What is Love?

by dh 33 Replies latest jw friends

• dh
    dh

what is it? i haven't got a clue!

most people have some first love experience, i don't, i've never been in love in my life, i just have a minefield of meaningless junk.

tell me a love story, i'm bored and miserable and it's cold outside.

• darkuncle29
    darkuncle29

When I was 12, I had a crush on this one girl. We kissed in front of everybody one time. She turned out to be a lesbian, and I'm gay. So, "What's up with that?"

Is that what you had in mind for a story? I know its not much of a story, but the details would disturb some people.

• dh
    dh

• Sirona
    Sirona

I don't know. According to the skeptics, it doesn't exist because it can't be put into a test tube and looked at.

Sirona

PS. Sick of the fundamentalist religio-skeptics

• darkuncle29
    darkuncle29

Sirona.

I almost feel sorry for people like that, their world is so small and impersonal. It has no magic or surprise.

OOpps. Sorry to hijack thread. That girl I mentioned earlier, she beat the tar out of me one day, and I enjoyed every minute of it. Why did she beat my ass? Maybe I'll tell.

• maxwell
    maxwell

1 Corinthians 13

1 If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal. 2 And if I have prophetic powers, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. 3 If I give away all I have, and if I deliver my body to be burned, but have not love, I gain nothing. 4 Love is patient and kind; love is not jealous or boastful; 5 it is not arrogant or rude. Love does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful; 6 it does not rejoice at wrong, but rejoices in the right. 7 Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. 8 Love never ends; as for prophecies, they will pass away; as for tongues, they will cease; as for knowledge, it will pass away. 9 For our knowledge is imperfect and our prophecy is imperfect; 10 but when the perfect comes, the imperfect will pass away. 11 When I was a child, I spoke like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child; when I became a man, I gave up childish ways. 12 For now we see in a mirror dimly, but then face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall understand fully, even as I have been fully understood. 13 So faith, hope, love abide, these three; but the greatest of these is love.

Revised Standard Version-Bible.com

I am agnostic and I no longer see the Bible as an authoritative holy book, but I still haven't seen a better definition of love than that given at 1 Corinthians 13. I do take exception to some of the absolutes in verse 7 (For example, a person should not bear or endure abuse from his or her spouse in the name of love). However, I do think that overall its a nice broad view of love. There are other more specific types of love like romantic love or falling in love. But it seems to me that if you can "fall into" love, you can just as easily "fall out" of it. It would need some of the qualities above to be true life-long love.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

Love is like getting indigestion from creme brulee.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

A 23 year old man from the North of England says to his Girlfriend -- How do I know if I am in love? A few minutes later he puts his erect member into her orifice and the northern lady says " You are in, Love"

e-man should appreciate this one

• frenchbabyface
    frenchbabyface

OMG ... that's a question

Ok ... The only one time I think/thought I've been in love ... Is because I had no control at all over it (till I've understand why) ...

I've found out what could have been the reason why I thought I fell in love with him later ... we had the same childwood : same kind of parents - a mother religious sick not JW - same situation as a kid (too poor, we had to live once in a while in an other familly) same trouble with his mother and brothers considared as stubborn ... That's really our souls that bring us together like brother and sister ... not "love" exactly ...

That is how little by little I realised that in fact I loved him also like a friend, but I loved him deeply because we were able to have the same feelings (about lots of things - deep understanding without talking - same ressentiments about life - and very independant), and for real now I wonder what's the difference ... different kind of love and degrees but it's still love anyway

And somehow I wonder if the troubles (violence) I've had to face with Anthony's father, was related or not to the fact that he thought I didn't love him ... (terrible when I think about it) ... I think that most of our trouble came because he wanted me to love him,(all the girls that sticked to him got kicked out). Question of EGO I guess ... but I loved him for real (otherwise I wouldn't have my baby with him ... I know it, but I began to NOT BEING ABLE TO LOVE him when he became sneaky, selfish and violent)

" What is love ? ... baby don't hurt me ...." (Haddaway ... LOL) at least not on purpose so I can understand !!!

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart

LOL at Sixy! I agree with the Bible's definition of love, and will add this: true love is not instantaneous, though you may know with a certainty at the time of meeting that this is "it." True love grows over time into a beautiful panoply of shared memories, agreements and disagreements, warm moments of companionship, peaceful silence and animated conversation, a feeling of well-being around each other, a little thrill when you hear the other's voice, support, understanding, and the knowledge that no matter what you do that person will still be there (even if I did hog the middle of the bed last night).

Nina

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit