Myths

by rocketman 18 Replies latest jw friends

• gumby
    gumby

I think if I had to make moonshine, plow my field till dark.....and then some......,then chop that wood to keep the house warm, then sit in a wooden rockin chair staring at the wall till it was time to go to bed after you heated the water so you could take a lukewarm bath....,

that I would trade it to live in todays modern world. So would ANY woman.

Life today is good compared to life 70 years ago. Life is better than it was in the 70's too. Aren't you glad you don't have to look like David Cassidy anymore?

Gumby

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow
    Is it just me? Am I just looking at the negative side? Anyone else feel like this??

Mary, I have mixed feelings. On the one hand we do have so many positives. On the other the negatives are very glaring. What good does good medical care do the world if most of the world's population has no access to it? This includes millions of people in the richest country in the world, our USA. What good does it do to have a lowered crime rate, a very small drop, if teenagers and younger children go into school and take target practice on their classmates and teachers? What good does it do to have modern farming techniques if corporations take over and run all the world's small farmers out of business. Then they offer us tasteless, nutritient poor, neatly packaged, pretty food? What good does it do to have all the modern technology available to educate our kids about culture and then spoon feed them products like Christina Aguilera, Britney Spears and Justin Timberlake? Not too mention that these kids have no idea what a healthy role model is.

Maybe the USA and Britain are to fall like the Roman Empire did, victims of their own love of comfort. Maybe the world as we know it is not going to last. Perhaps things will fall apart and then be rebuilt. You know, history repeating itself?

But what can we do? Just try to make the most positive experience for ourselves, kids, grandkids and others that we can, while we are still here. Somehow we have to keep the bad things in perspective and get the most we can out of life and contribute good things to the world.

As for that show, probably they are right about many beliefs being myths. Perhaps they are also trying to encourage us all to put on a great big pair of rose lensed glasses.

Aren't you glad you don't have to look like David Cassidy anymore?

Gumby

Actually, I've always liked looking at him. I was 11 when The Partridge family started airing. At least their music was mostly upbeat and made a lot of kids "get happy". We knew it was silliness and we had the Beatles and Motown, etc. to balance out the bubblegum.

Heather

• Mulan
    Mulan

I also saw that show, and thought it was pretty neat the evidence he presented. There must have been many JW's who saw that show and will wonder. It may not make them leave the WTS, but it is one of those things that will trouble them. I liked when he interviewed several people, over 100 years old, who remember tough times, and who said that this is the best time to be living, and the safest.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Gumby:

Life today is good compared to life 70 years ago. Life is better than it was in the 70's too. Aren't you glad you don't have to look like David Cassidy anymore?

So true. But I still think you're a b*st*rd, coz David Cassidy's hairstyle is back in - LOL.

• Mulan
    Mulan
    Life is better than it was in the 70's too.

The clothes are back too, all those garish colors and stripes. Yuck!! I hated them in the 70's and I hate them more now.

• BeautifulGarbage
    BeautifulGarbage

I caught a little bit of the show. Though, I think I had seen, or read, something similiar not long ago that basically said the same thing-times are much better now.

My Dad was a rabid dooms dayer. Oye! That man could go on for hours about how gawd-awful everything is and how much worse it's getting, and how much worse it's going to be. Granted, some things AREN'T as good as they used to be, however, some things, MANY THINGS, are much better.

Especially, if you are a female in western society. Do I want to go back to the days when I couldn't own property, or have a job? That I would be merely a broodmare for some dude and expected wait on him hand and foot? Uh, no thanks.

Anyone watch "The Barbarians" on the History channel? Oh yeah, I want to go back to the days when children were sold into slavery, and women were taken as the spoils of war. How I long for the days when the Huns used to chop off the heads of their enemies, toss them in a pile, and set them on fire.

For women, it's much better now.

• garybuss
    garybuss

My life is going downhill. I find myself attracted to 50 + year old women.

• gumby
    gumby
    My life is going downhill. I find myself attracted to 50 + year old women.

Your correct Gary....it IS going downhill

I'm a dirty old man cuz the 20 plus ones look REEEEEEEEEAL nice still.

Gumby

*disgusted at myself because my own daughter is 29*

• garybuss
    garybuss

Sounds like we are about the same age.

I wouldn't want to live back in the 1950's, let alone the 1750's. Only a fool would think it would be better to live 1,000 years ago.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit