I'm not religious I'm spiritual?

by Joliette 10 Replies latest jw friends

• Joliette
    Joliette

How do you guys feel when you hear people say this? Whenever I tell people that I'm not religious, a humanist, they said I'm not religious either, I'm spiritual.

What does that even mean?

I consider myself to be a humanist, and I can't tell you guys HOW HAPPY I am being a humanist. I wish I had became one when I was a kid. I thought I believed in the spiritual world when I was a kid, but now that I'm older I'm starting to realize that the spiritual world doesn't exist. I wish I had realized this when I was younger, but it took me to experience things as an adult to realize that there isn't a spiritual world. Well, to me, there isn't one. If people believe in it, if it makes them more comfortable at night, then by all means, believe in a spiritual world, just don't force that on me!

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

The trouble is that the word "spiritual" means different things to different people.

I'm an atheist, but consider myself spiritual. Although I am hesitant to use that word with most people because they usually mean all kinds of woo.

You might enjoy Sam Harris' recent book:

Waking Up: A Guide to Spirituality Without Religion

• nicolaou
  • Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

People like to pigeonhole you, categorise you but I am beginning to realise that being a humanist, valuing human beings means realising that we are all so different. I think beautiful scenery, sunsets, starry nights, crashing ocean waves, art and gorgeous architecture are spiritual. You might think something else is spiritual and that's ok.

We need to be strong enough and have enough self esteem to say I'm this way and you're that way and that's ok. Stop trying to change people. It would be so boring if we were all the same.

• Listener
    Listener
    Xanthippe, you explained spirituality well, that is what I think also but it does mean different things to different people. As for a purely religious person, a good example would be the Pharisees.
  • millie210
    millie210

I have often wondered what people thought/did to address what today is called a "spiritual" side in ancient times. I am talking waaay back when people were basically isolated and traditions had yet to form.

To address the OPs question, I think that statement is like a lot of others...someone said it and it sounded good and so everyone started saying it and now it has very little meaning or at the very least, it is a highly homogenized statement.

• Zoos
    Zoos
    If people believe in it, if it makes them more comfortable at night, then by all means, believe in a spiritual world, just don't force that on me!

Once you remove religion from the equation you automatically arrive at a group of people with no desire to force anything on you. A willingness to share an opinion, answer questions, ASK questions, and respect the beliefs of others, yes.

But the force is no longer with them.

• tornapart
    tornapart

I agree with Oubliette and Xanthippe... to me spirituality is a deep connection with nature, beautiful things, a beautiful piece of music. Something that touches the soul and moves me. It doesn't have to be related to God or a spirit world. Spirituality is very much a personal thing. Religion is something that is forced on people and used to control them. I think they are two very different things.

JWs idea of spirituality is totally wrong. it's all about 'doing', working hard and putting on a show. Someone who goes to all the meetings, pioneers, goes to bethel, underlines their watchtower, answers at all the meetings, gives great talks, does construction work for new KHs etc... is spiritual. I can't think of anything less spiritual!

• Bonsai
    Bonsai
    I consider spirituality to mean self sacrifice. To put aside selfish desires and focus on what one can do for the greater good of humanity and the planet. A spiritual person tries to make the world a little better than it was when he first came into it. I consider myself to be a humanist as well.
  • punkofnice
    punkofnice

Who put the 'ritual' in 'spiritual'?

Personally, I really don't care right now....got other things on my mind. God never helped. Unicorns never helped, but I like them. Politicians never helped. I help myself........nothing dreamy is worth bothering with.

And yes! I am Eeyore!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit