Holidays have no meaning whatsoever - Perhaps because of JW upbringing?!

by Doubtfully Yours 13 Replies latest jw friends

• blondie
    blondie

If you have no past with XMas, then build one or share someone else's. Make Christmas a happy day for someone who has little or nothing. Get involved in programs that help the poor and lonely. Build personal and family traditions. Many people have sad experiences because of growing up in abusive and/or alcoholic families. They have more than no memories, but bad, very bad memories. They learn to replace the bad with the good with their own children and themselves.

Recapture the child within yourself.

Blondie (been there, still finding that child)

• Sirona
    Sirona

I understand, and I think that its easier if you are part of another religion which makes something of the holidays.

I'm pagan, so my holidays are very meaningful, and its just helpful that they coincide with the Christian holidays (we know why of course!). Check out the pagan wheel of the year - it gives much more depth to the times of the year that christians observe, and more besides. The festivals all have a personal theme. There are 8 sabbats per year (yes, it is not just a coincidence that the word Sabbat(h) is used) just this week we've had a pagan festival (Imbolc) which I'll be celebrating on Saturday.

Blessed be!

Sirona

• pc
    pc

I too have felt the same as everyone else here. Even though I've been celebrating holidays since my kids were born(about 12 years). This year is was so different. After finding this website and reading COC and other books I felt no longer guilty. I have started traditions with my family and hopefully they will carry them to theirs. The main thing I found is to do something in the community to help others. I remember my mom always saying things like" so they give a family food for Christmas and then nothing for the rest of the year" or " everyone I speak with say's you have the right idea, I can't wait till it's all over". I found it very different. We got involved with a program and gave food to a family who needed some help. MY kids helped and we bought some gifts for the family and felt great. Something is better than nothing in my book. That's the problem with JW's, they do NOTHING for anyone. They are the least charitible organization out there. PC

• dawn27
    dawn27

I did not study with the JW's until I was 13 yrs old, so for me it brings back alot of happy childhood memories. It is also a sad time of year for me though, because it makes me realize how much my family has changed since becoming involved with the borg. Where I got together with both sides of my family as a child, now it is just my husband and I and we have to keep very low-key and not "offend" anyone.. I sure miss the innocence and beauty of celebrating as a child without all of the pressure and family baggage.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit