbred with them. There is still a group of original caucasions on some of the islands in Japan I have been told. But most of this is specualtion. The Native Americans have been up in arms about this ever since they found out how old he was. But so far it has been shown that he most likely was not related to them at all. This should be interesting.

There is also a group (Village) found in Florida that has many bodies buried in the bog that hass been shown to have lived around 6,000 years ago (if memeory serves me correctly). I find it strange, that if mankind is only 6,000 years old, how the hell did they get there start a village and have a whole culture set up by then??.

Seedy

• Satanus
    Satanus

Seedy

The movements of prehistoric caucasians is an interesting subject. Research has uncovered their cultural influences in the ukrain and northen china. The ukrain was pointed to as the place where the wheel was invented by caucasians. These areas, together w the northern japanese islands show a general movement pattern. From japan, it would be fairly easy to sail to west coast america.

There is still arguing about caucasian influence in ancient india. Some people, including a scientist or two, entertain the theory that thay came out of india, instead of africa. No doubt studies of ancient civilizational movements are far from complete, but finds like kennewick man help those studies. It's fortunate that scientists will likely be able to keep it for research.

SS

• asleif_dufansdottir
    asleif_dufansdottir

This decision was really important, and its importance is missed by a lot of people who don't understand the implications of NAGPRA (Native American Graves Protection and Repatriation Act).

The act's wording was, in some people's opinion, sloppy.

It was done in response to the fact that Native Americans thought the remains of their ancestors were not being accorded appropriate respect. In many cases they were right. In one example, a highway crew came across a 'pioneer era' cemetary. The bodies of the whites were reburied in another cemetary. The bodies of a Native American woman and her child were sent somewhere for study.

Anyway, there was a big political push to strictly regulate the handling of physical remains and grave goods (stuff they were buried with) of native americans. (Side note: archaeologists in general are not as interested in human remains as in the stuff we leave behind). It passed.

What all this has to do with Kennewick man, is that, by legal definition, K.M, being the remains of a person who lived here before the whites arrived, is Native American...even if he is in no way related to the tribes that are here now. Thus, the tribes (who wanted him reburied without being studied) might have had authority over his remains...even though he wasn't one of their ancestors.

This case had huge potential implications for physical and bioarchaeological research in the U.S. We could have lost the right to study the people who were here before the current Native American tribes.

• seedy3
    seedy3

SS,

You mention China, it's interesting that many of the mummies they have found in China are Caucasion, and they shouldn't be there in normal thinking. But they are. So there is much specualtion as to how and why they were there. One other initeresting point is they have found artwork in S. America that seems to be based on Chinese culture from a couple 1,000 years ago, that has really only added to the fuel as to how much man traveled, and how long ago, and how the "New World" was settled. One of the biggest problems they are facing is they suspect that because of the time period at the end of the iceage, when the glaciers were starting to recede, the ocean was at a much lower level then it is now, so many of the encampments of that period are now under water, so this may be a question that may never really be answered, unless they can find some of these, the only thing so far they have found is evidence that there are settlements under water, around the americas, but to find any artifacts intact is going to be tough, it's not like you can do a dig in them like on land.

Seedy

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32

I live in Kennewick... this 9,000 year old skeleton put our city on the map!

http://www.kennewick-man.com/

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit