Comments You Will Not Hear at the 1-25-04 WT Study

by blondie 35 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Room 215
    Room 215

``Some 90 years have passed since the last days of this system of things began in 1914." This strikes me as a not-so-subtle attempt at preemption, to head off the obvious objection, i.e. that this ``wicked system" has lasted far longer than anyone expected and is making long-time JWs and their leaders squirm with discomfort. After all, if any JW suggested back when I started in the late fifties, that we wouldn't see Armageddon until well into the next century, what would have been the reaction?

So, the subliminal message behind this little is: we know it's been 90 years; we can count... still we're undeterred and not shaken in the least, and neither should you be!

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart
    are they really going to swallow this all over again?

Sadly, yes. This past weekend I spoke with an older JW whom I've known my entire life and used to look up to (DIM knows her), and she told me that she had a stroke back in September that paralyzed her left side. She mentioned this Watchtower article and said, trying to be her old forceful self, that the end was coming any minute now. This time she sounded as though she was trying to convince herself. Very sad.

Nina

• blondie
    blondie

Many JWs feel that life is something you put off to a future date to live. Then they get old and sick, the end is not yet, but the end is yet, their death and those around them. "I never expected to die in this system of things" is the cry of many a JW in my mother's generation.

Yesterday is history.
    Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift...that's why they call it the present. ...

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly
    Probably why there is a high overuse of alcohol and prescription drugs.

LOL - Too true!

Then there are the cynics who see the manipulation for what it is, go away and fume.

Yes, I "fume" but with a purpose.

Actually, that comment with the rolleyes smilie wasn't directed at you I was thinking of myself. Yes, you fume with a purpose!

• willyloman
    willyloman
    Many long-time Witnesses I know are learning these types of languages, ostensibly to help out. But there are lots of native speaking people of those languages, so they really don't need massive droves of "foreigners" in their congregations. I truly think it's because the R&F are bored out of their minds and need to do something to keep themselves distracted.

Acsot: Yes, I've noticed this trend, too. I believe it's a way of "hiding in plain sight." Having been in one congo for many, many years, I was amazed when we moved away and the new congregation was so "refreshing." Everybody love-bombed us, and we didn't know anything about anyone's past history so they were all a blank slate. For a short time, it was easy to imagine that these people were all nearly perfect and we were safely inside the walls of a spiritual paradise.

Those illusions were quickly set aside, of course, but I can imagine how intensified this effect must be in a congo where no one speaks your language! The language serves as a barrier between you and the rest of the congo, and many people have sought refuge behind that wall. It allows them to be intellectually challenged or stimulated for short bursts of time, then stroll away and become anonymous.

• blondie
    blondie
    Yes, you fume with a purpose!

Thanks, Ann, I do what I can. Some day I may be the #1 apostate (hahahaha).

I was amazed when we moved away and the new congregation was so "refreshing." Everybody love-bombed us, and we didn't know anything about anyone's past history so they were all a blank slate. For a short time, it was easy to imagine that these people were all nearly perfect and we were safely inside the walls of a spiritual paradise.

Good point, willyloman, Could be why I changed congos or moved so much.

Blondie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit