Jesus -- "God" or "son of God"

by JH 12 Replies latest jw friends

• JH
    JH

I remember when I was an active witness, how I tried to convert my parents to the JW religion. My father said that he knew that the witnesses were wrong because they didn't believe that Jesus was God all mighty.

Going door to door and speaking to people of other religions, the hardest thing was to make people understand that only Jehovah was God, and that Jesus was only an angel.

I know that there are many verses in the bible that could let us to believe that Jesus is equal to God. Like where Jesus is called our father, and where he is also called "alpha and omega".

For those who do still believe in God, do you think Jesus is God or son of God, and what verses make you believe this?

• logansrun
    logansrun

Um...trinitarians would say he is both. The Father is God, the Son is God and the Holy Spirit is God. Yet, there is only one God.

Of course, everyone knows that I'm God so it really doesn't matter now does it?

B.P.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

The Son of God and thus has enormous power in his own right

• Gopher
    Gopher

I just hated Trinity discussions with true Trinitarians. It was like scriptural pac-man: Whose bible verse could swallow the other person's bible verse?

Maybe it's the JW training in me, but Jesus being God still doesn't make sense. The verses that did it for me were John 1:2 which said that, while in heaven, the Word was WITH God. Also the later verse where Jesus said "I'm returning to your Father and my Father, and to your God and my God." So if Jesus had a God, evidently he worshipped that one too. Any "worship" Jesus received would seem to be subservient to the worship of his Father.

• Joysome
    Joysome

Or even the logically reasons. "No one can see God and yet live" Jesus was on earth so how is he going to be God? Or when Jesus was praying to God. Why would he need to pray to himself?

• Undecided
    Undecided

If Jesus is God, how could he be a ransom to himself.

Ken P.

• Carmel
    Carmel

Jesus made it plan that He was the perfect "image" of God. So it is easy to understand the references that make it sound like He and His Father are the same while at the same time clealy indicating His Father was greater and apart from Him. Check your concordance.

carmel

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

I just hated Trinity discussions with true Trinitarians. It was like scriptural pac-man: Whose bible verse could swallow the other person's bible verse? Maybe it's the JW training in me, but Jesus being God still doesn't make sense. The verses that did it for me were John 1:2 which said that, while in heaven, the Word was WITH God. Also the later verse where Jesus said "I'm returning to your Father and my Father, and to your God and my God." So if Jesus had a God, evidently he worshipped that one too. Any "worship" Jesus received would seem to be subservient to the worship of his Father. Also praying why did Jesus pray to himself if he was God - EXACTLY HOW I STILL FEEL

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Is "God" an individual or a class of being?

He is clearly the "Son of God", according to scripture, which includes all the power, glory and worshipability of the Father. Anything further than that is likely to degenerating into another full blown Trinity thread, of which most of us have had our fill (but at a pinch, probably not I ).

Whilst Isaiah 9:6 gives him the title "Eternal Father" he is clearly not to be confused with "THE Father", and few Trinitarians make that mistake.

In the case of John 1, William Barclay is a balanced read on the subject.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Yes littletoe -- I too have had enough of trinitarian discussions - they become boring and cliched after a while -- I will try and make this my last post on the subject

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit