Birthday

by TheFadingAlbatros 6 Replies latest social family

• TheFadingAlbatros
    TheFadingAlbatros

Since when does the organization of Jehovah's Witnesses prohibit the celebration of birthdays? And who in particular has officially imposed such an interdiction within this organization? This prohibition has no biblical foundation, but plays a vital role in separating families, making non-JWs out to be idolaters in the eyes of JWs..

• Giordano
    Giordano

From jwfacts.com

https://www.jwfacts.com/watchtower/celebrations.php

God's Kingdom Rules! makes it appear that birthdays were identified as unacceptable in 1936, by quoting from The Golden Age of that year.

""There are but two such celebrations mentioned in the Scriptures, one of the heathen king Pharaoh of Egypt, in the days of Joseph, and the other of [Herod,] whose birthday cost John the Baptist his life. In the Bible there is no instance of celebrations of birthdays by any of God’s people."—The Golden Age, May 6, 1936, page 499." God's Kingdom Rules! (2014) p.105

In reality, birthdays continued being celebrated until 1951. In 1940, the following experience shows birthdays were still considered appropriate.

"Pardon me for intruding on your precious time, but I just can't help letting you know how much I appreciate the phonograph which came to me on the morning after the 8th, which was my 80th birthday. It was indeed a birthday gift from Jehovah, to be used in proclaiming his name. May grace and strength be given me to do with my might what my hands find to do." Watchtower 1940 Jan 1 p.16

In 1951, that the Watchtower stated the Witnesses were no longer to celebrate birthdays.

"Is it proper to have or attend celebrations of birthday anniversaries?-F. K., Nevada.
    Such celebrations have their roots in pagan religions, and not Scriptural grounds. Some Bible commentators suggest that birthday celebrations may have had their origin in the "notion of the immortality of the soul"." Watchtower 1951 Oct 1 p.607 Questions from Readers

There is nothing unscriptural about celebrating birthdays. (See Birthdays for detailed information on why the Watchtower ruling against birthdays is wrong.) Most Witnesses struggle to explain why they can't without some embarrassment at the shallow reasoning used. Romans 14:5-6 advises not to judge others and their celebrations:

"One indeed judges a day above another; and another one judges every day alike, Let each one be fully assured in his own mind. The one minding the day, he minds it to the Lord. And the one not minding the day, he does not mind it to the Lord. The one eating, he eats to the Lord; for he give thanks to God. And the one not eating, he does not eat to the Lord, and gives thanks to God."
  • Xanthippe
    Xanthippe
    This prohibition has no biblical foundation, but plays a vital role in separating families, making non-JWs out to be idolaters in the eyes of JWs..

You nailed it FadingAlbatros. That's the name of the game. It's the same with all the crazy teachings about holidays, separate people from their families, friends and entire support system. Then they have to make the JWs their support and can never leave. It's a cult.

• truth_b_known
    truth_b_known

The birthday prohibition is an example of a Jehovah's Witness dogma. There is no prohibition found anywhere in the Bible. It is a drawing to a conclusion based on a subjective opinion with the goal to look different.

When Rutherford completed him hostile takeover of Russell's organization he wanted to make sure there was a clear division between those in his organization and those who were not. This is one example.

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister
    Pardon me for intruding on your precious time, but I just can't help letting you know how much I appreciate the phonograph which came to me on the morning after the 8th, which was my 80th birthday. It was indeed a birthday gift from Jehovah,

I Cant help but notice the sycophantic, grovelling tone publishers took with Bethel "company managers" even back in the 40s. The overall impression is that of a lowly member, with a low opinion of him or herself, and that even at their long age they had no sense of dignity or self-worth, given that they were effectively selling company books without pay

I just wonder when this attitude of over-the-top deferrence crept in?

• Giordano
    Giordano

https://www.google.com/search?q=Bethel+family+celebrating+Christmas&rlz=1C1OPRB_enUS531US5

Image result for Bethel family celebrating Christmas

The Bethel family celebrating their last Christmas in 1926, Richard H. Barber is circled

• steve2
    steve2

Virtually every argument JWs parrot to defend their no birthday celebrations doctrine can be used against wedding anniversary celebrations which JWs enjoy.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit