Disneyland gets rid of passes for special needs kids, PETITION TO SIGN

by neverthere 6 Replies latest social family

• neverthere
    neverthere

I got this from a web board that I am part of for Asperger's kids, please, if you can, sign this petition.

Please go to this and sign...Disneyland has got rid of the pass for speacial needs kids

www.petitiononline.com/BPparent/petition.html

• pettygrudger
    pettygrudger

Wow - Thanks Neverthere!!! I didn't realize Disney had changed their policy!

This I believe is against the law - Federal Regulations require they make accommodations for all special needs - not just those with "visible" impairments.

I smell a class action suit if they don't change their mind willingly! Of course, get enough Autism families standing in long lines while they are physically restraining their children during "melt downs" - can't imagine what other patrons will think of that, or how uncomfortable EVERYONE will be.

What list are you on for Aspergers btw? pm me if you wish.

Thanks again!

Rhonda

(mom to Nicholas - 7 y.o. w/severe autism).

• BeautifulGarbage
    BeautifulGarbage

Thank you so much, Neverthere, for passing this along!

I have an autistic neice.

Is this also the case for Disneyworld, I wonder?

Passing this along at another board (non jw) that would very much appreciate this information.

This totally bites!

• anglise
    anglise

I understood that you can still get a pass but not in advance.

You collect it when you get there.

This info was posted on a CHD group that I belong to, I havent checked it personally.

Anglise

• BeautifulGarbage
    BeautifulGarbage

This is quoted from another board I frequent (kid related) that has more than a casual interest in this topic. Apparently, the creator of the petition has her facts wrong.

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************

NO NO NO! This is NOT correct!

Let me clarify please, and yes, I speak with knowledge about Disneyland (in Anaheim).

The Special Assistance Pass (SAP) has been changed into an Special Assistance Card (SAC).

The reason for this is the SAP had become a front of the line pass and was so widely abused by people who didn't need it. The SAP was never meant to be a front of the line pass. The only people who were supposed to ever go to the front of the line were Make a Wish kids.

The SAC is supposed to do what the SAP was supposed to be all along. The SAC is supposed to provide alternate waiting areas, alternate access routes, allow a stroller to be used as a wheelchair but equal wait time. The alternate wait areas are supposed to be quieter with less stimuli.

There is no front of the line pass in Disney parks, and there was never supposed to be one. There is FastPass which everyone should learn about and use. There is off season where the rides are walk on.

I again, direct you to MousePad to learn about the new SAC. There is currently a really long thread about the new SAC. Taken from the first post kids with autism can still get the SAC.

This is from the first post

quote:
    1) The "Special Assistance Pass" is being replaced with a "Special Assistance Card."

2) IN GENERAL, visitors with ambulatory impairments are being issued a SAC. Those who use crutches, braces, canes or wheelchairs will be issued the card.

3) IN GENERAL, visitors with "endurance" issues are not being issued a SAC unless they are using a wheelchair. The definition of "endurance" impairment is not being disclosed.

I personally watched someone walk into City Hall and declare that she needed "one of those front of the line" passes because she had a pacemaker and could not stand in line. The cast member told her that they are no longer issuing SAPs to people with endurance issues, and that the visitor would need to rent a wheelchair. The woman's daughter came back and said that her mother was perfectly able to walk, but that she could not stand in line. The cast member repeated that she would need to rent a wheelchair in order to get a SAC.

4) IN GENERAL, parents with autistic children can still get the SAC.

5) IN GENERAL, people with sun allergies and related impairments will not be issued the SAC.

There is no written policy that guest relations could give me. Basically, they are handling these things on a case-by-case basis. I am working to get some official comments on this change, and I'll share them as I get them.

I ask that you go there to learn about this. You'll learn what the SAP was supposed to be and what it has become, and you'll learn why the SAC was put into place. You can also post and get your questions answered by people who frequent the parks.

You may feel this isn't fair, that your kids can't wait in lines and you want a front of the line pass. In that case I recommend you visit during the off season.

*********************************************************************************************

Just passing it along

• Eyebrow2
    Eyebrow2

THAT makes much more sense.

thanks

• LukeN
    LukeN

concurence

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit