Jesus confuses his apostles about baptism

by RULES & REGULATIONS 11 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• RULES & REGULATIONS
    RULES & REGULATIONS

Jesus's apostles were confused by some of his sayings. They didn't understand the true sense of what Jesus was trying to tell them about baptism. "No one'', he said, ''would get the true meaning of this scripture until a modern day "organization" in the 21st century rises up and reveals the truth."

Matthew 28:19, 20 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and do you also understand that your dedication and baptism identify you as one of Jehovah's Witnesses: Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the world. Amen.”

Today (2019), with the help and direction of the present day Governing Body, everyone who wishes to get baptized understands the true meaning of Matthew 28:19,20.

• TTWSYF
    TTWSYF

lol, only in watchtower world are the apostles confused,

If you read the writings of Ignatius of Antioch [disciple of the apostle John] or Clement of Rome [disciple of the apostle Peter] you'd see that it's pretty clear that they were not confused about being baptized.

We are only as smart as our sources of information. The more sources of information, the better.

If the WTS is your only source, then , yes, you'd be confused.

The Truth Will Set You Free

• steve2
    steve2

Latest: JW org have officially excluded Jesus from the "privilege" of preaching. Only when he cuts his long, curly hair, shaves off his beard and stops wearing dresses can he go anywhere near the territory to door-knock. And he most definitely cannot man a literature cart.

• RULES & REGULATIONS
    RULES & REGULATIONS

TTWSYF

This is post is tongue in cheek/irony: the use of words to express something other than and especially the opposite of the literal meaning

• john.prestor
    john.prestor

TTWSYF, Clement didn't follow Peter, and Ignatius didn't follow John. I've read 'their' writings (the letters of Ignatius, 1 Clement and 2 Clement) and neither one of them claimed to follow those men. That's late legend. Check your facts before you make claims like that.

• WillYouDFme
    WillYouDFme

Everything about the bible is confusing.

It is like reading Tea Leaves, i will say whatever you want it to say.

Thus the THOUSANDS of christian denominations and the many major divisions and contradictory beliefs with in them.

• WillYouDFme
    WillYouDFme

Lord of the Rings has a tighter storyline than the bible.

• sir82
    sir82

lol, only in watchtower world are the apostles confused,

Yep.

They were confused about the overlapping generations, too. Too bad they didn't have Splane there to diagram it for them.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

only in watchtower world are the apostles confused,

Too damn bad they didn't have some superpowerful, hocus pocus thing (like the Holy Spirit) to keep their asses straight so they wouldn't be confused.

• TTWSYF
    TTWSYF

Rules and Regs - Yes, I was a bit cheeky, but not tongue in cheek.

John P- You are indeed correct that I have made a mistake. Clement of Rome was a disciple of Paul, not Peter. My bad. Other than that, I believe my claims are correct.

Have you really read their writings ? or have you just read 'Should you believe in the trinity' booklet and that was your source of their writings? Just asking because It's not a legend that those anti nicene fathers were directly taught by those apostles, historically speaking, Clement of Rome was the 3rd bishop of Rome after Peter, then Linus. it's a historical fact. Over 30k of written pages preserved from the early church that , of course, do not have the authority of the scriptures, but do have the authority of history.

I am currently reading Four Witnesses -The Early Church in Her Own Words by Rod Bennett

Check it out on Amazon. Hundreds of 5 star reviews, one 1 star review..... from a JW.

Check out another book The oldest book written of the early church 325ad History of the Church written by Eusebius Pamphilus

Eusibius writes that Clement is indeed one of the workers with Paul who 'labored side by side in the gospel' and 'whose names are in the book of life'

admittedly, I am a novice on my scholarly research. We are only as smart as our sources. I now know that out of the 40k or so Christian denominations, that 39,999 were started by men [and] or women. Only one was started by Christ Jesus and commissioned by Jesus to spread His gospel Mathew Ch 28

The Great Commission
    18Then Jesus came to them and said, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to Me. 19Therefore go and make disciples of allnations, baptizing them in the name of the Father,and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit, 20and teaching them to obey all that I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.”…

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit