What's Wrong With AOL Anyway?

by Englishman 28 Replies latest jw friends

• Englishman
    Englishman

Yeah!

C'mon, you computer whizzkids, tell me why you rubbish AOL!

Obviously, it's a dumb name to give to the UK sector. America On Line is hardly an accurate description for this passionate patriot in WSM! But, apart from that particular folly, just what is wrong with it?

I got broadband, free firewalls, free virus checkers, no spam, and all for £27.99 per month. They also spell in English English.

Now that's not bad, surely?

Englishman.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

I use AOL e-man --- I love it

• City Fan
    City Fan

I seem to get lots of emails to my AOL mail account offering pills to enlarge my penis, boost my sex-drive, grow more hair and reduce my waistline. So now I pay for a separate email account.

Actually if there was a single pill that did all that I might be interested!!!!

CF.

• Englishman
    Englishman

Hello, Mr Axe wielder!

For my first year on line I selected Madasafish as my ISP. Then I tried Freeserve (Uuurgh!) before plumping for AOL.

AOL seems fine, I just can understand why those "in the know" rubbish it so.

Englishman.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

AOL is the choice of I.T. professionals everywhere!

ouch! I bit my tongue again!

• Valis
    Valis

AOL has always sucked....they started out w/their own dialer for Windows, which was a huge mistake versus simply creating a dialup connection profile w/the existing Dialup Networking that was there and simply waiting to be learned and used. IMO, the first AOL and Compuserve programmers never got out of the old thinking where every package that required dialup access before had its own dialer. A real pain lemme tell you. They could have taken more of a individualized approach for controlling media like MSN/Disney did some years back. Instead you have a "community" of controlled, monitored and over advertised krap. The other thing is that they charge so much because they are way topheavy...afterall they bought Netscape, virtually gone to hell in a handbasket, which IMO is why they still have to charge so much. AND I won't even mention the waste they create sending out their stupid CDs all the time....

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• Shutterbug
    Shutterbug
    Obviously, it's a dumb name to give to the UK sector. America On Line is hardly an accurate description for this passionate patriot in WSM

Does this mean us Yanks should reject any product with the following names attached, British, United Kingdom, British Isles, England etc. ??

• dolphman
    dolphman

For me, AOL is like going to WAL-MART. Lot's of cheap sh*t that never works well, is poorly made for the masses to consume.

• seven006
    seven006

Mike,

I use it specifically for one reason. When I do web work, I need to check how it will look at the lowest, shittyist and most screwed up Internet connection possible. I also check on a shitty monitor, using a shitty PC with old peoples monitor settings. In that aspect, AOL has never let me down.

Dave

• Valis
    Valis

seven...on a side note you might find this interesting. One of the ways AOL tries to give a faster connection is by rendering images w/less resolution...How bad would that suck...to photochop all day and then have it come out like some of my work? *LOL*

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit