244 worshippers die at Saudi pilgrimage..

by Special K 10 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Special K
    Special K

What I open up in the paper this morning.

244 Worshippers die at Saudi pilgrimage

"A stampede during a stoning ritual at the annual Muslim pilgrimage killed 244 worshippers.

A stampede, during one of the peak events.

Hajj Minister told reporters. "All precautions were taken to prevent such an incident, but this is God's will. Caution isn't stronger than fate, " he said.

The devil-stoning is the most animated ritual of the annual pilgrimage and often the most dangerous. Many pilgrims frantically throw rocks, shout insults or hurl their shoes at the pillars.... acts that are supposed to demonstrate their deep disdain for the devil.

After the sleepless night of prayer following the sermon, pilgrims gathered pebbles to throw at the pillars. Each threw seven times, chanting "in the name of God" and "God is Great".

The stoning ritual also marked the first day of Eid al-Adha, or the Feast of the Sacrifice, celebrated around the Muslim world with the slaughtering of a camel, cow or sheep. Meat is eaten and distributed to the poor.

I was appalled when I read this first thing this morning. Certainly cements in my mind that I'm not going to become a muslim. What is it with these religions? J.W.'s are not the only religion that is warped. There are many others.

I took time to reflect why I took my family out of the J.W.'s...good move.

I also took 15 minutes to read this article to my two older teenagers and discuss the perils of being brain washed into thinking that doing something like this made any sense. Also, told them that they need to listen to their inner heart and mind and critically question things that people tell them or try to teach them.

Children who are raised as J.W.'s have a harder time developing this critical independent thinking. (Speaking about myself) Brainwashing from very young is the worst thing I know of.

I can't tell you how happy I am that I took them out of the J.W.s when they were very young.14 months and 4.

sincerely

Special K

• Special K
    Special K

Oh well, it looks like "Janet's boob".. was more shocking than this..

what can I say.

sincerely

Special K

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

It seems each year people at the Haj are killed by stampede and the reaction is -- oh well they died on pilgramage so they go straight to paradise -- I struggle to come to terms with Islam -- I do so want NOT to be predjudiced but many muslims just have a lack of respect for life -- ah well it is the will of Allah - -well if nothing can happen that Allah does not will, then the wests domination of the world and Islams poor state must also be Allah's will -- they can not have it all ways

• Pleasuredome
    Pleasuredome

yes, every year its the same. you'd have thought they'd become a little superstitious now of throwing stones at a representation of big S.

• Special K
    Special K

Your right stillaxjwelder and Pleasuredom.

Every year the same.

Last year , 14 pilgrims were trampled to death during the ritual and 35 died in a 2001 stampede. In 1998, 180 piligrims died there.

It kind of reminds me of a herd of cows or horses stampeding off a cliff.. they all run off the cliff.

Tragic... There was a massive crowd of about 2 million there for this pilgrimage.

I'm still shaking my head about this one.

sincerely

Special k

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

It is not helped of course by the fact the Saudis could/can not organize an orgy in a Brothel

• Loris
    Loris
    oh well they died on pilgramage so they go straight to paradise --

how different was our attitude in times past when we heard of a non-JW relative dying? Didn't we think it was a good thing? Didn't we think that they had at least gained a spot in Paradise by dying? How many of us found ourselves thinking or wishing that our "worldly" relatives would die before the big A? Our natural feelings were just as screwed up as the Muslims.

Loris

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

how different was our attitude in times past when we heard of a non-JW relative dying? Didn't we think it was a good thing? Didn't we think that they had at least gained a spot in Paradise by dying? How many of us found ourselves thinking or wishing that our "worldly" relatives would die before the big A? Our natural feelings were just as screwed up as the Muslims.

Loris

In fact I remember an elder saying I have some good news -- so and so of the annointed has died and recived theiur heavenly calling and saying it was GOOD NEWS -so yes I see your point

• Special K
    Special K

Loris, you said,

"Our natural feelings were just as screwed up as the Muslims."

Absolutely right, Loris..

There are some really weird belief systems out there. They seem to be bent on screwing up, as you term it, "our natural feelings"..

I wonder if that is what Hitler did to his top followers. Screwed up their natural feeling and humanly instincts?

From my personal experience that is what Jehovahs Witnesses do.. but I am learning there are many others as well.

sincerely

Special K

• aunthill
    aunthill

When my unbelieving parents died, I was happy that they died before the big "A" - so pathetic.

Aunthill

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit