Hi all!....say, remember Paradise Lost book? (the orange one...LOL)

by Ron1968 14 Replies latest jw friends

• CyrusThePersian
    CyrusThePersian

Hi all!

Unfortunately (at least for me!) the Paradise Lost book is not from the seventies- it's from the FIFTIES. (1958 I think) My Dad studied that book with us til we had the #&^% thing memorized. I still remember how horrified I was at the "armageddon" picture, especially at the little girl falling into the crack in the earth, still clutching her doll. Yuck! And to think, this book was "marketed" toward kids! Double yuck!!

Now for your entertainment pleasure I give you Duncan's marvelous story based on that armageddon picture. I guarantee you'll laugh so much you'll forget, at least for a second, how horrible that picture is:

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/6/3405/1.ashx

CyrusThePersian

• TD
    TD

You mean this paradise book?

• joannadandy
    joannadandy

Don't waste your time. Paradise Lost by Milton is MUCH better!

• TD
    TD

One thing that I always thought was not only interesting about the Paradise book, but about JW's in general was the picture on page 8

Very early editions of the book showed a tree with a cluster of bananas that was drawn wrong:

Subsequent editions of the book took this approach to the mistake:

The mistake had arguably been "fixed," but the approach was not to go back and redraw it correctly, but to eliminate all reference to the mistake entirely by "moving" the offending tree in the illustration. It now appeared as if it had never happened at all.

• mustang
    mustang

Indeed, it is from 1958. Mine has the cluster of bananas hanging from the palm tree. It also has 3 dinosaurs (one swimming, one flying, one walking on land) in the illustration on the front endsheet. (I still prefer the dinosaur walking on hind feet in the NWT. )

Mustang

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit