obsession to count

by menrov 9 Replies latest jw experiences

• menrov
    menrov

Just returned from a funeral service for the (non-JW) husband of a JW in a funeral home. It was rather crowded. No JW discourse. But one elder suddenly stood up, walked to the back and started counting.....amazing... why ????? It is not a KH, not a meeting, not a JW organized meeting.....

Obsessed with counting????

• Darkknight757
    Darkknight757
    Force of habit.
  • slimboyfat
    slimboyfat
    Differently strange, but at the big New York conventions in 1958(?) they took to counting all sorts of stuff like tents, napkins and number of potatoes consumed. I think the obsession with counting was at its absolute peak in the early Knorr era: hail the theocracy ever increasing, wondrous expansion is now taking place.
  • Splash
    Splash

From mentalhelp.net

Constant Counting Disorder

This counting behavior may be nothing to speak of (clinical-wise), or possibly it could be an outward manifestation of an anxiety disorder, such as Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD), or possibly a neurological problem...

Counting things is a common behavioral theme, a sort of compulsion for some with OCD.
    A compulsion is a behavior that is acted out in an attempt to quiet down the obsessive thoughts.
    As such, it is typically an anxiety reducing behavior and that is why it is repeated so frequently. I’m not sure what obsession a counting compulsion might be compensating for... but the general pattern is that by acting out the behavior, people feel safer/better.

• Introvert 2
  • WingCommander
    WingCommander
    Elduhs = Social Retards.
  • sir82
    sir82

I've frequently heard the count of attendees of bigwig JWs who have died.

You know you are, er, were, elite, if you have 400 or more at your funeral.

• Half banana
    Half banana
    A really important funeral which must have taken a lot of time counting was at that of the celebrated and illustrious, God appointed president, our cherished and most beloved Joseph Franklin Rutherford. There were four at his funeral not counting the corpse.
  • Dunedain
    Dunedain
    @ - Halfbannana - Is that true, there were only 4 people at Rutherfords funeral?
  • Muddy Waters
    Muddy Waters
    I heard that there were very few people at his graveside service, about 3-4, and they were his "yes-men", not even his wife and son attended.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit