Goal: To digitize all WT statistical data

by ILoveTTATT2 16 Replies latest jw friends

• ILoveTTATT2
    ILoveTTATT2

You can see the Excel Spreadsheet of the names HERE.

It contains three sheets:

1) As in yearbook. The exact order and almost the exact spelling used.

2) Alphabetically: Organized alphabetically per year.

3) Alpha + years active. This helps to see when a "land" was added and/or removed and/or had a name change.

I am going to try and fill this spreadsheet up to 2016.

• Watchtower-Free
  • darkspilver
    darkspilver

Hi ILoveTTATT2!

Haha, yeah, I meant mostly the changing names of countries - from A to Z especially considering the historical nature of the data!

That's A for Aden Protectorate - now Yemen
    Through to Z for Zaire - now Congo, Dem Rep

Some might take issue with how WT divides up the countries/territories, but I think they do a fairly good job for an organization that operates as worldwide as they do.

But, of course that is not to say that it can be a geo-political minefield!

There's the issue of the dividing of places like Alaska and Hawaii from the USA - but they're separated from the main body of the USA, so to count them separately, in this context, can make sense. But you also need to remember the geographical history too...

Ask an American - when did Alaska and Hawaii join the Union?... and the answer is 1959

Less obvious, although a sea-girt territory, is the counting of Newfoundland separately from Canada up to 1981 - but again, there's some history behind it - in particular WT history and the way it operated....

Ask a Canadian JW - how many Branch Offices has the WT has operated at any one time in Canada?... and the answer is two

One in Toronto, and another, up to 1981, in St John's in Newfoundland

Likewise the WT has operated Branch Offices over the years in both Anchorage (for Alaska) and Honolulu (for Hawaii), which helps explains why these territories also have been separated out in the annual statisitcs over the years.

But much more onerous than the above is the naming by the WT of the Falkland Islands as the 'Malvinas Islands' up to 1982

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Sounds like a good idea. I wish I knew how to do it.

Alaska and Hawaii in or out US, South Sudan, Rhodesia, Zambia, mixing changing names all over the place. Complicated stuff. Good luck.

What are you going to do with all the data?

• ILoveTTATT2
    ILoveTTATT2
    What are you going to do with all the data?
    There is an incredible amount of things you can do once you have the data. For example, in what year were the witnesses covering the most/minimum amount of landmass of the Earth? There are some years, for example, where Russia and China were reporting. Easily the year in which the least number of countries reported was 1942.

Once we have access to all of the data in digital form, there is sooooo much that is possible to analyze!!

• ILoveTTATT2
    ILoveTTATT2

I have now finished all of the names of the countries that were in the report.

Pre-1947, when the first report came out like we know it, I had to judge whether to include that country in or not. For many years, for example, the name appears in the report, only to say that there is no report because the country is banned. So I had to use my judgement there.

Posting it up soon!!

• ILoveTTATT2
    ILoveTTATT2

Uploaded.

Try the link.

All names used by the WT (and I had to remove some) for every country, and every country that reported, from 1926 to 2016.

The link is HERE.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit