Receipe Request for Beer Bread

by darkuncle29 10 Replies latest jw friends

• darkuncle29
    darkuncle29

Receipe Request for Beer Bread. Like the topic says. I will most likely be using seltzer water instead of beer; the beer I have in the fridge is just too nasty for anything.[Note to self: Never buy unknown brands of beer at WalMart. BTW, WTF were you thinking?!?]

I am also thinking of buying a beer brewing kit-not from WM. Do any of you here have experience with that?

Thanks

• joannadandy
    joannadandy

3 cups flour
    1 tablespoon baking powder
    3 tablespoons sugar
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 bottle (12 ounces) beer, at room temperature
    1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted

Preheat the oven to 375°F. In a mixing bowl, combine all the dry ingredients. Add the beer all at once, mixing as little as possible; the batter should be lumpy.

Pour the batter into a 9-x-5-x-3-inch loaf pan and brush with the melted butter. Bake in the oven for 35 to 40 minutes, or until an inserted skewer comes out clean. Turn out onto a rack to cool.

Makes 1 loaf.
  • Gopher
    Gopher

Forget the "Atkins" diet! This sounds yummy!!!!!!!!!

• darkuncle29
    darkuncle29
    Forget the "Atkins" diet! This sounds yummy!!!!!!!!!

Yep. I'm getting tired of stirfry and other good-for-you things. The Bear is hungry, he's gotta eat. Thanks JoannaDandy! Now I really want to adopt you-as a sister. I'll try this receipe tomorrow.

• peacebaby
    peacebaby

dark uncle - My husband and I have 'brewed at home' for about 4 years now.... The kit we really loved [Canadian Ale] has been discontinued, of course, so we've been trying some others - English Ale is next. No matter what type we've made, it's all good stuff. A bit stronger than boughten, so 1 = 2, more-or-less! It's really simple, little equipment to buy[5 gal. containers, long handled spoon, hygrometer, bottle capper], and a very satisfying DIY project! Some kits have all the ingredients ready to add at the proper time; some kits require cooking and steeping the raw ingredients[barley, hops, different grains, malt...] We've tried both types, and being lazy, prefer the ones you just throw together and wait! Warning - the wait on your first brew can become unbearable! You'll find a lot of information online. We get cases of empty bottles at the liquor store and sanitize them, but you can buy new. If you have any trouble, you can pm me - I've also bottled home-made wine from my own grapes and black raspberries - YUM- hick!- MMMY!

Happy brewing! ----------- Make wine, not war! --------------------------- peacebaby

Another good use for nasty beer - You can cook a big swiss steak in the oven - cover with beer and slice an onion thinly over it - cover and cook at 325 degressF for 3 - 4 hours. It would be a waste of GOOD beer....!

• Sunnygal41
    Sunnygal41

I just heard about this within the last three months...never tried it myself, but, relatives swear by it!!!

Beer Can Chicken

Chef: C F Walton
    Rating:
    Servings: 4 to 5 servings
    Prep. Time: :15
    Total Time: 1:00 to 1:15
    Ingredients: 1 (3 to 4 lb.) frying chicken
    1 can beer
    Kosher salt
    Seasoning, to taste
    Olive oil
    Directions: Wash chicken thoroughly, inside and out. Dry chicken. Salt liberally on inside only. Other favourite herbs and spices may be used as well. Tuck back wings. Rub olive oil all over outside of chicken and season with favourite herbs and spices (no salt). Drink, or pour out about 1/3 to 1/2 of beer.

In shallow foil lined baking dish, stand chicken upright, tail down, with opened can of beer in cavity. Should stand like tripod. Roast at 375°F for 3/4 to 1 hour, works best with convection oven.

Check for doneness, discard beer can and serve.
    Beer Can Chicken
    Yield: 4 to 5 servings

Scale to servings
    Imperial Metric
    Decimal Fraction

Conversion Table
    Translations

Chef's CommentsAbsolutely the best chicken you will ever bake or grill! Exceptionally moist. May be done on BBQ grill. Visitor Comments and ReviewsI'V HEARD OF THIS METHOD AND WANTED TO TRY IT;WHEN I DID,OF COURSE,ICOULDN'T LEAVE WELL ENOUGH ALONE.AFTER DRINKING HALF THE CAN,I OPTED TO ADD SOME FLAVORING TO THE REMAINDER OF THE CAN.I USED FRESH CHOPPED GINGER,ALSO FRESH CHOPPED GARLIC.I ALS TRIED ADDING ABOUT A TABLESPOON OF SOY SAUCE.ON ANOTHER OCCASION,SESAME OIL.FRESH CHOPPED ROSEMARY IS ALSO GREAT.
  • morty
    morty

We do the chicken in a can all the time on the barbque!!

It is the bomb!!!! we never cook a chicken any other way now

We have also done a turkey the same way, except we used a king size can of beer...( legs and wings must be tied)

*Note* Do not drink the left over beer in the can

• darkuncle29
    darkuncle29

The Beer Bread turned out well. Very rich.

The Chicken idea is interesting. I may try the steak one in a day or so.

My dad and bro came over for sunday supper. They have been wanting spare ribs and saur kraut for a while, they can't seem to make it come out like they like. My mom also made a raspberry pie.

So, after eating all this, I am stuffed and bloated like a dead carp.

Thanks for your suggestions.

• RAYZORBLADE
    RAYZORBLADE

I dunno about you, but I think we should all head over to "Dark Uncle's" place, eh?

Sounds like a smorgasbord in east Washington: Interstate 90 is lookin' good right about now.

• darkuncle29
    darkuncle29

Only if you will help with the dishes. [I hate doing dishes.]

I'd rather have people over in the summer for BBQ's and such. I am more into Dutch Oven cooking than actual BBQing. Plus when its hot and you cook outside, your house stays cooler. That beer bread receipe was so simple yet so good, I'd rather use that than shortcake for strawberries and such. I must not give in to temptation and make it as often as I'd like, or my ass will get saggy.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit